Page 59 of 295 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

So they found someone to write Lobdell's scripts. Feel bad for him as he is stuck with the Ric garbage as his gateway into DC. What a rotten egg to be given.

I do wonder that now Lobdell is off the book will Zack Kaplan continue to write the scripts for Jurgens run as well, or if Jurgens is just a fill in writer they asked on short notice to write a couple issues and then Zack Kaplan will take over full writing duties after Jurgens run. That is basically the next question that will get answered in the following month or two.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I love this art

If only the book were as good as this cover. Hell, I would settle for a quarter as good.

By Jason Fabok

#Detective1000 hits stands on (3/27) and I was asked by @DCComics to illustrate an image showcasing the Batman Universe in 2019. Check it out! ...Oh, and if you're attending @C2E2 this year, it'll also be on the official program cover! Colors by @bdanderson13 #batman #c2e2

https://twitter.com/JasonFabok/statu...18962957950977

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Love this. I especially love that Batmobile there.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

All-New Member

I noticed an interesting Ric reference in this Wednesday's issue #3 of Marvel's "Winter Soldier" mini. Yes, Marvel. Because the WS mini is being written by Kyle Higgins.

Here's how the scene goes: Winter Soldier is talking to a troubled, violent teenage boy named RJ, trying to lead him onto a better path, and suggests maybe the kid could use a name change. Here's Higgins' dialogue:

WS: If you don't want to be RJ anymore, you don't have to be.
    RJ: What else would I be?
    WS: Robert... Ryan... What about Rick? We could drop the "K" and make it look hip.
    RJ: ... How has no one killed you yet?
    WS: It's certainly not for lack of trying.

I gotta say, this made me laugh. Higgins must be hating this Ric "direction" as much as I am.

Mighty Member

Nightwing Fans 2 years ago: “nEW 52 wAS tHe WoRsT tHiNG tHaT hAPpENeD tO nIgHtWiNG”

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Nightwing Fans 2 years ago: “nEW 52 wAS tHe WoRsT tHiNG tHaT hAPpENeD tO nIgHtWiNG”
    Yeah... we're eating our words now.
    What I Read: Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League, Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl, , The Flash, Action Comics, Superman, and Suicide Squad

What I Miss: Justice League and Justice League Unlimited TV Series, Wolverine and the X-Men TV Series and the Marvel Comics that got me into reading comics to begin with.

"I can't wait until the 'Ric' plot line ends!"

Incredible Member

LOL that was me who posted that on reddit haha. Everyone here and on reddit complained about New 52 Nightwing. I always thought of it as a great run, clean slate to show who the character is, not just NW but Dick Grayson in general. I think most people hated N52 NW just because he was red, not even about the stories.

I don't think we've ever seen the character in a bad spot like this in modern times.
    Last edited by Darkcrusade25; 02-15-2019 at 11:12 PM.

New 52 was tough because the character regressed so much. He went from being Batman and leading the JL while doing all these cool things throughout the DCU to being isolated in his own book and could only interact with Bruce or Barbara. That was it. He had zero influence or impact on anything and he is still kind of suffering from the effects of that today. He had no friends (most didn't exist anymore), his history was in shambles and a lot of it was erased, and he wasn't given anything to make up for all these losses. So he was operating from a massive negative without anything to makeup for it. Then his stories were so overly dark and depressing. It was a constant stream of how miserable they could make him and how much they could tear him down over and over. Then later we learned that the upper management wanted the New 52 books (at least in the Batman line) to be overly dark and gritty.

All that being said the Ric Grayson situation now is the worst period in the character's history, in my opinion. From all the management problems, the pure lack of care involved from everyone, and the constant creator turnover is just insanely bad. You throw in just how awful Abnett's Titans run was and his dreadful use of the character (I'd argue that Abnett had one of the worst voices for Dick ever) and this is by far the worst time period in the character's history. I'm not sure anything really comes close.

Well it did lead to this...
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Not the worst anymore, but, IMO, still one of the worst, due to him being isolated from bigger DCU and them altering his history and time as Robin. He is still suffering from consequences of all wrong creative decisions that DC made at that time.

Yeah Nightwing fans always ruin it for all the Dick Grayson fans. We could have had Grayson for so much longer but lets return him to "just another spandex clad super hero" because finger stripes.

I would muh ha ha but it's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    Aww I love this so much. Plus RobinDick with a hood.... yess

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Yeah Nightwing fans always ruin it for all the Dick Grayson fans. We could have had Grayson for so much longer but lets return him to "just another spandex clad super hero" because finger stripes.

I would muh ha ha but it's not funny.
    Nightwing fans are Dick Grayson fans, I didn't know there was some distinction.

Grayson was only ever going to be a temporary thing. The series is gone and shouldn't come back, the aspects and storylines should still be around. I have been saying this for years. It was Seeley that made that run great, just like he did when Dick was back in the costume. His run in Nightwing I think felt just as good as Grayson. Even more-so because it amplified Grayson's importance to Dick's new overall story. It's been the only clear chapter of his new continuity. Plus with the New 52 Nightwing run being the only recent thing to compare to, no wonder it was so beloved.

Execution of ideas is the only thing that matters at the end of the day. You can have a great idea (Grayson) or terrible idea (New 52 Nightwing) but if done competently then you can have something decent on your hands. Grayson was great because it had a great writer and artist, the idea of being a spy rather than Nightwing doesn't make it better or the suit with or without finger stripes or Bludhaven or whatever aspect of his mythos you have an issue with isn't the problem. It's the execution of those aspects.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics