Page 165 of 295 FirstFirst ... 65115155161162163164165166167168169175215265 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 4424

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    How does that work, do they ever have to come together and let the other writer know wha they intend to do, we have 3-5 books set in the same city somtimes
    I have no idea how it works. I imagine there are editorial edicts in place that cannot be broken, and after that it's just a matter of.....communicating with the other writer/s and editor/s and knocking ideas around until everyone finds a story they want to work with? I'm not sure how DC handles their collaboration but that's basically how it went in my freelance graphic art days. All those creative summits DC has where all the talent gets together has to be for something, right?

But not only does a relationship between two characters with solos get in the way of writers introducing/using different love interests, but it might limit narrative choices too. Like, if you're writing Nightwing and you want to, I dunno, give the guy super powers for a couple years, that might mess up the plans Batgirl's writer has for a six issue arc where the two of them handle a case together. Or whatever. Or if you send Batgirl to space for a year, that's going to look and feel different if she's got a boyfriend back on earth instead of the alien love interest the writer maybe planned on introducing.

If your character's main love interest has a solo of their own, you basically don't have creative control over one of your biggest supporting cast members. What writer wants to deal with a character they can't dictate?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I have no idea how it works. I imagine there are editorial edicts in place that cannot be broken, and after that it's just a matter of.....communicating with the other writer/s and editor/s and knocking ideas around until everyone finds a story they want to work with? I'm not sure how DC handles their collaboration but that's basically how it went in my freelance graphic art days. All those creative summits DC has where all the talent gets together has to be for something, right?

But not only does a relationship between two characters with solos get in the way of writers introducing/using different love interests, but it might limit narrative choices too. Like, if you're writing Nightwing and you want to, I dunno, give the guy super powers for a couple years, that might mess up the plans Batgirl's writer has for a six issue arc where the two of them handle a case together. Or whatever. Or if you send Batgirl to space for a year, that's going to look and feel different if she's got a boyfriend back on earth instead of the alien love interest the writer maybe planned on introducing.

If your character's main love interest has a solo of their own, you basically don't have creative control over one of your biggest supporting cast members. What writer wants to deal with a character they can't dictate?
    I was wondering how stuff like this would work when they marry Batman and Catwoman, as expected later this year.

It is like a constant trade off between Wally and Dick in who gets fucked over more at DC. It is comical at this point.

Oh and despite being such close friends both will completely ignore each other's situation like they have been because they are irrelevant to each other's character. A story of Dick being pissed off at himself for wasting all this time calling himself Ric while all this horrible stuff was going on with characters he is supposed to be close with will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It is like a constant trade off between Wally and Dick in who gets fucked over more at DC. It is comical at this point.

Oh and despite being such close friends both will completely ignore each other's situation like they have been because they are irrelevant to each other's character. A story of Dick being pissed off at himself for wasting all this time calling himself Ric while all this horrible stuff was going on with characters he is supposed to be close with will never happen.
    When Dick finally comes back to form I know it's going to be so unsatisfying. I didn't see this managing to last so long. So much awful stuff has happened to him and everyone around him; I feel like it will just be glossed over, forgotten or straight up ignored again.

Like seriously it feels like Dick is a decade behind everyone in the DCU trapped in his own little bizarro corner. You have all those dead Titans, Dead Roy, Suicidal and Murderous Wally, everything going on in the bat books and I feel like Dick will snap and immediately go back to being Ric once he hears about all the awful stuff going on in the greater DCU.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Its really is just sad that DC keeps going to Lobdell after these kind of shifts. First Ric, now Wally. I don't get it.
    Oh I totally get it. Hes the one that follow their direction no question, so hes perfect for directions no other writers want to deal

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    When Dick finally comes back to form I know it's going to be so unsatisfying. I didn't see this managing to last so long. So much awful stuff has happened to him and everyone around him; I feel like it will just be glossed over, forgotten or straight up ignored again.

