Page 1 of 285 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Default Jason Todd: Robin, Red Hood, Arkham Knight Appreciation 2019

"I'm my own man! Me, Jason Todd!"

(Batman #408)

(source)

Jason Peter Todd, born and risen in Lady City of Gotham's crudest part that came to become the second Robin, the Red Hood and the Wingman; the Arkham Knight of a different, grimmer universe; The Damned Prince of Gotham who suffered and died by the hand of the Clown Prince of Crime. But the young man whose sheer will and bad luck couldn't let him rest and who made his way back from the grave.

Vigilante, avenger: he fights for fairness, for setting the wrong right and for defending and protecting those who cannot fend themselves, and he will do so crossing lines into dark areas or delivering a brutal brand of justice. A daring and sassy adventurer who has traveled not only this world and the space, but other universes. A flawed man who fights not only the monsters out but also inside, who fears the ghosts of memories and suffers from them and despite that will fight back with determination. A man who can despise himself as much as he despises others; Who makes mistakes but also rights; Who can love as much as long for being loved, and hate as much as he loves. Who can lose himself in anger as well as in loneliness.

Jason Peter Todd is a complex character, product of a complex editorial history. This is his appreciation thread and this is how we come to appreciate and ramble about him.

(Thanks @Zaresh for writing the above introduction.)

"Even back then, Batman wasn't sure if I was going to be a hero ... or something else."
    (Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth)

Quick two-step introduction to Jason Todd/Red Hood

Step 1: Watch Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Step 2: Read the current Rebirth run of Red Hood and the Outlaws (renamed Red Hood: Outlaw with issue 27), trades:
    • Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol 1 - Dark Trinity
    • Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol 2 - Who is Artemis?
    • Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol 3 - Bizarro Reborn
    • Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol 4 - Good Night Gotham
    • Red Hood: Outlaw Vol 1 - Requiem for an Archer
    • Red Hood: Outlaw Vol 2 - Prince of Gotham
    • Red Hood: Outlaw Vol 3 - Generation Outlaw (release date: 30-Jun-2020)

interviews
    Behind the Red Hood with Paul Levitz, Bob Schreck, Judd Winick, and Doug Mahnke (copy)

Families, Allies and Friends

"Someday I hope you'll come to look upon me as your father, and by then I hope I'll be able to speak to you with more patience and wisdom than I've demonstrated so far."

Bruce Wayne (Detective Comics #533)

Todd family (special moments)

• Willis Todd - Jason's father. Presumed deceased; but actually alive.

"So this is Gotham. Your Home. You're gonna be everything I never was. A damned Prince of Gotham. I'm gonna keep you safe. Be a dad you can look up to."
      Willis Todd (Red Hood and the Outlaws #23 [2016 - ])

• Catherine Todd - Jason's mother, presumed dead.
    • Faye Gunn/Ma Gunn - Willis' mother and Jason's grandmother

"I deserve my fate. I'll be fine. I've grown accustomed to the dark."
      Ma Gunn (Red Hood and the Outlaws #25 [2016 - ])

• Faye Gunn - Jason's cousin

"I'm just trying to understand what she sees in you. She seems to think you're special."
      Faye Gunn to Jason Todd about Ma Gunn (Red Hood and the Outlaws #22 [2016 - ])

batfamily (special moments)

• Bruce Wayne/Batman - Jason's adoptive father, Jason and Bruce have a very complicated relationship with ups and downs

"Why do all the cub scouts in spandex always say that? 'If I cross that line, there's no coming back.' I'm not talking about killing Cobblepot or Clayface. Not Riddler or Dent. I'm talking about him. Just him. And doing it because .... because he took me away from you."
      Jason Todd to Bruce Wayne (Batman #450)

• Alfred Pennyworth - the Wayne-butler and grandfather-figure to all Robins

"Come back to us, you prince of Gotham."
      Alfred Pennyworth (Red Hood and the Outlaws #18 [2011-2015])
    • Batwoman
    • Batgirl

etc.

(Red Hood and the Outlaws #29 [2016 - ])

Allies and Friends

"One day your heart will shine brighter than the dark fury inside you. And that day will be glorious."

Ducra (Red Hood and the Outlaws #5 [2011-2015])

current outlaws

• Artemis of Bana-Mighall/Artemis Grace
    • Bizarro

"Bizarro am not perfect. But Red Him show me how and me promise to be the best Bizarro me can be."
      Bizarro (Red Hood and the Outlaws #7 [2016 - ])
    • Devour
    • Cloud Nine
    • DNA
    • Doomed
    • Babe in Arms
    • Mombie

former outlaws

• Roy Harper/Arsenal

"Remember that voice you heard in your head? 'Don't do it, dummy!' That was me."
      Roy Harper (Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual #2 [2016 - ])

• Koriand'r/Starfire

further allies/friends

• Ducra

"I suppose I should congratulate you. The first human in a thousand years to survive the cleansing. But I still can't tell if it's because you're worthy or just so damned stubborn."
      Ducra (Red Hood and the Outlaws #5 [2011-2015])

• Dog
    • Bunker
    • Wingman
    • Suzie Su + sisters
    • Essence
    • Sa'ru
    • Simon Amal/Crux
    • Bronze Tiger

Lost during reboot

"Fact is, really, the only other sidekick I ever met was the second Robin. Everyone says bad things about him but if you ask me, he was cool."

