Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Batman #85 talk.

Here's the preview:

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/...iew-batman-85/

I'm so glad Tom King's run on the book has come to an end. I hated it.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 12-18-2019 at 03:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh is this the last one?

Hey she finally confronts the in-law

Thank god the run is over. I hate everything about his dialogue and getting through this book was a chore. Amazing how the entire Batfamily were beat by Thomas but here comes Saint Selina to do what was needed. I swear, I like BatCat but King has put such a sour taste in my mouth. ANYWAY, lets hope Tynion can restore some order.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh is this the last one?

Hey she finally confronts the in-law
    Yes, last one before the 12 issue Batman/Catwoman series featuring the Phantasm from B:MOTP.

Incredible Member

So Gotham girl has her full powers with no consequences so now I’m curious if we will ever see anyone ever use her again now that his run is over. Thomas is dead or just got his back broken by bane? Bat and Cat are married. We said goodbye to Alfred (but for honestly how long?). The epilogue shows joker seeing Clark cent is superman and now he will be planning his epic joke on Bruce cause he knows his identity (nit is that really fair to the other 2 jokers... since lord knows when we ar whetting that 3 jokers book)

Well, it's finally over. The issues wasn't great but it was far from the worse.

I'm happy for Gotham Girl, ambivalent to everything else
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-18-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    So Gotham girl has her full powers with no consequences so now I’m curious if we will ever see anyone ever use her again now that his run is over. Thomas is dead or just got his back broken by bane? Bat and Cat are married. We said goodbye to Alfred (but for honestly how long?). The epilogue shows joker seeing Clark cent is superman and now he will be planning his epic joke on Bruce cause he knows his identity (nit is that really fair to the other 2 jokers... since lord knows when we ar whetting that 3 jokers book)
    Wait that's really the spoiler?
    Okay, so how did Gotham Girl lose her weakness?
    Oh is that why Joker's showing up in Nightwing once Tynion's arc begins? Because he now knows? Wait... he always knows. Ever since Endgame... and then he lost his memory, but then it's back and he's locked in the Batcave... unless that part of the memory isn't back because Metal was vague on that....

By spoilers:
    touching a piece of platinum kryptonite.
    end of spoilers
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Oh is that why Joker's showing up in Nightwing once Tynion's arc begins? Because he now knows? Wait... he always knows. Ever since Endgame... and then he lost his memory, but then it's back and he's locked in the Batcave... unless that part of the memory isn't back because Metal was vague on that....
    My gues sis that it's just the Platinium kryptonite or whatever giving her powers similar to her early one. It's not as if she'd appear anywhere else anyway, so it's not really worth consideringn, if you ask me. But she could make a good sacrificial lamb in the next Crisis now.

Platinum Kryptonite? From the Secret Files story? I guess that explains why they included it in the trades.

He knew in The Batman Who Laughs as well.

Also, I know some will be annoyed, but I like how they handled the marriage compromise, since like they said in the issue, they're already vigilantes acting opposite the law, what difference does the legality of kissing in front of a drunk judge do?

Always Rakzo

Seriously, even for King's standards this was a pretty underwhelming ending. "Pain and misery" were a huge part of his run and he hit you in that idea so much that it provoked pain and misery in you as well. Anticlimactic fights, inappropriate resolutions and "Bat, Cat" obviously.

Good art but aside from that, I'm glad this era ended. Then again, we're going to have to endure yet another hit and miss writer.

after finishing this run I can pretty much confirm what i been thinking for the last few months
    this run was 36 issues too long
    It just should had ended with chp 49 and then let someone else handle the wedding aspect or just go down a different route

I do believe I enjoyed this entire run way more than most of the people here but that doesnt mean that I dont see the flaws so I want to touch on a couple of things of the run and not just this issue.

first of all the obvious one, Alfred didnt need to die because of this run, I am fully aware that this was DC editorial and that King didnt intended this to stick at all, it was just suppouse to be an slight of hand but this is what it is and what it is is a complete waste of a story and character.
    I know Alfred will be back because there is no way that DC will get rid of him like this but it is still a shame.

second, Thomas Wayne is a terrible villain
    I relly want to know wat was the main purpose of this, there is no way that this ended exactly how it was originally conceptualized. because I understand the motivation, Thomas sees Bruce being Batman as a failure so he wants him to stop being Batman However everything that he does to archieve this completetly sucks and or makes no sense to the purpose of it.
    for example
    what use is there to have Bane take over the city?
    if the villains were getting mind wiped by Psychopirate why did he needed to still function as Batman with Gotham Girl?
    If the point was to make Bruce no longer be Batman then...
    idk...
    maybe...
    possibly...
    USE PSYCHOPIRATE FOR THAT??!!?!???

finally and this is the biggest flaw of the entire premise of Thomas being the villain with this motivation
    Changing Bruce wouldnt change Damian or Tim or anybody else
    which is why the encounter between Damian and Thomas is so extremely dissappointing

Bane
    I actually liked how King wrote Bane for the most part
    He did felt like a huge mennace that could take over the city and I did loved the final confrontation between them with the "no masks, no venom, no shirts" thing, IT IS A GREAT MOMENT!
    so his end is pretty terrible
    he gets shot in the head
    he survives
    from what it looks like he lost what made him control Gotham and gets revenge on Thomas by breaking his back
    so what is next for the character?
    It really doesnt feel like a conclusion for the character or for what he tried to do.

now I know this is technically not the end of the run as King still has 12-15 more chapters with Batman/Catwoman but this doesnt feel like a good conclusion for King's Batman at all

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Also, I know some will be annoyed, but I like how they handled the marriage compromise, since like they said in the issue, they're already vigilantes acting opposite the law, what difference does the legality of kissing in front of a drunk judge do?
    yep, here is me of the annoyed ones
    this is by far what I hated the most about the issue
    It completely feels like editorial handling the rule of "Batman cant be married" and then King trying to go around that rule in such a way that it doesnt matter

So they are a couple now, and not every couple needs to be married, Its trying to take a more mature approach
    here is the problem
    Bruce proposed
    and Catwoman said yes
    and everything that was stoping it from happening is out of the way
    by not getting married it is pretty much the narrative equivalent of showing a gun getting loaded on act one only to never be fired.
    It is the absolute anticlimax and it is made worst the exchange between Batman and Gotham Girl just taunting "when is the wedding? am I invited? etc"

I do feel sorry for King because he is an extremely talented writer
    for those here who keep complaining about this run week after week go read The Visions and Mr Miracle to understand why he deserved his Eisners's nominations and wins.
    But here I could feel the shadow of the editorial interfering with some points and him not being able land others.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, it's finally over. The issues weren't great but it was far from the worse.
    Not according to the continuous flow of hatred the readers and commentators are projecting or the immense relief of its end.

But for me, I took a liking to this run, don't know why but i did.

Well, I said my piece let the merciless mockery of my apparent lack of taste commence.