Page 8 of 285 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Ok, let's go with a round of urban fantasy fics for @Lirica. Also ghost stories, because I think you may appreciate those as well. Maybe you had already read them, I don't know.

As I already mentioned, @GavotteAndGigue has written horror stories. The Dreamscape series is an enjoyable work, but not for everyone. It depicts heavy violence and the JayDick M/M ship, and it is a heavy plot point especially in the first story. It also depicts a disturbing other relationship. It's both supernatural and cosmic horror based on the Vertigo set of DC mythos (The Sandman, a bit of Hellblazer too), but even more Lovecraft-like. It's very pulpy, dark and gritty. Has constant allusions to noncon. Last part has Constantine on it. And a goat.

This writer has another work that I mentioned too, and that has finished just yesterday. It's supernatural and psychological horror, much like what you could find in a Silent Hill videogame. Phantasmagoria is better than the series I mentioned, not only because it's better written, but because it really crept the hell out of me half the time. It also depicts JayDick, but, eh, it's just barely there. Sick and hurt Jason gets stuck in a haunted building. A lot of confusing stuff happens. There are ghosts, demons and fire. They could have dubbed this work Red Hood: Silent Hill the Room. Mature content, because brutal violence basically.

Next work may not be a masterpiece, but heck if it didn't give me a lot of "feels" and put my heart in warmth. Tittle is: Call Me Dawnslight, by @InaudibleTacit. Technically, it doesn't play with different rules than the ones in the main DCU, but it plays them in a way that makes for an actual urban fantasy story. It's Bruce bonding and struggling with Jason, with dead Robin Jason. It's drama, and also healing, and a bit of mystery along the way. Really loved it.

One of the Batfics by @InsaneTrollLogic is a Ghost Story. Psychological horror with some supernatural elements. Very creepy, more because of the psychological stuff than of the supernatural.

Cycle of Life, by @chibi_nightowl isn't, strictly speaking, neither a ghost story nor urban fantasy; but I suspect you will like it if you don't mind the JayTim shipping. It's more like magic realism, to be honest: you could call it a "metafiction" work. And it's soft drama and almost a soliloquy by Jason.

I guess I can put The Many Deaths of Jason Todd by @Zoeleo in the "urban fantasy" category, but it's more like a mystery story with strong supernatural elements (I don't know if you can see the difference I'm trying to make). Mature content (violence, language and sexual content), M/M relationship. It's the first part of an unfinished series. The continuation is still ongoing, with a very slow pace; and so far it's mostly familial melodrama and fluff and shameless JayTim shipping that I think still needs a full plot to follow. I liked the first part a lot more.

@chibi_nightowl and @GoAwayOlivia are writing an urban fantasy series that I honestly don't know where it will go: Moon, Snow, and Ice. As you can guess, heavy JayTim shipping (there is also a past JayRoy implied, if I recall correctly). It's not main DCU Tim, at least: just a character that sounds like usual-chibi_nighthowl!Tim and shares his name (it's a fae). The rest of the characters though, are main DCU characters in their main DCU roles (or at least I think they are). Also, well, mature target for sexual content. The first part (which was a stand alone story at the time) was nice, and I honestly liked it enough for wishing for a continuation. I got lucky and now two writers I like have joined efforts. I trust them to finish this work, however long it will take: that's why I'm linking it despite how little they had released yet.

Eternal Soliloquy by @renecdote. Jason doesn't get brought back to life and is a ghost at his grave. Drama, general audience.

Jason, Meet John Constantine by @mizmahlia. Jason sees ghosts/other non-living creatures after coming back to life.

What was Left Behind by @Team_Alpha_Wolf_Squadron. While the pov is Damian in the first chapter, it's about him meeting young ghost!Jason. Teen audience. This work also has a small mystery story going on. And for those who have no qualms about violence and heavy sexual content of very dubious nature (if not straight noncon), this writer has a series that is both horror and urban fantasy. It's not as good as this short story, but in any case, the title of the series is He loves me.

Hell Connection, by @Ladelle. Jay/Tim ship, and it's targeted Teen, but as far as I recall, it's more like Mature targeted, really. It's not great, but if you like stories with demons and possessions and magic rituals and curses, this fic is quite enjoyable. Lots of melodrama and angst, but that's inherent to any grimdark story about demons.

Six Senses (And None of Them Common), by @Hinn_Raven. General audiences, no ships. This is a one shot, and a bit short; but it's a fun story with ghosts and I think you may like it.

