Page 19 of 285 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Here comes a new fanfic list about the tropes Time Travel and Aging / De-aging, as promised.

The View From Jade, by @lowflyingfruit. Jason ends transported to the past, to the first days of Bruce as Batman, when he still doesn't have a Robin, and, call him overprotective, but he decides that he won't let happen the chance of Dick becoming a child crimefighter. Teen audience, no ships, but brotherly love. Well, unless the final chapters change that. It feels like the story is about to end, but the chapter count doesn't mark a definite number of chapters. I like this fick a lot.

Show me Yesterday, for I can’t Find Today, by @redtruthed. Jason gets hit by something and gets transported to the past, just before he is about to find his death, while the young Jason of that times is transported to the future at the same time. A lot of drama and family bonding. Teen readers, no shippy, and foul language.

Death Sucks (and then you Live), by @CaptainOzone. A witch casts an spell upon Robin Jason and he is briefly transported to the future where he meets himself as the Red Hood. He gets shocked by what he sees, but before he gets back to his time, future Jason gives him a piece of advise. And then, things start to happen. It says Mature target, but I think it's pretty safe for teen readers. No ship, just drama and comfort and feels. This fic was very sweet, I liked it.

Nature and Nurture, by @lurkinglurkerwholurks. A spell hits Bruce, who gets de-aged to be a six years older again. His family then has to take care of him in different ages of his life with him not remembering anything from that given age forward, or even the previous age he had just pass. The narrative is sort of divided in arcs that deal with Bruce at different ages, each arc centered and written around a different character. It's not Jason-centric, but he's the first one who deals with Bruce and, iirc, the writer said that he will do so again in upcoming arcs. It's not finished, but there are lots and lots of words to read already. Teen rated, no ships, and a ton of drama.

Two Dead Birds, by @InsaneTrollLogic. As I already said, this is one of the best written works I've seen in AO3. I don't want to spoil much, because I want you all to read it with a fresh and unspoiled mind, but a base summary doesn't harm, right? Jason gets transported to the past and, well, he has a plan. I would say, for the nature of the narration alone, and because the violence and emotional pain (it's not angsty, but it has mature emotional struggling), this work is really aimed to mature readers. But I guess teens could enjoy it too. No ships at all.

Retrograde Motion, by @Lysical. Jason gets de-aged and doesn't remember most of his past. A lot of drama and a lot of warm. The family dealing with what's basically a tootler Jason. It says Teen targeted, but I would say it's mostly Gen but for a few of scenes with reference to murderings. Artemis and Bizarro are part of the cast. There are no ships, but you will read close familial relationships between a lot of characters.

Life, if Well Lived, by @CaptainOzone. This one-shot tells the story of Jason time-travelling back to the time in which Bruce's parents were still alive, and meeting them in a certain, sensible date. It's a nice read. Teen readers, gen ships.

A Hundred Miles through the Desert, by @acrobats. This is still ongoing, only 5 chapters long at the time I write these words; but I liked it enough to comment on it. It's a time-travelling story in which Jason gets transported 28 years into the past. And he cannot remember why or how. There, he mets Bruce after his parents death: a very stubborn 8 yo kid who is determined to make Jason helping him investigate their manslaughtering. It's heart-warming and even has a bit of mystery. Teen readers, gen ships.

And that's all for now. There are dozens of works with these two tropes out there, but these are the ones I know (I think two of them were recommended by other users as well). If you want to add any other recommended work, you're welcome.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 09-12-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: updated 04/17/2019

Thanks for the recommendations. Hard to find many Outlaws fanfics with the Rebirth crew in them (Hopes for a Bastard's last few chapters only just brought in Artemis and Biz).

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Maybe a little slash-y but still a beautiful fanart. (And I love how fast some artists react to new information/appearances)

(source)
    Here is the colored version.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

https://archiveofourown.org/works/11...pters/25096089

Father’s Day - It’s short, sweet and a nice read.

We need more Babs & Jason post new52 interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/11...pters/25096089

Father’s Day - It’s short, sweet and a nice read.

