Page 3 of 285 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Maybe
    It's kinda funny how every time Soy draws a dark haired young man, every Red Hood fan comes outta the woodwork like, 'Is that Jason???'
    Though to be fair, Soy draws him often enough that there's always a good 50/50 chance it is.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The first Jason Todd story I actually read was his New 52 debut.

JUL110217_3._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I heard about the controversy, of course, I just didn't care much about it. In fact, at the time I was surprised because what I knew about American comic was that they are supposed to be sexy, and Starfire was created to be sexy. So I was suprised that people were angry about it.

Except for her nipple paste costume. That was stupid.

Since I was a new reader, I didn't care much about the supposed inaccuracy of characterization or continuity either. I just bought it for Kenneth Rocafort's pretty art and to actually get into a Jason Todd story.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Maybe
    It's kinda funny how every time Soy draws a dark haired young man, every Red Hood fan comes outta the woodwork like, 'Is that Jason???'
    Though to be fair, Soy draws him often enough that there's always a good 50/50 chance it is.
    That reminds me of his latest Batman art. Even I was skeptical about it being Bruce. :/
    Last edited by G-Potion; 01-02-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    That reminds me of his recent Batman art. Even I was skeptical about it being Bruce. :/
    To be fair, we've seen his Bruce Wayne without the cowl before, and both the face and hair in that image don't look like his previous depiction of Bruce at all, it really does look more like Jason.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

I heard about the controversy, of course, I just didn't care much about it. In fact, at the time I was surprised because what I knew about American comic was that they are supposed to be sexy, and Starfire was created to be sexy. So I was suprised that people were angry about it.

Since I was a new reader, I didn't care much about the supposed inaccuracy of characterization or continuity either. I just bought it for Kenneth Rocafort's pretty art and to actually get into a Jason Todd story.
    Same here. Except for the Kenneth Rocafort's pretty art part since I had no idea who any of the names on the books were.

Back in my uni classes, me and my friends were really some of the few people who were into comics at the time, but I came across a surprising amount of classmates who although claimed they had never read comics before or been into them whatsoever, had attempted to read when the new52 came out and told me that the only comic they really liked was Rhato. (some liked Batman too but rhato was the one consistent book among all those I asked)

I always thought it may have been because new52 rhato was one of the few dc comics that surprisingly avoided being tonally shifted into dark and edgy territories like the other comics did at the time. Especially early rhato, based on what I could gather, if you had no prior concept of these characters, I was told it just felt like a cool and fun lil road trip kinda book.

Same. I didn't feel offended about Starfire's outfit and character at all, and that was before I even knew Starfire was supposed to not conform to human's beliefs of sexual conduct and whatnot. I found the series to be charming and character driven. Being new to comics at the time and unfamiliar with Jason's character, reading analyses from the Jason experts on tumblr was a mistake because of extreme hostility that almost made me feel guilty for liking RHATO.

I didn't know him either. I just recognize the art because he drew Superman Doomsday War right before New 52, which I think is beautiful looking. That book was the first time I found out about his name.

Anyway, despite New 52 being my first actual reading, I've heard about Jason Todd in the interim between Hush and New 52. Among them was Morrison's Batman and Robin, Battle for The Cowl, and of course, Under The Red Hood.

This creates an image I have for Jason before reading it, that is an angry and violent young man who thinks killing villains is the better solution compared to Batman's code, which I like because it's such a tragic and ironic result that a Batman believer became that way because of his trauma.

Red Hood and The Outlaws... wasn't what I expected. I know the story is about redemption, so I expected a calmer, wiser, less angry or violent Jason... what I didn't expect was all the aliens... because the image I have in mind was a street level vigilante with his own sense of justice... not... a... comedic superhero group fighting aliens and mystics.

OCT110199_2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

In hindsight, Starfire's presence should've been a sign that this would be more like Titans than Red Hood.

Back in my uni classes, me and my friends were really some of the few people who were into comics at the time, but I came across a surprising amount of classmates who although claimed they had never read comics before or been into them whatsoever, had attempted to read when the new52 came out and told me that the only comic they really liked was Rhato. (some liked Batman too but rhato was the one consistent book among all those I asked)

I always thought it may have been because new52 rhato was one of the few dc comics that surprisingly avoided being tonally shifted into dark and edgy territories like the other comics did at the time. Especially early rhato, based on what I could gather, if you had no prior concept of these characters, I was told it just felt like a cool and fun lil road trip kinda book.
    Basically me. I tried a bunch of books, in the end I managed to keep up with RHATO and Batman. Although I was feeling fatigue with the latter at the end.

Dexter Soy

IT IS JASON!

Dexter Soy

IT IS JASON!
    Aha! But I thought he was crying in the earlier draft? A bit disappointed.

Dexter Soy

IT IS JASON!
    I knew it! Yay!

In the first draft, he seemed to be crying.

This issue begins with a cold open of Jason killing his way through a submarine full of smuggler before blowing it up. That scene is what I imagine a Red Hood book would be, based on what I heard about Jason.

