Page 234 of 295 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 4424
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    With all the bad decisions DC has been doing, let's be thankful for old comics. New Teen Titans, Dixon and Tomasi Nightwing, 90s Titans, etc. There is a lot of great old comics about our favorite character. If you are having a hard time introducing new people to present comic books, use the old ones. These stories are timeless. Even now I can't find a present comic book that could stand with the impressive intrigue and drama of the New Teen Titans. My one cent on enjoying comic books.
    The best way to introduce new people to comic books is with New media
    Tiitans has been my only consistent space for dick grayson withing the last year and he keeps getting better

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Tiitans has been my only consistent space for dick grayson withing the last year and he keeps getting better
    Although certainly a darker take on many of the characters, it is pretty good. And we can't forget Young Justice (animated series) either. Dick is almost always in a central role in the series.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

I think both yohyoi and Rac7d* make great points that should be combined. It's the new media that will bring folks to the table; the classics need to be available for the ones who want to explore further.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

According to Newsarama twitter 2 days ago, the most read comics in DC Universe app is DC Universe Rebirth #1 followed by Wolfman Perez classic New Teen Titans

Not surprising considering the people who subscribe to that app do it for Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    That fight gives me chills every time I watch it. Dick and Kory are consistently the best characters in this show.

Take notes DCEU. This show is how you do a darker tone while still staying (mostly) true to the characters. They're grittier. They're different. But he still feels like Dick. She still feels like Kory. The only one who feels off to me is Gar.
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-07-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I'll be honest, the fact that BC reported on 5G before the 4 generations was announced makes it seem more legit to me. But it'd also make me rather upset. If we divide up by generations, its clear that Generation 3 and Generation 4 have not had their shots at prominence yet. Leapfrogging past them would be a huge disservice to these beloved characters who have been in print for 50+ years.

It'd also be ridiculous and shortsighted to end Gen 4 considering in runs 1/3 the length of any of the previous generations and 10 IRL years as opposed to the 30 or so of the other eras. Cutting a generation short so early would show diminishing returns, prompting shorter and shorter generations and turnarounds. If they had any commitment, we should stay in Gen 4 until at least 2030.
    The most prominent characters in Gen 4 will still be relevant in Gen 5. Younger characters like Damian, Jackson, Wallace, and Emiko should be older but still in the range for the Teen Titans. Tim, Cassie, Cass, Lorena, these characters will be the adults. Then there's the rumoured new Batman and Superman (and apparently WW, AM, Flash, etc. lol).

It sucks but Gen 2 characters like Dick and Wally are old. They may have been treated incredibly poorly in recent years in favour of their more boring predecessors, but that's how it is. BC keeps saying "your grandfather's DC" or something like that, and when I think about... they're right lmao. My dad would've been the one to have read NTT as it was being published, not me. The world is not going to lose out on so much if Bruce, Dick, and everyone else takes a step back since their classic stories will still be as relevant as ever*. The idea that DC is finally going to move on from the Silver Age is a surprising one, but a good one imo. The DCU could use an update. Let's just see if and how long it sticks.

*We've got Teen Titans GO! still going strong, Titans, YJ, and several Teen Titans graphic novels, as well as a Dick Grayson one, so these characters still have a lot of story being told elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post

*We've got Teen Titans GO! still going strong, Titans, YJ, and several Teen Titans graphic novels, as well as a Dick Grayson one, so these characters still have a lot of story being told elsewhere.
    I wouldn't suggest that first one to someone who's interested in seeing more Dick Grayson. That show is already kinda hit or miss but he's the one part of it that is always bad XD
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-07-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I wouldn't suggest that first to someone who's interested in seeing more Dick Grayson. That show is already kinda hit or miss but he's the one part of it that is always bad XD
    Fair enough, it's not exactly my kind of show either but I have several younger cousins who've grown up major Robin fans entirely due to the show. They even know who Nightwing is because of his rare appearances on it lol. If DC Universe actually went international, I'd be able to legally show them 2003 Teen Titans episodes and prep them for Young Justice but apparently WB hates everyone outside of the US lmao.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I'll be honest, the fact that BC reported on 5G before the 4 generations was announced makes it seem more legit to me. But it'd also make me rather upset. If we divide up by generations, its clear that Generation 3 and Generation 4 have not had their shots at prominence yet. Leapfrogging past them would be a huge disservice to these beloved characters who have been in print for 50+ years.

