Page 255 of 295 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,825 of 4424

Man, you guys are really hung up on the JSA. I honestly don't remember those NYC stories being that amazing because the JSA helped him move in a page. In fact except for Tomasi's run, most of them were worse then the Budhaven stuff. Which IMO is why Tomasi's run, where he transplanted just Bat villains to NYC btw, is remembered as fondly as it is. You guys don't think Dick can call a bunch of superhuman's who run at the speed of light or fly to help him move in Bludhaven if they wanted him too. That had less to do with him being in NYC, and more to do with Tomasi wanting to play up Nightwing as someone with connections. NYC really isn't that happening of a city in the DCU. Especially these days. Throw Ric in NYC, **** plays out the same. They pulled the whole Nightwing is import to Bludhaven out there ass to begin with even, as he was new to Bludhaven just previously. So not even the lame Nightwings is something they couldn't do. They can just repeat the same lie to readers. Do you know what else was in NYC, Abnett's Titans. And that was the epitome of boring, generic, formulaic crap. So im sorry, im just not seeing it here guys.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-05-2019 at 06:50 PM.

The JSA was just an example. That scene felt like they helped him move in because they were welcoming him to the city. Things like that are more available to use if there is an opportunity for it. You know what heroes welcomed Dick to Bludhaven? No one because it doesn't have anyone besides Dick there.

A Jason Todd tentacle monster welcomed him to NYC. Dick was there for almost 2 years before Tomasi took over.

Jason welcomed Dick back to New York. Dick spent his prime in New York
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I doubt Brothers in Blood is still in continuity, now seriously. I mean, come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    A Jason Todd tentacle monster welcomed him to NYC. Dick was there for almost 2 years before Tomasi took over.
    /thread

But seriously. There was enough bad story telling in NYC that we should all agree that moving Dick there isn't going to fix anything at all. The history that people are saying Dick has in the city isn't in continuity anymore. Does the JSA even exist anymore? What exactly will Williamsburg or Manhattan actually give to the character?

If we want Dick to show his connections, move him somewhere like Metropolis. If we want him to be a globetrotting hero, let him hang his boots up in Gotham somewhere (Amusement Mile comes to mind). Either of these locations would do a better job of "showing his connections."

-----

Come to think of it, if Dick were to really do what Seeley wanted for Nightwing and become Batman's global strike team of one, you know what location might actually make the best home for him? Wayne freaking Manor. Hear me out... Who are Dick's most meaningful relationships? Damian. Bruce. Alfred. Where do they live? The Manor. "But wait, what about Dick being his own man?" Dick doesn't even worry about stuff in Gotham. Bruce and Babs and Damian and literally whoever else have it covered. I honestly think he would gain more from moving back home than he would lose. AANNNND that could be an interesting avenue to tell a familiar and relatable millennial story: the awkward tension of living at home as a young adult.

I don't want Dick stuck in any city. But if he needs a central location to operate out of, it should be Titan's Tower, not the Batcave. Blüdhaven is disqualified because by nature it is a resource sink for Dick.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.

I think your analogy of a millennial living at home is accurate. But that story doesn't end with them living with their parents for the rest of their life. It's a temporary phase that could have story potential, but it's not a sustainable long term status quo.

And in the vein of analogies, the total and complete failure of Blüdhaven is a pretty good one too. Dick grew up surrounded by superheroes with stable "jobs" rooted in one city. But the nature of the work would have changed. And so in that vein, globetrotting could be more in the vein of the gig economy or maybe consultant work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I think your analogy of a millennial living at home is accurate. But that story doesn't end with them living with their parents for the rest of their life. It's a temporary phase that could have story potential, but it's not a sustainable long term status quo.

And in the vein of analogies, the total and complete failure of Blüdhaven is a pretty good one too. Dick grew up surrounded by superheroes with stable "jobs" rooted in one city. But the nature of the work would have changed. And so in that vein, globetrotting could be more in the vein of the gig economy or maybe consultant work.
    True! I definitely didn't want to stay at my parents place forever when I moved back home, and I got outta there in quick order. I could see Dick moving with the idea of it being temporary but his time there stretching out. In universe Dick is only like what, 25 at most? His relationship with Damian is important to him. He'd be traveling all over the world on these high profile missions, so it wouldn't be like he was trapped there all the time. If i was writing, I'd probably angle for it to be roughly a year (or maybe two) worth of publication with him at the manor, gradually and naturally taking over as the leader of Batman Inc. Then, as his organization of the operation grows, it would naturally need its own headquarters outside of the batcave. (Maybe move him over to the set up in the city he had when he was batman?) Either way, I think there is something to be said for embracing his ties to Batman instead of running from them.

Yeah, his ties to Batman isn't really a problem and actually can be used to his advantage. His "family" and his connections to them matter. One of the biggest problems with the crap they are writing right now is how disconnected he is with even his own family...

The problem when he is written in association with Batman is them making him second-tier and just a sidekick to Batman. But really that is a writing problem. A good writer should be able to play off the family angle and the father/son dynamic and the close relationship he has with Bruce without making Dick appear inferior or petulant or as Batman's perfect soldier etc etc etc. How Bruce views and treats him is an important indicator of how DC and us as readers are supposed to view him IMO.

roy-plays-dirty-but-donna-plays-dirtier

https://doc-squash.tumblr.com

It was nice seeing nightwing in Batman universe

How Damian likes to start the day whenever nightwing stays over at the Manor featuring Dick Grayson

https://doc-squash.tumblr.com
    Last edited by dietrich; 11-07-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Not a fan of Dick operating out of the Titans Tower. He's not Damian or Crush or any of those teen heroes. he's an independent hero so I'd like to see him with his own base and city to protect.

Don't mind if that's mixed in with globe trotting [prefer it actually]. I like Bludhaven cos I like Dick having his own city that's his responsibility.

Gotham is fine but don't like that as much since that's shared by soooo many heroes.

I liked the Prince Of Gotham idea that was planed by Higgins I believe before Grayson happened. Sounded really interesting. I was really looking forward to that

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Not a fan of Dick operating out of the Titans Tower. He's not Damian or Crush or any of those teen heroes. he's an independent hero so I'd like to see him with his own base and city to protect.

Don't mind if that's mixed in with globe trotting [prefer it actually]. I like Bludhaven cos I like Dick having his own city that's his responsibility.

Gotham is fine but don't like that as much since that's shared by soooo many heroes.

I liked the Prince Of Gotham idea that was planed by Higgins I believe before Grayson happened. Sounded really interesting. I was really looking forward to that
    I'd prefer Titans Tower, as it serves as a center for younger heroes and Dick being the most well known of the group, serves not only as a mentor, but the face of the group as well. It also gives him plenty of characters to bounce off of, both hero and villain alike. Not to mention, he doesn't feel so cut off from the rest of the world.