Page 10 of 285 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Then maybe you'll like "Castle in the Air" by rredhoods. Here, Jason becomes a blue lantern. The fanfic has three chapters at the moment and so far not a lot has happened. But I'm hopeful that future chapters will be more interesting. Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz are also part of the story. It has a Jason/Kyle pairing but the story is T-rated. So there won't be any explicit stuff.
    Oh cool! I'll check this one out. Jason as a blue lantern sounds just as interesting as violet to me. Also, great that Simon, Jess, and Kyle will be in it.
    Huh, a Jason/Kyle pairing? Okay, sure. Wasn't expecting that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Thanks, and you're welcome . Glad to be of some help, and I love sharing stuff I like, to be honest. It's like a bit of an addiction. You can see how often I ramble and ramble about off topic books or shows or whatever because I love to make other people know about them (and hopeful, love them as much ;D).
    About the shippings, I am not a romance reader (unfortunately, because my mother had a ton of those books at some point, years ago), but I like any kind of relationship when is written in a believable or interesting way. I like character development and good dynamics in the stories I invest my time in (if they are not pure crack or have other qualities that get me interested in them, like a good mystery behind).
    I'd say it's a good addiction to have. ;D I'm the same way!
    Bolded for truth on shippings/relationships!

Jason meeting The Spectre would be so cool. That's another DC character that's been recommended to me and I've looked into, so I'd like that very much.

Funny and gorgeous at the same time.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Did they ever elaborate on what exactly Superman meant that Batman vouched for the Outlaws?

SEP120187_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

They just came back from outer space, so before that the only time Jason would meet Batman was after Night of The Owls, during the War of The Robins, where Damian challenged everyone and then worked together with everyone to safe the city from a band of old villains looking for revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Did they ever elaborate on what exactly Superman meant that Batman vouched for the Outlaws?

SEP120187_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

They just came back from outer space, so before that the only time Jason would meet Batman was after Night of The Owls, during the War of The Robins, where Damian challenged everyone and then worked together with everyone to safe the city from a band of old villains looking for revenge.
    He also helped Bruce during the events of Batman Incorporated.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by kaimaciel View Post
    I'm jealous. I wish I were funny. I wish I could render colour that way
    -----
    I'm afraid I cannot post a new collecting recs post today. I've been out from home until now and am quite tired, sorry.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-07-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I'm jealous. I wish I were funny. I wish I could render colour that way
    -----
    I'm afraid I cannot post a new collecting recs post today. I've been out from home until now and am quite tired, sorry.
    Get some rest, Zaresh. You deserve it!

Quote Originally Posted by kaimaciel View Post
    Get some rest, Zaresh. You deserve it!
    I love you guys. But you already know
    I'm planning on drawing our little roleplaying party of Red Hoods (previous thread) this week or the next one. So... There will be some delayed "Día de Reyes" (Epiphany's Day) presents from me to you, too.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-07-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    Oh cool! I'll check this one out. Jason as a blue lantern sounds just as interesting as violet to me. Also, great that Simon, Jess, and Kyle will be in it.
    Huh, a Jason/Kyle pairing? Okay, sure. Wasn't expecting that, though.
    No one is ever expecting Jason/Kyle. My first reaction, when I encountered that pairing in a fanfic for the first time, was "Why?". It's crack and the fan-base is small - but most fanfics about the pairing are surprisingly nice and more on the T-rated side instead of E or M. If I have to make a guess, the fascination for that pairing started with "Countdown" in which Kyle and Jason are on the same team and fight like cat and dog from the get-go. (And two male characters with a tense/conflicted relationship look in general very attractive to slash-writers.) Here's a page from Countdown #33:

But if you don't mind the pairing, here's another fanfic in which Jason joins different lantern corps (short stories).
    i deserve that, don't i, some sort of blazing love that i can live with by evanescent

Some fans of the pairing even make jokes about Jason's quote "I've got no problem with Kyle. He's great. He's dreamy." because out of context it could (obviously) be interpreted differently.

Although my personal favorite "out of context"-quote - with corresponding panel - is from Batman #368. (That's pre-crisis Jason)

Last edited by Sergard; 01-08-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Man, Soy really likes Rebirth Outlaws. So do I. And seeing things like this just makes me want Artemis and Bizz back all the more.

I honestly think the JayKyle shipping is especially hilarious when you realize that Kyle is even older than Dick. IIRC, he always has been between the Dick and Bruce generation, even if he is a 90's character. There are not many characters in that range of age, so I guess you have to pair him with someone outside big teams like the Justice League and the Green Lanterns. But even with that in mind, I too think they make fore some interesting dynamic (and it's true that Kyle is dreamy, not so much great: you can bet he will screw up badly something, at some point. He will get very mad too. And even if he's not dumb, he is incredible, unbelievable naive at times—and at other, very distrustful). Lots of potential for good stories there.

