Page 26 of 295 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    https://twitter.com/chrisjonesart/st...651769346?s=21

Young Justice is the #1 original streaming show right now. Titans is #2. Who said our boi couldn't stand on his own? Dick is leading a new group: the charts!
    Thats crazy actually

Young Justice is the #1 original streaming show right now. Titans is #2. Who said our boi couldn't stand on his own? Dick is leading a new group: the charts!
    I'm honestly more surprised Titans is #2. I guess I really underestimated it.

Maybe DC Universe actually knows what it's doing ?

The difference between two actually minimal, which is surprising considering that YJ has an established fanbase, while Titans faced a lot of criticism.

Also lmfao them using negative quote out of all possible reviews. I don’t know how cheap it looks, but cinematography in Titans actually good, minus that strange blue tint. Same with fights.

So, I know the issues in question came out months ago, but I finally sat down to read the "motorcycle death race" issues from Percy's run. I don't recall how well the issues went over with people, but I loved it as much as I had hoped I would. They read far too quickly but damn they were fun.

Why the hell can't we have more of that? Those two issues were great! I thought so anyway. They really help prove the "Super Bat" idea some of us are always floating about.

And good for YJ and Titans! I'm not surprised by YJ (that show was always more popular than CN allowed it to be) but I've been amazed at how successful Titans has been with the fandom. We hate almost everything, so this is kinda big. And I love that we're getting two quality Dick Grayson's out of the deal, even if I haven't watched either yet. Plus TTGO! It's damn solid exposure, and even if a chunk of that is as Robin, it all helps Nightwing.

Hey, is YJ really as bloody as it seems to be? I watched a little clip with a Lobo fight that was way too brutal for my five year old girl. Watching the show has always been a tradition with my kids but it's looking like that's finished now.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-20-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    If it's Abnett, I'm expecting Dick to only do something for 3 pages every issue. While being a background character to someone Abnett really wants to write. The thing with Miss Martian should not have happened. Looking back at it now, that was pointless.
    More like Dick will spend every issue asking Bruce if he is disappointed in him and then get beat up by someone, lol.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I've always wondered. What was the general consensus when Dick "died" in Forever Evil. Did y'all know Grayson was coming or was there a similar freakout comparable to the Ric situation that's going on now?
    Subscribers were notified that their Nightwing subscription was gonna change to a 'Grayson' title so it wasn't as crazy as this. The only blowup was that he was outted to the whole world. I think this freakout has been the worse NW freakout ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So, I know the issues in question came out months ago, but I finally sat down to read the "motorcycle death race" issues from Percy's run. I don't recall how well the issues went over with people, but I loved it as much as I had hoped I would. They read far too quickly but damn they were fun.

Why the hell can't we have more of that? Those two issues were great! I thought so anyway. They really help prove the "Super Bat" idea some of us are always floating about.

And good for YJ and Titans! I'm not surprised by YJ (that show was always more popular than CN allowed it to be) but I've been amazed at how successful Titans has been with the fandom. We hate almost everything, so this is kinda big. And I love that we're getting two quality Dick Grayson's out of the deal, even if I haven't watched either yet. Plus TTGO! It's damn solid exposure, and even if a chunk of that is as Robin, it all helps Nightwing.

Hey, is YJ really as bloody as it seems to be? I watched a little clip with a Lobo fight that was way too brutal for my five year old girl. Watching the show has always been a tradition with my kids but it's looking like that's finished now.
    Some parts are dark, yes. And not sure if it was ever really meant for such young kids in the first place, truth be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Hey, I've been super open about adoring the Isle of Harm arc of Percy's run. Those were awesome, and really should've been what his whole run should've been like.

And yes, YJ is more bloody now. I have my own thoughts on it, but the important thing is YJ is now aimed at the kids and adults that have grown up during and after the first two seasons of YJ. I'm 21 now, but I was 13 when YJ first premiered. That's the sorta audience they're going for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    More like Dick will spend every issue asking Bruce if he is disappointed in him and then get beat up by someone, lol.
    I can actually imagine that. Yikes lol

I've always wondered. What was the general consensus when Dick "died" in Forever Evil. Did y'all know Grayson was coming or was there a similar freakout comparable to the Ric situation that's going on now?
    I want to say that we knew the Grayson series was coming before Dick "died" in Forever Evil. So there wasn't much of a freakout. Dick dying wasn't that heavily promoted. He died technically in Forever Evil where Luthor stopped his heart to remove the bomb that he was attached to, but that or Dick having to pretend to be dead weren't these big things at the time. Grayson was announced in April 2014 and the last 2 issues of FE were released in May and June and one of those were where Dick "died".

But like someone already said the BIG freakout was Dick's identity being exposed to the world in the first issue of Forever Evil. That is something that caught everyone by surprise. Dick got captured by the Crime Syndicate of America and they exposed his identity by putting it on every TV screen and mobile device in the entire world. So every single person knew Dick was Nightwing. The freakout wasn't as bad as the King shooting him/Ric Grayson situation since Forever Evil was DC's first big event. So while people were nervous and upset since it was such a huge change there was hope that this would lead to Dick playing a big role in Forever Evil and maybe something else afterwards since you would figure Dick's identity being exposed would be this HUGE story.