Worth Living For, by @Myoneloveismusic. Teen audience, JayTim ship. This is also a one-shot, but a lot longer. Jason is brought back to live as some sort of guardian entity who is assigned to be the protector of a non-caped Tim from some dangerous monsters. I'll be honest: it's a bit bittersweet, but I enjoyed it. It's a fine story.

Tales from the House of Mau, by @clarityhiding. This is an urban fantasy, no capes series in which Jason inherits a comics and hobbies store (and an apartment) and ends being involved with the magic folk. None of the characters are with their original IDs and aliases; but those things sort of play into the story. It's male on male ship (JayTim. Female on female too, because IvyHarley), and even if it's tagged as teen, it's more like mature readers aimed, to be honest (by the commentary on sex themes). What can I say: it's fun, pretty chill and fluff in mood, and there are dragons and stuff. And tabletop roleplaying. Think "Fantastic Beasts" meets "Maison Ikkoku".

░▒▓▒░░▒▓▒░░▒▓▒░░▒▓▒░

There are way more stories with either ghosts or magic and supernatural elements in an urban setting in AO3. But either I haven't read them, or I disliked them, or the levels of shipping and sexual content are off charts, or the almost only trait the characters share with their DC counterparts is their name (making the whole fic almost not a fic, really). Or a combination of some of these reasons. I suspect there are even more in FFN, but it's a site I don't visit often and I usually struggle with the search engine there.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-17-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: updated 04/17/2019

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Jason Fabok has posted a sneak peek for the Three Jokers story. Just Batman but still interesting. I'm really looking forward to see his Red Hood in action.

"Here's a sneak peek at a tiny part of a small panel from extra long first issue of Batman: Three Jokers. I like how savage Batman turned out here. Happy New Year!"

Last edited by Sergard; 01-15-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    From Now On, Autumn of Life & Jason Todd: Not So Outlaw (I think... might be wrong on that one) are ones I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I am pretty picky with regard to fanfiction but here are a few of my favorite writer and stories:

ofVellichor "Autumn of Life" is another story that I really enjoy and yet another one that finds Jason moving on with his life.

With your recs I think I'll continue with this. The first few chapters that I read feel too partial towards Jason, sometimes it bothers on Sue-ness. But I can't deny that I love the idea of Jason moving on and forming his own little group. I also like the sheer size of this story and the recent chapters which deal with Batfam interrelationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    This writer has another work that I mentioned too, and that has finished just yesterday. It's supernatural and psychological horror, much like what you could find in a Silent Hill videogame. Phantasmagoria is better than the series I mentioned, not only because it's better written, but because it really crept the hell out of me half the time. It also depicts JayDick, but, eh, it's just barely there. Sick and hurt Jason gets stuck in a haunted building. A lot of confusing stuff happens. There are ghosts, demons and fire. They could have dubbed this work Red Hood: Silent Hill the Room. Mature content, because brutal violence basically.
    Sweet. I was waiting for Phantasmagoria to finish. This one reads best as a whole since you don't get to lose the creepy feeling in between chapters.

Jason Todd- Collector of Strays. Begins with Jay coming across an abandoned dog and taking it in, all the while getting involved with a growing mystery that involves both Gotham and Star City.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Potion View Post
    With your recs I think I'll continue with this. The first few chapters that I read feel too partial towards Jason, sometimes it bothers on Sue-ness. But I can't deny that I love the idea of Jason moving on and forming his own little group. I also like the sheer size of this story and the recent chapters which deal with Batfam interrelationship.
    "From Now On" has some issues, one is precisely how Mary Sue-like are the main characters (Jason and the Original female character whose name I cannot recall now but I did know until like 30 minutes ago). It's not a bad fanfic, I've read it almost up to date; but it does have issues. Another one is how clumsy and repetitive the dialogue is; after the narrator and the whole situation makes it clear certain point, the characters will repeat and explain again (in no few words) the whole matter. It feels like reading a dialogue between Mr. and Mrs. Exposition, and it isn't an issue that gets better across the fic. But, as I said, I've been reading it until a few chapters ago. It's pretty enjoyable (despite me disliking musicals and the fic being in love with that genre). There is a case going on with it between all the melodrama and romance that is the story, and that's something that is always going to drive me in. The chapters with the fighting in Crime Alley where very good. I just hope the plot outside the romance takes off soon, because if not, I'll probably drop it. I can say the same (about dropping) with other fic I'm following (the one @Jackalope89 has just mentioned), but the funny thing is, there, I'm hoping for the romance to actually start to make some presence in the story (because I like the dynamic with the original character there).