It'd also be ridiculous and shortsighted to end Gen 4 considering in runs 1/3 the length of any of the previous generations and 10 IRL years as opposed to the 30 or so of the other eras. Cutting a generation short so early would show diminishing returns, prompting shorter and shorter generations and turnarounds. If they had any commitment, we should stay in Gen 4 until at least 2030.
    I definitely agree that it's way to soon for them to do a Gen 5, especially when feels like we've barely even established a Gen 4 (that could last) at all.

The most prominent characters in Gen 4 will still be relevant in Gen 5. Younger characters like Damian, Jackson, Wallace, and Emiko should be older but still in the range for the Teen Titans. Tim, Cassie, Cass, Lorena, these characters will be the adults. Then there's the rumoured new Batman and Superman (and apparently WW, AM, Flash, etc. lol).

It sucks but Gen 2 characters like Dick and Wally are old. They may have been treated incredibly poorly in recent years in favour of their more boring predecessors, but that's how it is. BC keeps saying "your grandfather's DC" or something like that, and when I think about... they're right lmao. My dad would've been the one to have read NTT as it was being published, not me. The world is not going to lose out on so much if Bruce, Dick, and everyone else takes a step back since their classic stories will still be as relevant as ever*. The idea that DC is finally going to move on from the Silver Age is a surprising one, but a good one imo. The DCU could use an update. Let's just see if and how long it sticks.

I mean, they've moved on from the Silver Age in many respects. Even their attempts at returning to Silver Age concepts led to progressive changes to the franchise (look at Hal Jordan and the Emotional Spectrum).

Trying to outright replace all the A-listers in current continuty just seems doomed to fail, which is why I just can't imagine they're going to do it to the main line.

Extraordinary Member

They spent so much time holding thease character back and not allowing them to grow up dick and babs should be married by now but people can’t progress

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, they've moved on from the Silver Age in many respects. Even their attempts at returning to Silver Age concepts led to progressive changes to the franchise (look at Hal Jordan and the Emotional Spectrum).

Trying to outright replace all the A-listers in current continuity just seems doomed to fail, which is why I just can't imagine they're going to do it to the mainline.
    They'll do it, but they'll be back again.

Dick never reached a satisfying narrative climax. His growth to Nightwing was a monumental moment in the comics industry and he lead their best selling title. Then he floundered and was turned back into a sidekick. He has like one good solo story. It’d be like going out with a whimper. If this would’ve happened after DickBats it would’ve been satisfying, but he’s been demoted and regressed, never given the narrative priority to justify closing the door just yet. I’d be satisfied with moving on from Bruce, at this point I don’t like what his mythos has become, but Dick isn’t there yet.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 10-07-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Dick never reached a satisfying narrative climax. His growth to Nightwing was a monumental moment in the comics industry and he lead their best selling title. Then he floundered and was turned back into a sidekick. He has like one good solo story. It’d be like going out with a whimper. If this would’ve happened after DickBats it would’ve been satisfying, but he’s been demoted and regressed, never given the narrative priority to justify closing the door just yet. I’d be satisfied with moving on from Bruce, at this point I don’t like what his mythos has become, but Dick isn’t there yet.
    To be honest, any Batman would have to inherit what the mythos has become even if it's not Bruce.

Being the new Batman is just a overdone stunt at this point. Dick is better served trying to find that good story and earning more narrative priority as Nightwing or Grayson. Which is hard when the comic department heads see Dick as a threat, and so purposely sabotage the character and listen to terrible, bottom of the charts, old creators like Lobdell with him. Still at this point i'd rather they continue to try and develop his own narrative path then go down the temporary Batman path again.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-07-2019 at 08:54 PM.