Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Duke Thomas: The Signal Appreciation 2019

New Year, New thread!

Here's hoping for some good Duke action in 2019 on Outsiders and beyond!

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Created by: Scott Snyder (writer) Greg Capullo (artist)

First Appearance: Batman Vol 2 #21 (August 2013).

Powers: Duke is a metahuman with photokinetic vision, meaning, Duke has the ability to absorb light through his eyes faster than normal humans and manipulate the way he processes light. Duke can see beyond the visible light spectrum, detecting changes and variations in light that other people can't, he can see a few minutes into the past by looking at the "ghosts" of where light has hit the objects in his vicinity, and he can glimpse into the future by seeing where light will be. Duke's precognitive abilities, plus his training from Batman and all of his former Robins, give him an edge in combat, being able to react faster to attacks than normally possible and even catch projectiles in some cases.

Duke's metahuman abilities come from naturally occurring traces of Nth metal in his bloodstream, inherited from both of his biological parents; Elaine Thomas and Gnomon. Duke's unique metahuman physiology gives him an affinity for Nth metal, often becoming reactive in the presence of powerful forms of Nth and/or 8th metal. Particularly potent forms of Nth metal can amplify his visions, allowing longer more vivid visions into the past and across dimensions, even hearing some audio.

Essential Reading

We are Robin (2015-2016) written by Lee Bermejo, art by Khary Randolph
    Robin War (2016) written by Various Writers, art by Various Artists
    Dark Days: The Forge & The Casting (2017) written by Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV, art by Jim Lee, Andy Kubert, and John Romita Jr.
    Batman and The Signal (2018) story by Scott Snyder, written by Tony Patrick, art by Cully Hamner
    Batman & the Outsider (2019-) written by Bryan Edward Hill, art by Dexter Soy & Veronica Gandini
    --

Link to the old Duke Thomas thread.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-12-2019 at 08:43 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The first time I saw Duke Thomas was in the flash forward of the flashback issue preview of New 52

bm_21_2.jpg

I don't know why I prefer his younger looks with dreadlocks

I took like this roughed up look, but i kind of prefer the short hair, for the time being. He's still relatively new in the game. Once the Signal will have a few years Under his belt, I'm all for him to have longer hair however, to truly be knightly !

I wonder what Duke and Cass's relationship will be like in Outsiders. They should be able to compliment each others stregths and weaknesses. Will be interesting!

This We Are Robin variant is one of my favorite casual look for Duke. It's so colorful and trendy. Like he's ready to shoot his music video.

We_Are_Robin_Vol_1_1_Variant.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I took like this roughed up look, but i kind of prefer the short hair, for the time being. He's still relatively new in the game. Once the Signal will have a few years Under his belt, I'm all for him to have longer hair however, to truly be knightly !
    Honestly I think it would be kinda cool to have Duke with longer hair or a more mature take in his original locs look. It would make him stand out more design wise from a lot of the other black characters in the DC universe operating right now. John Stewart has short hair, Manta is bald, both Batwings had short hair, Cyborg, Wallace, Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning, etc.; playing with his hair would make his silhouette more dynamic, making him more visually distinct. To me that's why I liked Static as a kid, his locs in his cartoon and in the original comics are what made him iconic to me.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-02-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: I forgot Black Lightning
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Honestly I think it would be kinda cool to have Duke with longer hair or a more mature take in his original locs look. It would make him stand out more design wise from a lot of the other black characters in the DC universe operating right now. John Stewart has short hair, Manta is bald, both Batwings had shirt hair, Cyborg, Wallace, Mr. Terrific, etc., playing with his hair would make his silhouette more dynamic, making him more distinct. To me that's why I liked Static as a kid, his locs in his cartoon and in the original comics are what made him icon to me.
    Oh that's why. ^^

What about his hair in Endgame? I don't know what the hairstyle name except "Norman Osborn"
    It's still short and practical but different compared to other black characters.