Like seriously it feels like Dick is a decade behind everyone in the DCU trapped in his own little bizarro corner. You have all those dead Titans, Dead Roy, Suicidal and Murderous Wally, everything going on in the bat books and I feel like Dick will snap and immediately go back to being Ric once he hears about all the awful stuff going on in the greater DCU.
    It is something that greatly aggravates me. DC talks about how they want to tell these interconnected stories in their comic universe, but then they have these frustrating situations where you have all these BIG stories and events happening and a character like Dick, who should be deeply involved in all this, will do nothing with it. These are supposed to be his closest friends and allies that have been killed or had their lives ruined and all he does is piss his time away in this Ric nonsense. In which awful writers like a Lobdell spew garbage about how this Ric story is supposed to be "inspiring" and is what Dick would have wanted which is crazy, and even when he gets his memories back he will still do **** all. It is what always happens.

When Dick returns he should hate himself for not being there for the people he is supposed to be close with. He should be FUCKING PISSED that no one slapped him in his face and got Raven or Lilith to fix him immediately and that he missed Wally killing all these heroes like Roy, but no. We get stories where Lobdell uses Babs to talk down the readers for not accepting Ric when this whole thing has gone on far longer than anyone expected instead of stories that would actually make sense and are what would be interesting.

Even when Dick got shot in the head or had his identity exposed to the world those events barely caused any reaction to the greater DCU. There was like a brief mention of it by Donna in Titans about him getting shot, but then nothing. Not even Damian has mentioned it. Usually just Babs and occasionally Bruce are used to excuse away all the need for more DCU characters dealing with things like this, but it all feels just so fake and pointless in the end.

So I was just reading some of Cassandra's batgirl run. I didn't know she moved to bludhevan. Also what happened to nightwing?

I'm liking it so far but damn they went out if there way to make bludhevan as gritty and dirty as possible. But that tone dosen't fit nightwing at all. (it fits batman) when I think nightwing I think fun, sexy and cool not dark and gritty.

If dick is going to stay in bludhevan DC really needs to start having the city reflect the hero.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    So I was just reading some of Cassandra's batgirl run. I didn't know she moved to bludhevan. Also what happened to nightwing?
    During that time, he left after the death of Blockbuster (seriously even Ric is better then the Nightwing comnics from that era).

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    when I think nightwing I think fun, sexy and cool not dark and gritty.
    That's a common misconception about Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post

I was coming to this thread to post exactly this. The new Wally book is so indicative of how screwed Dick is going to be even if he goes back to being Dick. Either they gloss over everything and completely rob his character and stories of any weight, or they do what they're doing with Wally and give us a book we don't want specifically because everything that's happened is just not salvageable. The creative team doesn't really inspire any confidence, and I doubt the Nightwing book would be any better off if he did get his memories back anyway.

I've been biding my time with Ric expecting a big return with a solid creative team when the time comes. I figured why spin their wheels if they don't have something bigger that they're waiting on?

But oh man, if he comes back to someone like Lobdell or Percy or Jurgens... I'll be done
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Old, but a nice story

Why Barbara Gordon and Dick Grayson are DC's Greatest Love Story

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...est-love-story

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I've been biding my time with Ric expecting a big return with a solid creative team when the time comes. I figured why spin their wheels if they don't have something bigger that they're waiting on?

But oh man, if he comes back to someone like Lobdell or Percy or Jurgens... I'll be done
    And after Ric Nightwing’s profile could very well be at a new low. We’ll be lucky if they go back to him being a vetting character for new creators. It’s concerning though, cause this Nightwing’s team recruitment troubles started even before Ric. After Seeley left they didn’t seem to have a clue as to what to do and began the musical chairs of seemingly whomever they could find for an arc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lazurus33 View Post
    Old, but a nice story

Why Barbara Gordon and Dick Grayson are DC's Greatest Love Story

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...est-love-story
    I cant wait for Young Justice to come back