Page 1 of 295 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Dick Grayson: Robin, Nightwing, Batman, Agent of Spyral Appreciation 2019

Someone probably beat me to it but I didn't see a new one so I'm making it. Let's hope 2019 isn't as bad as 2019 for Dick and pretty much everyone else in the DCU.

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Happy New Year to Dick Grayson and all his fans .

May he have a better 2019...

Gotta get some great art in here, right?

DC Nightwing 2.jpg

And this is my scribble here. Not sure if it'll show the detail properly.

Nightwing McArthur.jpg
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I was beginning to wonder if everyone disappeared with the last thread.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Eh, I'm sure most of us are recovering from the new year's.

I don't drink or party anymore (back in my 20's? Different story!), and even me and my wife slept in until 1 this afternoon.

Once the hangovers and holiday vacations end, I'm sure the forums will be full of people complaining about how poorly DC has treated Nightwing again.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-01-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Who ELSE cares how we feel? Happy New Year, Ascended and all my other buds here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I don't drink or party anymore (back in my 20's? Different story!), and even me and my wife slept in until 1 this afternoon.

Once the hangovers and holiday vacations end, I'm sure the forums will be full of people complaining about how poorly DC has treated Nightwing again.
    headache here, checking in.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Who ELSE cares how we feel? Happy New Year, Ascended and all my other buds here!
    Happy new year to you as well my friend! And to all the rest of you fine people! I find that over the last year I've been posting in the Nightwing threads more than anywhere else. It's funny, the book is in terrible shape these days but I find the conversations here to be some of the best on CBR lately.

So, I've already posted in this thread more than I needed to but here's a cute story that just happened. My daughter is 5, and her name is Robyn Haley. Tonight, instead of me reading her a bedtime story she wanted me to tell her one. Now, she loves DC Super Hero Girls and Teen Titans GO, so I asked her if she wanted to hear the origin story of the first Robin.

How I never realized that her middle name is the same as Haley's circus is beyond me (she wasn't named after anything from Batman comics I swear), but my kid picked up on that immediately. And now, twenty minutes later, she's still bouncing off the walls yelling and screaming about how she's going to be a superhero.

~ Black Panther.

nightwing old colors.jpg

I'll be the the first to admit that I'm pretty awful at visual art, including recoloring stuff on the computer (literally sing ms paint over here), but I think Nightwings old color scheme works smashingly with the most recent Nightwing suit.

Glad I'm still 20 then, can drink and be up early without feeling like death. Always need to be ready to complain about DC's decisions or lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    nightwing old colors.jpg

I'll be the the first to admit that I'm pretty awful at visual art, including recoloring stuff on the computer (literally sing ms paint over here), but I think Nightwings old color scheme works smashingly with the most recent Nightwing suit.
    I always like looking at Discowing inspired designs. I actually really liked the one that was used in the RHatO flashbacks for Dick.

Happy new year to you as well my friend! And to all the rest of you fine people! I find that over the last year I've been posting in the Nightwing threads more than anywhere else. It's funny, the book is in terrible shape these days but I find the conversations here to be some of the best on CBR lately.

So, I've already posted in this thread more than I needed to but here's a cute story that just happened. My daughter is 5, and her name is Robyn Haley. Tonight, instead of me reading her a bedtime story she wanted me to tell her one. Now, she loves DC Super Hero Girls and Teen Titans GO, so I asked her if she wanted to hear the origin story of the first Robin.

How I never realized that her middle name is the same as Haley's circus is beyond me (she wasn't named after anything from Batman comics I swear), but my kid picked up on that immediately. And now, twenty minutes later, she's still bouncing off the walls yelling and screaming about how she's going to be a superhero.
    That's awesome, when I was learning how to read I had a bunch of comics and books for learning that were made by DC. I was 3 or so I think.

I have a topic for the rest of the thread. I was looking on google earlier today when I got some pictures of Nightwing for the thread and I came across this concept art. I remember talking about a few years back possibly before or right after the CBR reboot. In 2009 there was a proposed Nightwing animated series that would focus on Dick teaching Raven or something like that. It was going to be anime-like kinda like Avatar the Last Airbender but still more like western animation.