Eddie Bloomberg (Teen Titans [2003-2011] #42)

• Eddie Bloomberg
    • Harvey Bullock
    • Nocturna
    • Kyle Rayner
    • Donna Troy
    • Scarlet
    • Sheila Haywood

"Jason tried ... to rescue me ... we almost ... made it ... so close ... he turned out ... to be such a ... good kid ... all his problems ... and he ... still ... turned out good ... he's ... much better ... than I deserve ... much better ... he threw ... himself ... in front ... of me ... in front of me ... he took ... the main brunt ... of the blast ... such a ... good boy ... must have ... really ... loved his ... mother ... his ... his ..."
    Sheila Haywood (Batman #428)

Enemies

"Come on, Jason. With dad dead we only have each other. Let's not fight."
    Joker's Daughter (Red Hood/Arsenal #11)

• Joker
    • Black Mask
    • Untitled
    • Ra's Al Ghul
    • Joker's Daughter
    • Penguin
    • Underlife
    • Solitary

Upcoming Appearances
    (outside of Red Hood and the Outlaws)

(Jason Todd/Red Hood by Jason Fabok for Three Jokers story)

• Jason Todd in the Young Justice-cartoon
    • Jason Todd's fate in Batman Beyond
    • Geoff Johns' Three Jokers mini-series
    • Jason Todd in Gordon Murphy's White Knight Vol. 2 or 3 (maybe)
    • Tom Taylor's Unkillables mini-series
    • possible confrontation with Leviathan by Brian Bendis
    • Red Hood TV series (rumor)

Old Thread
    Jason Todd: Robin, Arkham Knight, Red Hood Appreciation 2018 (actually 2014-2018)

Other stuff
    The Jason Todd Reread (pre- and post-crisis)
    Sales Statistics
    Recommended fanfics

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree(s) of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree(s) of this thread. No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.
    Last edited by Sergard; 12-26-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Happy New Year to Jason Todd and all his fans .

Cheers Frontier! Happy New Year

Also if I may please make a request Sergard, could I vote in favor of having 'Arkham Knight' in the title as well?
    Like maybe in between 'Red Hood' and 'Damned Prince'?

It's still a very popular identity that Jason held and certainly gained the character much more notoriety.

All-New Member

Happy New Year

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

New year, new thread.

Yay new thread!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post

Also if I may please make a request Sergard, could I vote in favor of having 'Arkham Knight' in the title as well?

It's still a very popular identity that Jason held and certainly gained the character much more notoriety.
    Yep I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    ++++++First post still under construction+++++++++
    Feel free to suggest content/information/rules that should be added to the first post of this thread.
    As for rules I think we can use what other appreciation threads have been using and work from there.

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree(s) of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree(s) of this thread. No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

@Sergard, I love that pic. Great choice. As they say in my place "ˇYes mundial, oh!" (something like: You're worldwide worthy, man)

++++++First post still under construction+++++++++
    Feel free to suggest content/information/rules that should be added to the first post of this thread.
    Given that he's a prince, we can start by listing all his titles and honours. old fashion style (aliases, nicknames, etc). Also, a brief-but-passionate profile of Jason story and personality. We can discuss this for the shake of some discussions.
    A list of recommended readings would be nice, as it would be a short informal summary. Maybe a bit more extended for where we are now.
    A list of family, allies, friends and enemies would be nice, too.
    And a list with links to fanfics and fanartists we would recommend, given that's something we usually share here. That way newcomers won't miss old stuff.
    And like it happens with the best of the best, a few quotations about Jason for the foot of the post. In bold red.

Then we copy all that text into a pastebin and save it for next year (that will have a few modifications, I'm sure about that)

What do you think?

Oh! Happy new year! (again!)

Edit: seconding @G-Pots with the rules addition.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-01-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Happy New Year, New Thread!

I agree. Arkham Knight should be part of the alias.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I think I'll have to ask a moderator to change the title.
    There is a character limitation for the thread title. Originally, I wanted to add Arkham Knight but the whole title would have been 5 characters too long.
    We could shorten "Damned Prince of Gotham" to "Prince of Gotham" or "Damned Prince" if that's acceptable.

@Zaresh: That are some great ideas. I hope we all can put our heads together and work on that suggestions.

Incredible Member

You also have the fact that another character is about to be introduced as the Arkham Knight. It might cause some confusion?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Could always add the Arkham Knight identity somewhere to to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    You also have the fact that another character is about to be introduced as the Arkham Knight. It might cause some confusion?
    Nah not really, it's still Jasons original identity and popularized by him, plus there's plenty of characters that have Robin in the title and that's certainly not causing confusion.

I think I'll have to ask a moderator to change the title.
    There is a character limitation for the thread title. Originally, I wanted to add Arkham Knight but the whole title would have been 5 characters too long.
    We could shorten "Damned Prince of Gotham" to "Prince of Gotham" or "Damned Prince" if that's acceptable.
    I'm fine with 'Prince of Gotham' I guess if it means all the titles can fit.

What does everyone else think?