Page 85 of 295 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 4424
    BANNED

I question if Bendis could write Dick Grayson appropriately since he's a Tim Drake fan. Chuck Dixon was able to do both, but things may have become more polarized since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    We're at rock bottom right now, my man.

And DC is continuing the Giants, but they will be available at more locations, but they will also be collecting King and Bendis's runs in trades.
    I dunno, it might be like moving from one hell to another, lol.

At least the art will be good with Bendis I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    His YJ run is going very good so I think he just has hits and misses. But then again I did like his X-Men run so maybe different tastes.
    His X-Men run I think is the 2nd worse X-Men run of all time. I thought it was a complete disaster and its effects messed up the X-Men line for years afterwards. They are still dealing with them and only recently have they been able to try and move on from it some I think. It ended up making me drop the X-Men which were my first comics to be honest.

His YJ is fine so far, but it is so early and he is doing so much fanservice with the issues it is tough to tell how the story really is going to be.
    Last edited by Badou; 03-14-2019 at 05:36 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I dunno, it might be like moving from one hell to another, lol.

At least the art will be good with Bendis I suppose...

His X-Men run I think is the 2nd worse X-Men run of all time. I thought it was a complete disaster and its effects messed up the X-Men line for years afterwards. They are still dealing with them and only recently have they been able to try and move on from it some I think. It ended up making me drop the X-Men which were my first comics to be honest.

His YJ is fine so far, but it is so early and he is doing so much fanservice with the issues it is tough to tell how the story really is going to be.
    That sample from the Walmart stuff has abominable artwork. I'd think DC would assign Superstar Bendis the best of everything.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    That sample from the Walmart stuff has abominable artwork. I'd think DC would assign Superstar Bendis the best of everything.
    Not really. Nick Derington has great art. His art is clean and fun.

Example: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt92sclBw5a/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Not really. Nick Derington has great art. His art is clean and fun.

Example: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt92sclBw5a/
    This is a better example--thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    I like his Action and Superman. Now that’s the only stuff I’ve ever read by him and I see a lot of opinions that he’s awful so Idk. Just me personally, from what I’m seeing now in Nightwing, I’d take him. But again, I’m judging Bendis from a very small sample of his work.
    I've sampled most of his mainstream Marvel work, from Daredevil to Jessica Jones to Ultimate Spidey (following Miles to the 616) to X-Men and Avengers. Only thing I didn't really even try was his Guardians of the Galaxy; I read the two issues that dealt with Rich Rider's (Nova's) return (I love Nova!), and hated every panel.

His negative reputation is inflated.....but not by a ton. His last years at Marvel were.....pretty horrid, honestly. It seems like he had too free a hand and no editor would tell him "no" or try to curb his worst impulses, which lead to some really bad stories and some even worse retcons. But when he was fresh at Marvel and wasn't such a big name that he could do whatever he wanted, unhindered? He was one of the best around. Seriously, check out his Daredevil; it's amazing.

I've loved his Superman stuff, for the most part and I'm really enjoying YJ so far. And it seems like DC was the fresh scenery he needed to find his groove again. And since he lost a lot of his sales power while at Marvel, perhaps DC's editors are more willing to control him (though he's been allowed to make some big changes with Superman so he's clearly got influence).

In any case, *if* Bendis is a fan of Nightwing, he'd be an improvement over what we have now. He's (maybe) got enough clout that Didio might not be able to run him over and Bendis is best when writing street level heroes like Dick, but still can manage some higher concept stuff when he puts his mind to it. I dont even care if Bendis likes Tim or Jason or whoever more than Dick; that doesnt mean he cant write Nightwing too.

Sh*t, even at his worst Bendis would be better than what we're getting now. And at best? At best Bendis could bring in a level of excitement and quality we haven't seen since Grayson and protect Nightwing from DC management.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I've sampled most of his mainstream Marvel work, from Daredevil to Jessica Jones to Ultimate Spidey (following Miles to the 616) to X-Men and Avengers. Only thing I didn't really even try was his Guardians of the Galaxy; I read the two issues that dealt with Rich Rider's (Nova's) return (I love Nova!), and hated every panel.

His negative reputation is inflated.....but not by a ton. His last years at Marvel were.....pretty horrid, honestly. It seems like he had too free a hand and no editor would tell him "no" or try to curb his worst impulses, which lead to some really bad stories and some even worse retcons. But when he was fresh at Marvel and wasn't such a big name that he could do whatever he wanted, unhindered? He was one of the best around. Seriously, check out his Daredevil; it's amazing.

I've loved his Superman stuff, for the most part and I'm really enjoying YJ so far. And it seems like DC was the fresh scenery he needed to find his groove again. And since he lost a lot of his sales power while at Marvel, perhaps DC's editors are more willing to control him (though he's been allowed to make some big changes with Superman so he's clearly got influence).