That didn't end up happening as Dick spent all of Forever Evil strapped to a chair or a bomb and did **** all. Then Johns had no plans or interest in following up on Dick's identity being exposed after using it for shock value and it was never even brought up in the JL books. The Batman office had no interest in dealing with the exposed identity too, especially Snyder who never even mentioned it in his Batman stories when you would think it would be a big deal. The Batman office had plans already and didn't want to deal with it and that lead to them deciding that Dick should pretend to be dead to push that situation away. There was no indication that Dick would pretend to be dead in Forever Evil and we learned about it when the Grayson series was first announced.

From that it lead to the Grayson book. Originally Tynion was going to be put on the Nightwing book after Higgins left and would have Dick wear a blonde wig to disguise himself, but I think they realized that would still mess things up and they needed to move Dick far away from Gotham and their current Batman plans. So the new main Batman editor at the time, Mark Doyle, then asked a bunch of creators to pitch stories with Dick as a spy and that lead to King and Seeley on the Grayson book and the whole exposed identity thing was contained in just the Grayson series. So they cancelled the Nightwing book for a little bit and quickly put together and planned out the Grayson book.

I was excited for the Grayson book as it was DC trying something different with the character in a fresh location calling back to some of Morrison's ideas, but there were a lot that were upset with the idea of Dick not being Nightwing anymore, cut off from the Batman family, and that he looked different. All very similar to the Ric situation now, and both stories were created to get Dick out of the way too, but the big difference was that the Grayson series was a creator driven idea and Ric wasn't. King and Seeley were passionate about and interested in writing Grayson, since they came up with it, but Ric was a story management came up with to get Dick out of the way and Percy and Lobdell weren't passionate or interested in it. This is what made me immediately angry over the story from the start. Since it had zero chance of being good when there was no planning or care involved.

This post is already too long, but the Ric situation is probably what would have happened if the Tynion blonde Nightwing run happened instead of the Grayson series. A poorly designed idea were a writer is just writing a story management wants. I just wonder if the Ric story would have been as big a disaster if Doyle was still the Batman editor.
    Last edited by Badou; 01-21-2019 at 02:57 AM.

There wasn't even a freak out when they shot him in the head, its all the crap that came after.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-21-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I wasn't here then but this is what I saw, heard, and debated with people

Grayson was coming right before Forever Evil ends. The main freakout was about the cover showing him using a gun, followed quickly by people mocking how could he be a James Bond if his identity is exposed to the world, calling it stupid.

The second anger came after Tynion and Hetrick's Nightwing ending was revealed. It showed images of a heartfelt funeral issue and family gathering, including Justice League and Gotham honoring him, and considered vastly preferred to King's Nightwing ending that's actually more of a Grayson prologue, where the whole issue is spent on Batman beating up Nightwing until he agreed to be secret agent, which, after the beating he got from Crime Syndicate and how Batman was very protective of him, is considered out of character and abusive.

Some refused to read Grayson until word of mouth came back and say it's good. Some refuse to read until after Grayson returned to Gotham and revealed himself to the family because they think the whole faking dead thing is stupid. Some refuse to read because of the overt sexualization and depiction of Dick that rely more on charm and improv than intelligence and planning. Some refuse to read until he became Nightwing again, and when they announced Seeley will be writing, some still refuse to read because they don't like how he writes Dick's character.

Oh, and a lot of cover, promotion and variant for Grayson features him using a gun, so some people refuse to read it because it features Dick with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    There wasn't even a freak out when they shot him in the head, its all the crap that came after.
    Well it was all leaked that Dick would get injured a while before Batman #55 came out. I think there was a bit of a freakout when it first became know, but we didn't know the details. Then it gradually changed into something else. There is still that original solicit where Dick was going to suffer from vertigo as a result of the injury and there was going to be a love triangle. Then it was revealed that Dick was going to get shot in the head, get amnesia and go by Ric. That is when it blew up. I think that is when the Nightwing #50 cover with the shaved head was leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Hey, I've been super open about adoring the Isle of Harm arc of Percy's run. Those were awesome, and really should've been what his whole run should've been like.
    I know right? Those issues were awesome, and other than them reading way too fast I don't think I have a single complaint about them.

And yes, YJ is more bloody now. I have my own thoughts on it, but the important thing is YJ is now aimed at the kids and adults that have grown up during and after the first two seasons of YJ. I'm 21 now, but I was 13 when YJ first premiered. That's the sorta audience they're going for now.
    That's a shame. I've been watching that show with my kids since the start. My son is old enough to handle the blood and gore but my daughter isn't. Oh well, she and I have Justice League Action at least. I know that show's over but we have the DvD's.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Since Dc hates Dick I guess he doesn't even get to keep his team right now in the Giant Special TT. He is supposed to be Dick to me but he's in limbo now. Tim isn't even supposed to be robin in yj let alone any incarnation of the Ntt.Feels to me jurgens wants to write NTT but had to use Tim, coz editorial . Kinda kills any hopes of mine that there will be changes in NW with Jurgens.