084e829cccf140a2c9353f9fb47c5fa2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Honestly I think it would be kinda cool to have Duke with longer hair or a more mature take in his original locs look. It would make him stand out more design wise from a lot of the other black characters in the DC universe operating right now. John Stewart has short hair, Manta is bald, both Batwings had shirt hair, Cyborg, Wallace, Mr. Terrific, etc., playing with his hair would make his silhouette more dynamic, making him more distinct. To me that's why I liked Static as a kid, his locs in his cartoon and in the original comics are what made him icon to me.
    I agree with you there and you're right about Static making that look iconic. I think a more mature take on his original locs look would help Duke stand out more from the other black characters currently in the DCU.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh that's why. ^^

What about his hair in Endgame? I don't know what the hairstyle name except "Norman Osborn"
    It's still short and practical but different compared to other black characters.

084e829cccf140a2c9353f9fb47c5fa2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    I think they're supposed to be cornrows, another design you don't see on black characters often (except on stock bad guys and page filler). I could see that working too but they'd have to get a little creative with it so you don't get that "Norman Osborne" effect. Space 'em out, play with the pattern, make them braids, etc.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-14-2019 at 05:14 AM.

currently following:

Honestly I think it would be kinda cool to have Duke with longer hair or a more mature take in his original locs look. It would make him stand out more design wise from a lot of the other black characters in the DC universe operating right now. John Stewart has short hair, Manta is bald, both Batwings had short hair, Cyborg, Wallace, Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning, etc.; playing with his hair would make his silhouette more dynamic, making him more visually distinct. To me that's why I liked Static as a kid, his locs in his cartoon and in the original comics are what made him iconic to me.
    Yeah, under that light (it's a pun!) I can see how cool it would be to incorporate longer hair in his aesthetic.

But truth been told, I'll start with an ongoing book where he isn't fodder, right about now

DC has a habit of designing a lot of their characters pretty samey out of costume, but it's especially apparent with the black men. I always liked Duke's look/hairstyle as Robin in Futures End.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    DC has a habit of designing a lot of their characters pretty samey out of costume, but it's especially apparent with the black men. I always liked Duke's look/hairstyle as Robin in Futures End.

I... hm. I kinda laughed when I saw it for the first time because he was so big ^^
    I mean I was just reading Damian as Robin before this right, and he's TINY, then the next Robin we saw was the grown-up Duke and he's HUGE XD

Like a really oversized Robin ^^

Is there a collected edition of Future's end, somewhere ? I've never read it because we don't have one here in France and I hate cherry picking one issue here, another there, etc.

Also, let's not forget the Duke Thomas of White Knight here. He's also quite the bad ass and I hope he makes a great return in Murphy's next story in this universe.

Is there a collected edition of Future's end, somewhere ? I've never read it because we don't have one here in France and I hate cherry picking one issue here, another there, etc.

Also, let's not forget the Duke Thomas of White Knight here. He's also quite the bad ass and I hope he makes a great return in Murphy's next story in this universe.
    There is. Three trades for the main story you can check here.

The tie in issues however are collected in each series trades. Batman in Batman, Wonder Woman in Wonder Woman, and so on. Since they're set in the future, the way they're included depend on each series. So Grayson's Future End is in volume 1, but Batman is in volume 7. Like that.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post

What I like about Duke's Robin suit is that it looks like a legit superhero suit but with the Robin logo on it. He doesn't really look like a Robin, he looks like he's his own hero who looks WITH Batman (ala Nightwing) rather that a sidekick or protege.

DC easily could have streamlined this suit, recolored it, and made it his Signal costume. The hair is a natural progression from his hair when he was first introduced, and I think having him let a couple locs loose when in civvies would make his silhouette more distinct; which I could see that happening with this character design.

I didn't read White Knight much but I found the inclusion of Duke a welcomed surprise.

currently following: