Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Yeah - Titans does usually outsell Champions - but since this was a #1, Champions should've done better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's not Damian's team, it's the more adult Titans team with Donna Troy, Raven, Beast Boy, Miss Martian, and now Kyle Rayner.
    And Steel (who is very similar to Ironheart).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah - Titans does usually outsell Champions - but since this was a #1, Champions should've done better.

And Steel (who is very similar to Ironheart).
    That version of The Titans aren't really competing with The Champions. The Teen Titans are the competition.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-05-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

I wouldn't worry about it. Champions is not going to suddenly become a top seller, #1 or no. If it boosts sales over the previous volume, that's enough.

Incredible Member

Depending on how this shakes up (and not saying that i want this to happen) but is anyone entertaining the idea of Miles leaving the team, be it voluntary or otherwise? Only bringing this up due to Jim saying that the Champions will take part in War of the Realms in one way or another, but at the same time Miles will be in the Journey into Mystery mini series as well. And unless his schedule is Super flexible Wolverine-Style, i don't see him doing both during one event.

Now the team could just split up and assist different factions which is way more feasible with the expanded roster, but at the same time, if there is gonna be weight to the whole ending to #1 thing, i feel there has to be some kind of blow dealt to the Champions, and i'd have Miles leave the team (if only for a while) rather than have the team stay together but CAN WE REALLY TRUST EACH OTHER AHOOWAHAHHAAA???? Which the Champions have thankfully avoided all this time. And just want to state again i don't want Miles to leave, him, Kamala, and Sam are definitely off limits in my mind
    Last edited by Nerwrax15; 01-05-2019 at 12:14 PM.

I already asked Zub about this, and he just said to keep reading. Well, we can read between the lines there, I think. Perhaps he takes a temporary leave of absence after the Mephisto plot. Then gets caught up in Journey Into Mystery. And then afterwards, Kamala will reach out, and try to get him to return. In the meantime, Silk would serve as a substitute spider (I think all of the reinforcements will be making actual physical appearances in the near future). She could also help Kamala try to get him back into the fold.

I'd be very surprised if he left permanently. And the new Marvel Rising comic may be a factor too, as Miles is supposed to be in that (apparently in Gwen's place), alongside Kamala.

Think about Secret Empire. Kamala, Cyclops, and Nova were all gone (due to tie-ins in Secret Warriors, X-Men Blue, and in Nova's case, the main event book itself). Kamala took part in Infinity Wars as well, but apparently that takes place before Champions #22.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-05-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

We should know what's going on with Sam by issue 4.
    http://jimzub.tumblr.com/post/181708...-a-lot-o-drama
    Not a fan of the "question" poser here, who's words reek of disingenuity and/or sheer ignorance of who Sam is and what he's already had to go through. Sam's not as new a character as some people seem to think, and he's already gone through a lot in his relatively short existence. Whoever this person is, it seems like they don't really know Sam at all, nor have they really read any of his runs or other outings. It seems more like they got their picture of Sam secondhand from a Sam-hater, or an Ultimate Spider-Man hater who never acknowledged Sam as more than his early-series self.

While it isn't like he's never had a moment of cockiness, to roughly sum Sam up with the word "cocky" makes no sense (once again, conflating the early Sam from Ultimate Spider-Man, and even there, such a sweeping label is disingenuous). Furthermore, Sam has more than proven he deserves the helmet and accompanying suit of a Nova through all the other trials and tribulations he's gone through, something this person didn't seem to acknowledge, and potentially didn't even know was true. It is as if the person never actually read Sam until now, and so believes Jim Zub is the first writer to develop or progress Sam's character.

It rubs me the wrong way.

So while we're near the topic of the DC Titans groups, in another thread on here about Marvel characters that fit more into DC and vice-versa...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Ms Marvel: Is carrying on another heroes legacy. No real personal tragedy to motivate her. Has no real rough edges. Well adjusted. She turned The Champions into Marvel's version of The Legion Of Superheroes. Boring...but the good kind of boring.
    I'm rather curious at this analogy. Admittedly the Legion has always confused me in the DC Universe because of far-future shenanigans, time travel and all that stuff, not to mention that my only real exposure to them was their short-lived cartoon that never gained as much notoriety as Teen Titans' cartoon did. Is it because of the current Champions being a large roster with a wide variety of powers and skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    That version of The Titans aren't really competing with The Champions. The Teen Titans are the competition.
    Arn't all comics in competition with each other? It is silly to think two books are in any kind of competition beyond the larger industry.

