Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
How does that work, do they ever have to come together and let the other writer know wha they intend to do, we have 3-5 books set in the same city somtimes
I have no idea how it works. I imagine there are editorial edicts in place that cannot be broken, and after that it's just a matter of.....communicating with the other writer/s and editor/s and knocking ideas around until everyone finds a story they want to work with? I'm not sure how DC handles their collaboration but that's basically how it went in my freelance graphic art days. All those creative summits DC has where all the talent gets together has to be for something, right?

But not only does a relationship between two characters with solos get in the way of writers introducing/using different love interests, but it might limit narrative choices too. Like, if you're writing Nightwing and you want to, I dunno, give the guy super powers for a couple years, that might mess up the plans Batgirl's writer has for a six issue arc where the two of them handle a case together. Or whatever. Or if you send Batgirl to space for a year, that's going to look and feel different if she's got a boyfriend back on earth instead of the alien love interest the writer maybe planned on introducing.

If your character's main love interest has a solo of their own, you basically don't have creative control over one of your biggest supporting cast members. What writer wants to deal with a character they can't dictate?