We need more Babs & Jason post new52 interactions.
    It is surprisingly rare to find the two in a fanfic together, especially without the rest of the Bat Family.

Oh, I just remembered. In the "aĺlies - lost in translation" section, we forgot to mention Scarlet. I know we don't tend to talk about Redhead Morrison Jason, but I wouldn't drop her out of the grid forever. I wouldn't even dismiss the chance that someone could try and bring her back into continuity at some point.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-13-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Oh, I just remembered. In the "aĺlies - lost in translation" section, we forgot to mention Scarlet. I know we don't tend to talk about Redhead Morrison Jason, but I wouldn't drop her out of the grid forever. I wouldn't even dismiss the chance that someone could try and bring her back into continuity at some point.
    I added her to the list. But somehow I was under the impression that Scarlet was the woman/girl in RHatO #14 who talks to Jason after the Outlaws have defeated Pyg and healed the Dollotrons.

I added her to the list. But somehow I was under the impression that Scarlet was the woman/girl in RHatO #14 who talks to Jason after the Outlaws have defeated Pyg and healed the Dollotrons.
    Huh. Reread that issue and no indication that its Scarlet. None their masks came off.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Huh. Reread that issue and no indication that its Scarlet. None their masks came off.
    It's more of a gut feeling because Pyg states that he meets Red Hood for the first time - and then there is that healed Dollotron woman, Jason reaches out his hands and promises her she will be fine. And pre-New52, when Jason and Sasha/Scarlet met for the first time, Jason did something similar. He reached out his hand and said to her that she could trust him.

But no, there are no real indications that this was Scarlet in RHatO #14. But I like to believe it's her - and that she has more luck in this continuity than in the old one.

As a side note: The OP nearly reached the limit of 10000 characters. I still can delete some quotes or outsource information in extra posts if necessary, so everything is fine. But somehow I'm surprised that 10000 characters aren't enough to stuff everything in one post. (Although I probably overdid it a little bit with the quotes.)

As a second side note: I saw in the Wonder Woman subforum that WW fans are going to start a WW Golden Age reread.

Maybe we could do the same for Jason, starting with his pre-crisis first appearance in Batman #357? (And then switch between Batman and Detective Comics so that we follow the right chronology)
    I haven't checked it yet, but at least #357 can be bought digitally on ReadDC and Comixology for 1,99$. Does anybody know if there have been sales for old Batman or Detective Comics issues in the past?

As a side note: The OP nearly reached the limit of 10000 characters. I still can delete some quotes or outsource information in extra posts if necessary, so everything is fine. But somehow I'm surprised that 10000 characters aren't enough to stuff everything in one post. (Although I probably overdid it a little bit with the quotes.)

As a second side note: I saw in the Wonder Woman subforum that WW fans are going to start a WW Golden Age reread.

Maybe we could do the same for Jason, starting with his pre-crisis first appearance in Batman #357? (And then switch between Batman and Detective Comics so that we follow the right chronology)
    I haven't checked it yet, but at least #357 can be bought digitally on ReadDC and Comixology for 1,99$. Does anybody know if there have been sales for old Batman or Detective Comics issues in the past?
    I guess we could. I'm probably going to have to wait for post-Crisis, but I'm all in for a reading club.

I've been meaning to reread his Robin stuff but couldn't find the time to do in one sitting. A reading club sounds like a good idea.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Most if not all of them are in Comixology. First appearance, dead parents, returning to the circus to solve a mystery, moving in to the manor, first time donning the costume, dying his hair, adoption, Dick giving his blessing, Man-Bat kidnapping, the whole Nocturna arc, Crisis, the whole Catwoman and Harvey Bullock arc... those are the ones I've seen. The only one I haven't checked is the Teen Titans issues...
    Oh and of course For The Man Who Has Everything is there too.

There is already a short fanfic using the reveal in Young Justice:

Gray...son? by Qais
    That's a nice little story. Great find!

That sounds like a great idea!
    Since I'll be starting with Jason's post-crisis stuff, I'll only be able to participate then, but it'll be worth the wait.
    ---
    Wow, writers and artists jumped on the YJ stuff incredibly fast! So much has appeared in less than a week!