About the champions I like large teams and I am looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Question how are the champions funded?

Very good question. I would imagine Amadeus used to fund the team, but he lost most of his money due to having to pay for the mess he caused as Hulk at the end of his solo. Kamala and Miles are in no position to help, neither can Riri or Sam. You would have to imagine that either Janet van Dyne or Vision fund the team now, having been asked to do so by Nadia or Viv.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    So while we're near the topic of the DC Titans groups, in another thread on here about Marvel characters that fit more into DC and vice-versa...

I'm rather curious at this analogy. Admittedly the Legion has always confused me in the DC Universe because of far-future shenanigans, time travel and all that stuff, not to mention that my only real exposure to them was their short-lived cartoon that never gained as much notoriety as Teen Titans' cartoon did. Is it because of the current Champions being a large roster with a wide variety of powers and skills?
    Probably, yeah. Though the Legion has a rule about power duplication - so for example, Supergirl and Superboy couldn't be members at the same time.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-07-2019 at 03:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

Probably, yeah. Though the Legion has a rule about power duplication - so for example, Supergirl and Superboy couldn't be members at the same time.
    Never considered the Legion much outside the aforementioned animated series, but that feels like such a petty rule that makes little real sense in-universe and only out-of-universe as justification not to "double up". Having the same or similar power doesn't mean two or even more heroes couldn't contribute different aspects to the team, or two or more multiple sub-units within the team with either "power-redundant" member, nor does it mean that such redundancy would always be redundant; there are plenty of circumstances where having both Superboy and Supergirl on the same team at the same time would be excellent, as an example.

Sub-units... yeah, pretty much what the Champions were doing with that three team split (with a fourth in reserve). But even then, Kamala did place Snowguard and Falcon on the same squad. That, and the lack of time travel, are two major differences between the Legion and the Champions. The Champions, in terms of what they do, are in fact more like a larger version of the senior Titans.

And speaking of the Legion, Bleeding Cool suggests that Bendis is bringing it back. That means he'd be writing two teen teams (the other one being Young Justice), and DC have another two by other writers (the Titans books). Marvel need to counter-attack, fast, as all of the DC brands are longer established. Three-pronged assault. Champions, Young Avengers, and an X book?

Sub-units... yeah, pretty much what the Champions were doing with that three team split (with a fourth in reserve). But even then, Kamala did place Snowguard and Falcon on the same squad. That, and the lack of time travel, are two major differences between the Legion and the Champions. The Champions, in terms of what they do, are in fact more like a larger version of the senior Titans.

And speaking of the Legion, Bleeding Cool suggests that Bendis is bringing it back. That means he'd be writing two teen teams (the other one being Young Justice), and DC have another two by other writers (the Titans books). Marvel need to counter-attack, fast, as all of the DC brands are longer established. Three-pronged assault. Champions, Young Avengers, and an X book?
    I vote for Champions, New Champions, Young Champions, All-New All-Different Champions, and Spider-Man and the Champions

Uncanny X-Men #9 (re: Champions #24):
    spoilers:
    Goldballs has recovered from the injuries sustained in Champions #24. He was with Triage, who must've healed him so that he could answer Jean Grey's telepathic summons.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    If Triage can get you out of a wheelchair, then I hope no one in the Marvel Universe is disabled and that he's also rich and famous.
    end of spoilers
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Uncanny X-Men #9 (re: Champions #24):
    spoilers:
    Goldballs has recovered from the injuries sustained in Champions #24. He was with Triage, who must've healed him so that he could answer Jean Grey's telepathic summons.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Was Fabio permanently disabled? I thought he was on only a wheelchair until his injuries would be healed.
    end of spoilers