In any case, *if* Bendis is a fan of Nightwing, he'd be an improvement over what we have now. He's (maybe) got enough clout that Didio might not be able to run him over and Bendis is best when writing street level heroes like Dick, but still can manage some higher concept stuff when he puts his mind to it. I dont even care if Bendis likes Tim or Jason or whoever more than Dick; that doesnt mean he cant write Nightwing too.

Sh*t, even at his worst Bendis would be better than what we're getting now. And at best? At best Bendis could bring in a level of excitement and quality we haven't seen since Grayson and protect Nightwing from DC management.
    You make some excellent points. Of course he could write a Nightwing book if he was willing to give the character a break--but my concern is that he would denigrate Dick, Jason, or Damian in order to make Tim look superior. He seems to be a Tim fanboy like Didio.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I was thinking the same. He's on my short list for writers I'd like to see take a crack at Nightwing. His style also just seems a good match for Dick Grayson in general.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I was thinking the same. He's on my short list for writers I'd like to see take a crack at Nightwing. His style also just seems a good match for Dick Grayson in general.
    Sure, if Bendis liked the character, it's likely he could do well for him. I'd like Ed Brubaker on.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Dick and Bruce Hug it out

http://lesbidar.tumblr.com

Because he needs a hug right now from Family

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

I haven't forgiven Bendis for aging Jon Kent up and robbing us of our ringside seats for his childhood; I feel it likely caused Damian to be aged up, too. I wouldn't want to see him to take over Nightwing; he's into Tim and there is risk that he would use the opportunity to further sabotage Dick (and explore depths beyond even what we're getting lately--at this point, I'm sure Didio could find something even worse than being a bald, homeless wino).
    While Bendis has gone out his way to proclaim the best Robin i haven't seen evidence that he also doesn't like Nightwing. He is using him in the Giant.

It's possible for a writer to favour a particular character but still do right by others. I'm enjoying his Action & Superman comics. YJ is just on issue 3 and finally appears to getting interesting.

It'd be interesting to see what he can do with Dick yet somehow i also don't want him as a long term Nightwing writer.

Nightwing isn't any safer under Bendis. The only writers with the figures and following to have enough clout are King and Synder. I don't know this as fact just basing it on sales and PR alone. bendis has a great rep but his figures don't match his huge name.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 03-15-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Liking Tim as Robin doesnt mean disliking Dick or Nightwing... There are people.who think Tim was the best Robin but Nightwing/Dick is overall a bettrr character, for example... and a professional writer should be able to do decent in any title he/she is given and not give in to.their biases and sabotage the toon...

those who are not very professional do tend to write horribly in titles they are not really interested in though...

and with Nightwing we have the additional problem of Didio's hatred and Bat office's total disregard. They basically put Nightwing on ice right now till King's batman arch is over.... talk about lack of professionalism. it isnt an environment that encourages writers or brings out the best in them. they are basically told to stall and do nothing substantial with Dick and his amnesia... so even though i think current writers could still have done a better job than this, the real blame isnt theirs. and not sure there is anything anyone can really do till King is done. slight improvement? yes. but no big changes like we all hope...

You make some excellent points. Of course he could write a Nightwing book if he was willing to give the character a break--but my concern is that he would denigrate Dick, Jason, or Damian in order to make Tim look superior. He seems to be a Tim fanboy like Didio.
    I mean, its possible, sure. But I dont really recall Bendis doing that sort of thing. There are characters he just doesn't write well, like Dr. Doom, but off the top of my head I can't think of a time when he purposefully threw a character under the bus to prop up another. Especially when he was writing the character's solo.

Maybe Bendis likes Tim more than Nightwing. I really dont know. But even if that's true that doesn't mean he'd sabotage Dick's title just to make Tim look good. He's not Didio.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Nightwing isn't any safer under Bendis. The only writers with the figures and following to have enough clout are King and Synder. I don't know this as fact just basing it on sales and PR alone. bendis has a great rep but his figures don't match his huge name.
    Fortunately (well, unfortunately) DC doesnt seem to care about sales figures. At least when it comes to their personal biases. Otherwise, Nightwing wouldn't be in the trouble it is, since it's one of the company's most stable and reliable titles. And Bendis has shown that he's got pull with the company despite not selling like he used to. He's got like, a hundred different imprints going and has been able to make some big changes to Superman's world, including destroying Kandor, bringing Krypton's destruction into question, and sending Jon on a seven year space journey. And if we want to we could probably include the return of the "proper" YJ characters. We know Didio hates that entire generation, yet they're back in proper form because of Bendis.

~ Black Panther.

Except Didio never hated that generation. That’s a false assumption people came up with after the fact, but when you actually look a things this will be the second time Didio has tried to launch an entire line around them.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-15-2019 at 09:45 AM.