DEC110232_2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Eventually, after comparing the two, I realize that Jason screwing over criminal with his own method is what I want to read, so I dropped Outlaws. It didn't have the tone I was looking for. That said I did enjoy the Jason Todd moments depicted in this series.

This issue begins with a cold open of Jason killing his way through a submarine full of smuggler before blowing it up. That scene is what I imagine a Red Hood book would be, based on what I heard about Jason.

Eventually, after comparing the two, I realize that Jason screwing over criminal with his own method is what I want to read, so I dropped Outlaws. It didn't have the tone I was looking for. That said I did enjoy the Jason Todd moments depicted in this series.
    That's why I wanted a solo book for Jason so much. As much as I love the dynamics between the Outlaws of both series, it's hard to have Jason stay in his element and do what he does best when the team has some serious powerhouses. Even Roy was often much more effective than Jason with his inventions.

This current direction on the other hand is constantly showing us a capable Jason. But, some critics are already missing the team interactions and heartfelt moments. I'm fine with it. I think those moments will come very soon, and if not, well you gain some you lose some. In the end each series will contribute to the bigger picture that is Jason's character exploration and development. I have to give it to Lobdell though. He's been on the books for years and still manages to make it fresh with ideas.

Oh wow. That is an amazing description.
    Thanks! So... if @Serg wants to add it, I will feel very proud of it being added to the initial post. Next step would be the recommended reads list.

That first pic where the logo made a ^^ emoji... Have people started drawing Jason's new logo making different expressions yet? Besides that one, I mean.
    Hilarious. I want this to be a thing. We need new memes.

Same. I didn't feel offended about Starfire's outfit and character at all, and that was before I even knew Starfire was supposed to not conform to human's beliefs of sexual conduct and whatnot. I found the series to be charming and character driven. Being new to comics at the time and unfamiliar with Jason's character, reading analyses from the Jason experts on tumblr was a mistake because of extreme hostility that almost made me feel guilty for liking RHATO.
    I didn't know him either. I just recognize the art because he drew Superman Doomsday War right before New 52, which I think is beautiful looking. That book was the first time I found out about his name.

Anyway, despite New 52 being my first actual reading, I've heard about Jason Todd in the interim between Hush and New 52. Among them was Morrison's Batman and Robin, Battle for The Cowl, and of course, Under The Red Hood.

This creates an image I have for Jason before reading it, that is an angry and violent young man who thinks killing villains is the better solution compared to Batman's code, which I like because it's such a tragic and ironic result that a Batman believer became that way because of his trauma.

Red Hood and The Outlaws... wasn't what I expected. I know the story is about redemption, so I expected a calmer, wiser, less angry or violent Jason... what I didn't expect was all the aliens... because the image I have in mind was a street level vigilante with his own sense of justice... not... a... comedic superhero group fighting aliens and mystics.

OCT110199_2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

In hindsight, Starfire's presence should've been a sign that this would be more like Titans than Red Hood.
    Heh. My first time with Jason as a character was the animated movie of Under The Hood (I cannot remember how I got to that movie, actually. I hadn't watch anything Batman animated since Beyond)—Well, technically, I read The Cult long time ago, but to be honest, I didn't remember much at that point and didn't knew it was Jason. I did knew Jason existed, or rather, was aware that there has been more than one Robin. DC Comics here in my country weren't a thing you can find easily by that time, except in LCSs (which aren't common), bookstores (that only had mainstream comics by then) or Libraries (which to this day only collect hardcover books because preservation issues, and that limits the range of comics in their collections (well, for a while Vertigo was easy to find in kiosks and bookstores: as easy as it was finding paperbacks and issues from Marvel). I did read a lot of Vertigo books). That's how I read The Cult: in a hardcover edition from my local Library). After watching the movie, I went looking for the original comic, and read chronologically afterwards (following a guide). By that time, we were still in New 52, and I had started to read comics from the main DCU thanks to internet and a new publisher that gained the rights for them. I have had already read Grayson (which was the first DC thing I had read in years, after Hellblazer and Transmetropolitan) and thanks to other media, was slightly aware of who was Kori (I didn't know Roy). Because I really come from the Fantasy fandom and I didn't know her that much, it didn't bothered me more than, say, Diana's costume. Armour for females just tends to be ridiculous and impractical in fiction (which is a pity, because proper armours are cool and can be very sexy too. Just, you know, bulky). Also, there is nothing wrong with looking sexy. The problem is if you are only that: a sexy object. She developed into a warrior princess with a conflict and a personality, and that's more than what we had for a lot of female characters until the 00's. So I can deal with a messy start if it grows into something I will not dislike.

To be honest, I was more annoyed by how wordy the text was, and how much it repeated some statements. But that was for, like, five issues. And I'm all for putting the characters I like under different settings and living through different kind of stories. I love pulp, and you can guess how much I liked the evil ancient monks and space opera shift from the street level approach (which to be honest, after what they tried with Countdown, wasn't all that out of the blue).
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-02-2019 at 11:09 AM.