Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    That can't be right. Popular characters don't get their books cancelled on a regular basis.
    Well to be fair, this mini is so out of touch with even its own reality that nothing in it can be taken as canon

That can't be right. Popular characters don't get their books cancelled on a regular basis.
    Popular characters do get animated series and award-winning movies though :P

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Popular characters do get animated series and award-winning movies though :P
    Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it, Disney is no exception. Copying all the bad ideas from 2015 can only end the same way a second time - with a rolling wave of cancellations as the studios realise these 'popular' characters are unprofitable. Learn the right lessons from the cancellation of the Champions and don’t repeat this folly a third time.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it, Disney is no exception. Copying all the bad ideas from 2015 can only end the same way a second time - with a rolling wave of cancellations as the studios realise these 'popular' characters are unprofitable. Learn the right lessons from the cancellation of the Champions and don’t repeat this folly a third time.
    "We need more wolverine stat"

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    A casting call for Wandavision is asking for male and female babies. If one of the babies is a girl, that probably means Viv is getting added to the MCU (along with Wiccan - sorry, Speed fans).
    https://twitter.com/stellaistired/st...93985511153664
    They're looking for babies from ages 0-1, so their gender doesn't necessarily reflect the gender of the babies in the story, 'cause kids that age can easily pass for any gender. They could simply be covering their bases by having more child actors options, since working with babies can be difficult + they're not allowed to work for too much time, so they might need more than one baby for the role (and if they're casting twins, that means they might need at least four different babies). It's pretty common for TV/movie productions to do that.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 10-04-2019 at 01:24 AM.

I don’t get what that has to do with my argument that characters that aren’t necessarily good at selling books are not automatically unpopular characters, as seen with most of these Champion characters receiving amazing public praise in movies and other media.

Yeah, don't forget, we only know the direct market numbers. And despite Moon Girl's direct market numbers being less than 10k for quite some time, she still made it to issue 47 and is getting a cartoon. Squirrel Girl sells almost as badly in the direct market and made it to issue 50 (58 if you ignore the Secret Wars relaunch) - and she wasn't even cancelled, the writer chose to end it. Unstoppable Wasp, also a very low direct market seller which caused it to be axed before the first trade was released, turned out to popular enough in TPB that it got uncancelled, allowing it's writer to finish his planned story.

And you can't argue that Kamala and Miles aren't popular. Miles sells pretty well and Kamala does okay, and both of them have never been cancelled (Miles's relaunches have been due to Cataclysm, Secret Wars, and a writer change, and Kamala's due to the latter two).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I don’t get what that has to do with my argument that characters that aren’t necessarily good at selling books are not automatically unpopular characters, as seen with most of these Champion characters receiving amazing public praise in movies and other media.
    Yes, people will try to point to the cancellation of something like The Champions and say that it proves that catering to a younger, more diverse audience is a path to failure while also completely ignoring the simple fact that many well-liked, long-established characters also can't sustain books.

How many times have Iron Fist and Luke Cage had books that failed to sell - either as solo acts or together? A bit, I'd say. And how many times has Doctor Strange had his title cancelled? More than a few. Or The Punisher. Or Moon Knight. And how many teams books have failed to go the distance? That'd be a long list. Point being that very few titles are able to become mainstays like ASM or The Avengers. Most books have their time and run their course.

The original Champions run lasted 17 issues. This one went for 37 all together. Not bad. Who knows how long The Champions will go for the next time around?

41 issues, when you count Monsters Unleashed, Infinity Countdown, and the Annual.

And yeah, even Thor was cancelled at one point.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Champions TPB containing issues 7-10 will contain 2015's Nova #1 instead of the originally solicited but non-existent Champions #11.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...s-collections/

Remember that time Batman was almost cancelled because of low sales ?

You mean Detective Comics, right? In the late 70s? They ended up cancelling Batman Family instead. Batman itself has never been threatened with cancellation.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Family_Vol_1

Incredible Member

I actually met Jim Zub at New York Comic Con, he seemed super nice told him I loved his run of Champions and I got him to sign my issue of Champions #10.

He wrote You Are A Champion on there as well made me so happy.

I wonder if he'll be announcing anything while he's there? We know he has a mystery Marvel project launching in February, so it could be announced at NYCC.

Incredible Member

I thought he was done with Marvel, especially considering he didn't have any of his Marvel stuff at his booth.