⇜♦⌾⭕⌾♦⇝

So, on the topic of Lanterns and Jason, here it is the post for the "In which Jason is another kind of hero" category. This category includes Jason as a non caped hero (like a cop, for example) or Jason taking on other mantle (like a Lantern, or being some other character's sidekick). So far, we have the following recommendations:

Recommended by @Sergard:

With Violet Light, by @Evilpixie. Alternative version of B:UtH in which Jason becomes a Star Sapphire.
    —Zaresh here: Teen audiences (lots of foul language), no shipping at all. It's drama and action and angst, but also a story about Jason making peace with what has happened to him and reconnecting with his family. Turns out I hadn't read that fic: now I have. Very good.

Castle in the Air, by @rredhoods. Here, Jason becomes a blue lantern. The fanfic has three chapters at the moment and so far not a lot has happened. But I'm hopeful that future chapters will be more interesting. Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz are also part of the story. It has a Jason/Kyle pairing but the story is T-rated. So there won't be any explicit stuff.

I deserve that, don't i, some sort of blazing love that i can live with, by @evanescent. If you don't mind the pairing (Jason/Kyle), here's another fanfic in which Jason joins different lantern corps (short stories).
    —Zaresh here: I remember reading this fic. It's heavy in the romance, but aimed for teens and SFW.

Sometimes Goodbye's the Only Way, by @KatastrophicTodd. A fic in which Jason works for Amanda Waller. Drama, general audiences, no ships.

@Zaresh (that's me) recommendations from this point on:

Well, When You Go, by @dnawhite76 and @Prubbs. This is fitting this category by a hair, but I want to put it here. After Bruce dies, the cowl goes to Jason, to surprise of most people (but Tim). It's heavy in drama, has a little bit of JayTim, and has violence and character's death. Jason making himself a good Batman, and learning to forgive and value himself is moving. It also has supernatural elements as plot points. I honestly liked this work a lot.

Left Behind But Not For Long, by @meyari. Again, it barely fits this category, but what can I do. Jason becomes a multiverse adventurer (leaving behind his Red Hood persona in the end). Mature readers, with some explicit content. It's a rather old series, but it was the first in which I saw an attempt to explain Morrison's redhead Jason. Black haired Jason gets replaced by another universe Jason, who is a psychotic psychopath, before Countdown finishes and Jason ends stuck in another universe. It's, besides a JayTim romance story, a cool sci fi story with Jason as some sort of Odysseus traveling across a wide multiverse, trying and struggling to come home, and meeting different versions of himself and Tim. It's sweet and sad, and even if it's a little self-satisfying and Jason is a bit of a Mary Sue at times, I definitely would recommend it.

Gotham Banksy, by @LananiA3O. I already recommended it, but then, it fits the theme, soo... Jason becomes a graffiti artist, or more like graffiti madman and delinquent, instead of the Red Hood. A mystery story with a very dark and gritty tone. Drama and mystery, no shipping, teen readers.

Hard Season is an ongoing series by @bewaretheboojum. Jason is a police detective working in Gotham. He meets Red Robin, and stuff happens. It has JayTim romance, yeah, and has explicit content. But the second part is a pretty decent mystery story and I suspect the following works (it there are more) will fall under that category.

Updated 01/26/2019
    Quarter past midnight, by @Aaren. This work is mostly about how Jason rediscovers his family; but because this Jason is an amnesiac teen that made himself a nurse, and that's an important plot point in this story, I'm going to add this fic here as well. Teen readers, general relationships. Very enjoyable.

⇜♦⌾⭕⌾♦⇝

I have more fics with Jason being something else, but apparently I didn't bookmark them and cannot remember enough information for finding them without investing hours in my inquiry. More recommendations are welcome.

Next list will probably be the "Jason moves on with his life". I was thinking about putting all the time travel and age-deage fics in the same post, too. Also, related to that one: I totally forgot to add @Lysical to the writers list and am going to edit that post to add them.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-26-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

So he's Babs age?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    So he's Babs age?
    In old cont, to my knowledge and understanding, he was around the 28-30yo mark (while Dick was around 27, iirc).

Edit: adding now Aahz's rec writer to the authors list as well. A category for "not capes" fics (or almost not capes, or Bruce being a dad and Jason a son) will definitely come. I need to find a proper name for that one.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-08-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

@fanfic recomandations

Some I think were fun, and were not mentioned sofar:

Silver Spider had a few good ones (basically an AU were Talia acts more like her classic version)

No Bats In The Belfry (a no capes AU) and Little Wing and Big Bird (a Dick and Jason team up during his time as Robin) by Airawyn are

Not really a Jason story but Glimare's "Daddy not Bats" (an AU were Bruce retires as Batman to raise his Kids) is also really cute