Page 269 of 295 FirstFirst ... 169219259265266267268269270271272273279 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,035 of 4424

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Tom King and Mikel Janín are working on something Grayson related:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5kraCFh...=1jmr9fkvptql1

So, does that mean Ric is finally done?
    After the last time King wrote Grayson, I'd rather not, its proven Seeley was criminally underrated on their Grayson run
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

King wrote all of the best issues of Grayson. But I think working with Seeley has shifted his view of the character in a way that was detrimental in the long run.

If A Once Crowded Sky was really a Dick Grayson story (it totally was) it was a much more nuanced take than the caricaturish and goofy Dick that we often see from King now.

I will never forget the time King said that Wolfman Dick was written more like Tim. It's the dumbest thing I've ever read on many levels.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 12-02-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

King and Janín doing something Grayson. Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    King and Janín doing something Grayson. Yes please.
    Depends on which King shows up. If we get the guy who helped craft Grayson, then absolutely yes (even though it seems Seely was the driving force in that book's quality). If we get the King who's written Dick more recently then hard pass.

If we get a proper Nightwing out of it, then I may give it a look no matter what. If it's more of this Ric bullsh*t I'm passing on it no matter what.

Janin however, is welcome regardless.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Shooting him in the head was the least of Ric's issues. Its everything that came after. Which King doesn't seem to be a fan of anymore then anyone else.

Shooting him in the head was the least of Ric's issues. Its everything that came after. Which King doesn't seem to be a fan of anymore then anyone else.
    Ric wouldnt have happened if King didnt give DiDio an opening
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

We would have been in a equally bad spot with or without Ric. The problem is the revolving door of creators phoning it in that still would have happened starting with Percy leaving for Hollywood.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I kind of doubt it is any kind of series or change in direction. I doubt King is going to work on two different ongoing Batman projects with him already doing Batman and Catwoman. It is probably just a one off. Also King writing Dick without Seeley is a bit concerning.

Taking a character you weren't writing and completely derailing their own story and book for some shock value in another title is all on King, especially since he had no clear plan with how he wanted it all to go afterwards. That kind of stuff should never be looked over regardless of what came after. Crap like that is what Dick's character has been plagued with since the New 52. Constantly being jerked around with no consistent direction.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Sounds like one of those one-shots in an anthology thing they like doing lately

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    After the last time King wrote Grayson, I'd rather not, its proven Seeley was criminally underrated on their Grayson run
    Nah, I can't get behind that - I like Seeley, and I like Seeley's run on "Nightwing", but I think character took a real downgrade in complexity, maturity and competence in that book compared to when things were running smoothly on "Grayson".

We don't, of course, know that Seeley isn't involved....

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Tom King and Mikel Janín are working on something Grayson related:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5kraCFh...=1jmr9fkvptql1

So, does that mean Ric is finally done?
    I thought he moved off batman cos his schedule was too busy but keeps announcing new projects did something fall through?

I don't want this. Grayson I now believe was a lot down to Seeley.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Nah, I can't get behind that - I like Seeley, and I like Seeley's run on "Nightwing", but I think character took a real downgrade in complexity, maturity and competence in that book compared to when things were running smoothly on "Grayson".

We don't, of course, know that Seeley isn't involved....
    King's writing of Grayson is batman is more than ample evidence to support what @Denric posted.

King has enough sway within the bat office and with DC that he could have stopped the Ric crap going as far as it did. If Lobdell was able to prolong it then King sure as hell could have prevented it or lessened the harm .

Speaking of Grayson

https://twitter.com/JarrulusX

Oh, I got no issue with King wanting to shoot Dick. The way DC has set the rules, Dick is first and foremost part of the Bat books, and his solo stuff comes in a distant second. King was writing Batman, so his priority was Bruce (as it should be) and he wanted to put Bruce through the wringer. Taking one of Bruce's most important (and capable) supporting characters off the board is a viable plot choice (we can debate whether it's a "good" one, but it's been a viable tool in fiction since fiction was invented). So I don't blame King for wanting to do it. It's DC who treat Dick like a supporting character, King's just doing his job, using the structure his bosses have given him.

And as I understand it King just wanted Dick off the board so Bruce couldn't lean on him; he didn't pitch in any real ideas for what happened to Dick afterwards (he wasn't writing Nightwing, so that's fine, that wasn't his job). Getting Dick out of Gotham could've been accomplished in a billion ways, and it's not like a head wound is enough to keep a hero out of the action if the writer wants it to play that way (see body-cast-Batman in Snyder's JL, etc). So I blame DC for giving the green light to Ric. I don't know who exactly is responsible for agreeing to this train wreck, so I put blame on whoever's the main editor of the Bat office (I forget the name) and the higher level administrators like Didio and Lee, because in business sh*t should flow uphill (as should praise).

What I meant when I said I dont want "new" King is that I just haven't enjoyed Dick's appearances in King's Batman as much as I enjoyed Grayson. I think Grayson had a level of character nuance and depth that we haven't seen from King since. And maybe that's just King not putting as much work into a supporting character or maybe that deeper understanding was all Seely (which a lot of people believe), I don't know. But if King is gonna write Dick, then I want his best effort and we've seen what that looks like (with help, yes, but still).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.