I haven't read "Autumn of Life". I'm always about to click in it and add it to my list, but it's so long it scares me a bit. Is it good? What would I expect? (strengths and weak points)

Edit:

Sweet. I was waiting for Phantasmagoria to finish. This one reads best as a whole since you don't get to lose the creepy feeling in between chapters.
    Absolutely right. I wish I had waited.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-05-2019 at 06:38 PM.

@Zaresh: My comment was about Autumn of Life which I only read a bit, and I feel there's some Sue-ness in there. Not much in the recent chapters that I skimmed through though. But I'll wait for Arsenal and JasonTodd428 to confirm/deny and explain the plot in detail. I haven't read From Now On.

Has anyone mentioned ScaryScarecrows? Their Cigarette Smoke and Snark is a collection of one-shots and multi-shots about AK Jason. Funny. Featuring his Militia who are ridiculously cute.

@Zaresh: My comment was about Autumn of Life which I only read a bit, and I feel there's some Sue-ness in there. Not much in the recent chapters that I skimmed through though. But I'll wait for Arsenal and JasonTodd428 to confirm/deny and explain the plot in detail. I haven't read From Now On.
    Oh, I see. I'll wait too, then.

Has anyone mentioned ScaryScarecrows? Their Cigarette Smoke and Snark is a collection of one-shots and multi-shots about AK Jason. Funny. Featuring his Militia who are ridiculously cute.
    Noted. I'll give them a try too :3.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

@G and Zaresh: I don't find things to be particularly Sue-ish in either story myself particularly as the stories progress. Then again I sometimes feel that the term "MarySue" is used over much when discussing fanfiction and in particular OCs within those stories. In my mind something is in Sue-ish territory when absolutely everything about the characters, situations and so forth are 100% perfect, without flaws. Typically things are resolved within the plots of such stories with some sort of hand-wavy nonsense that doesn't fit with the surrounding story progression or otherwise fails to make logical sense with that progression. YMMV on that of course but over the years I've heard that term so often that its beginning to lose its meaning in my opinion.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

JJMK's birthday. They're such a prominent Jason fanartist that it almost feels like Jason's birthday as well.

https://fade-works.tumblr.com/post/1...my-friend-jjmk

@G and Zaresh: I don't find things to be particularly Sue-ish in either story myself particularly as the stories progress. Then again I sometimes feel that the term "MarySue" is used over much when discussing fanfiction and in particular OCs within those stories. In my mind something is in Sue-ish territory when absolutely everything about the characters, situations and so forth are 100% perfect, without flaws. Typically things are resolved within the plots of such stories with some sort of hand-wavy nonsense that doesn't fit with the surrounding story progression or otherwise fails to make logical sense with that progression. YMMV on that of course but over the years I've heard that term so often that its beginning to lose its meaning in my opinion.
    I get where you're from, and yeah, I wouldn't say Jason in Autumn of Life is Sue-ish according to your definition either. What I feel is that the story often presents a situation that makes Jason look too good that Bruce and even the Justice League either feel bad or feel awed in return. It's a little bit one-sided because Jason has moved on and isn't (or doesn't appear) bothered about his past with Bruce (which is good, I approve), but also because we have a lot of outsider POV looking at Jason and not a lot of the reverse. As someone who reads for Jason, I kinda feel bad for the other characters. But again, I didn't read the story in its entirety to really justify my criticism and as you also said, as the story progresses, it becomes a non issue. That's why I want to give it another chance.
    Last edited by G-Potion; 01-05-2019 at 10:09 PM.

For me, a Mary Sue is a character that most or all of the time is shown under a light that makes them in the right. They can fail, and they can mess and they can be weak, but they will be in the right and all will be forgiven. In a conflictive situation, they will be in the right, and their inner struggles will wind either in the better outcome for then or picture them in a sympathetic position. That's a Mary Sue for me. It's more than being perfect or powerful or not having flaws. And Jason and Nicole are that in From Now On. But I get that's probably not the most accurate description of a Mary Sue. In any case, Jason does have mary sue qualities in that fic, what with being this almost saint that sings and dance and always gets conflict resolved successfully, and helps people everywhere without fail. It lacks a key element of the character in the comics: he screws a lot, and he fails and pays with consequences a lot. He can err and be wrong. Which makes him very relatable.

Still, as I said, that work is very enjoyable \o/.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-05-2019 at 11:10 PM. Reason: grammar, phrasing, typos, etc

JJMK's birthday. They're such a prominent Jason fanartist that it almost feels like Jason's birthday as well.

https://fade-works.tumblr.com/post/1...my-friend-jjmk

This is cool. The coolmeter is breaking the record, ladies and gents.