Would you guys think anything like this could happen on the DC streaming service or the like? We already have Titans and Young Justice with Dick in it plus the Chris McKay directed movie whenever that gets off the ground, (I heard that the script is pretty much ready but they won't move until The Batman movie is ready) he seems to be one of the few characters DC allows to appear in multiple forms of media and shows. Would a Nightwing animated show be too much? (Of course not)

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I have a topic for the rest of the thread. I was looking on google earlier today when I got some pictures of Nightwing for the thread and I came across this concept art. I remember talking about a few years back possibly before or right after the CBR reboot. In 2009 there was a proposed Nightwing animated series that would focus on Dick teaching Raven or something like that. It was going to be anime-like kinda like Avatar the Last Airbender but still more like western animation.

Would you guys think anything like this could happen on the DC streaming service or the like? We already have Titans and Young Justice with Dick in it plus the Chris McKay directed movie whenever that gets off the ground, (I heard that the script is pretty much ready but they won't move until The Batman movie is ready) he seems to be one of the few characters DC allows to appear in multiple forms of media and shows. Would a Nightwing animated show be too much? (Of course not)
    Yeah the concept art was for a proposed Nightwing series that was in contention along with other projects including Young Justice. We know which one was greenlit, lol. And I've definitely come back to this over the years and will continue to want a Nightwing animated series, especially as I personally prefer animation to live-action content when it comes to superhero fiction. There's just so much more that you can express in animation, the only reason I also want a live-action Nightwing is more the mainstream draw that would get. Or in other words, I 100% want an Into the Spider-Verse for Dick more than I want a Homecoming. Anyways, a new Nightwing animated series is definitely possible on the DCU, but I'm not sure it'll happen yet. They have YJ and HQ, and I'm sure they'd rather make a new Flash series or one based on one of the Trinity. I'll keep hoping lol.

As for the bolded, I'm not sure that's true. From what I understand, McKay created a sizzle reel to pitch for the Nightwing movie, that's what he was in the process of making when he created that Twitter poll a ways back. We've heard reports that Nightwing is not a priority for WB, so I guess it didn't get the greenlight. While WB could be gauging the success of The Batman for greenlighting Nightwing in the future, what we do know is that the actual script hasn't been finalized yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    nightwing old colors.jpg

I love this! I've had similar ideas in my head for a while now, so it's cool seeing something like that represented visually.
    -------
    Anyways, Happy New Year all. We'll be getting some YJ content very early on this year so hopefully we'll have some positive things to discuss! ICYMI, the first of two Outsiders prequel comics are coming out on the DCU service tomorrow, with the next one out on Thursday. Then we get the first three episodes of Outsiders on the Friday, Jan. 4th. We'll get three episode for two more weeks, and then four on Jan. 25th to end the first half of the season. It'll come back in June from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I always like looking at Discowing inspired designs. I actually really liked the one that was used in the RHatO flashbacks for Dick.

I don't know, trying to make the Discowing suit look more modern kind of loses what makes it so memorable. It stands out because its so 70's, and thats what make it memorable. Same thing with his original Robin costume. They're such testaments to their era. So when they try to modernize them they lose that.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-01-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Yeah the concept art was for a proposed Nightwing series that was in contention along with other projects including Young Justice. We know which one was greenlit, lol. And I've definitely come back to this over the years and will continue to want a Nightwing animated series, especially as I personally prefer animation to live-action content when it comes to superhero fiction. There's just so much more that you can express in animation, the only reason I also want a live-action Nightwing is more the mainstream draw that would get. Or in other words, I 100% want an Into the Spider-Verse for Dick more than I want a Homecoming. Anyways, a new Nightwing animated series is definitely possible on the DCU, but I'm not sure it'll happen yet. They have YJ and HQ, and I'm sure they'd rather make a new Flash series or one based on one of the Trinity. I'll keep hoping lol.

As for the bolded, I'm not sure that's true. From what I understand, McKay created a sizzle reel to pitch for the Nightwing movie, that's what he was in the process of making when he created that Twitter poll a ways back. We've heard reports that Nightwing is not a priority for WB, so I guess it didn't get the greenlight. While WB could be gauging the success of The Batman for greenlighting Nightwing in the future, what we do know is that the actual script hasn't been finalized yet.
    I've only heard rumors, I don't know anything. The only constant that I kept hearing in relation to the Nightwing movie is that nothing will be moving forward until Reeves' Batman movie if anything does end up happening. We know nothing and we just have to wait until we do.

I've been saying for a while now that DC would be smart to move into big budget animated movies. I really want to see Alex Ross' art style animated one day. Imagine them doing a trilogy that started with Justice and ended with Kingdom Come. Come on DC this is awesome. Sony developed new animation tech just for Into the Spiderverse, DC could and should do it too. Though if they did more solo focused movies I think someone like Nightwing or the Flash would be perfect for it.