Page 14 of 295 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Honest opinion... I believe Young Justice is the best animated series DC has done. Yes even better than BtAS. Okay... Don't kill me. BtAS is a masterpiece but it didn't capture what makes DC so amazing. The characters. The relationships. The history. Young Justice does and even goes beyond what JLU covered. People going to point out I'm wrong and that's okay. This is just my opinion on the matter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Damian being so young should be celebrated. The age gap between YJ Bruce and YJ Dick is part of the reason both characters are allowed to develop without stepping on each other's toes the way it is in current comic continuity. Damian have 9 years to go means we won't get all the Robins smushed together like in the New 52, and instead it'll be right around the time Bruce is ready to retire and Dick will be willing to truly take in his own protege and not just sharing responsibility. A 20 year age gap between Dick and Damian would parallel the 20-ish year age gap between Bruce and Dick.
    I find Dicks age in YJ still kind of wired, for one he is now significantly younger than his team mates, and it causes the same problem with all the Robin (appart from Damain) being very close in age, that we have in the New 52. They covered that problem a little by skipping completely over Jason's time as Robin. But the situation of Dick allready becoming Nightwing in his teens, with Jason as Robin being quite close in age seems wired.
    I would have preferred if they had made Dick roughly 2 years older.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Just her idea to make Dick Grayson more "politically correct" at the time. It was a very BAD idea, but DC hasn't entirely discarded it.
    I know what Devin Grayson did to Dick’s heritage, but in YJ he is like the palest out of bunch. What the point to change his eye color lol

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I was browsing DC's digital store to check out what new books are out and when I saw Nightwing I'm reminded that his series began with "Better Than Batman" and now we're at "The Return of Rick Grayson"

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    Yeah, also noticed it, when he didn’t tell Artemis that he is talking with Babs. Probably because her being alive a some sort of secret to everyone except probably Batfamily.
    Also, the fact that in M’gaan’s mind Dick was the only one presented as a kid. Something tells me his generation YJ team probably feel themselves being alienated from Dick. He even speaks like Bats now.
    Maybe it's just me but I kind of wonder if something happened between Bruce and Dick in the time-skip.

Dick seemed really agitated when Ra's compared him to the "Detective" and he seemed to be trying really hard not to think about what Batman was doing after he left the League.

I wonder if it has something to do with what happened to Barbara that made her Oracle in this continuity?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I kind of wonder if something happened between Bruce and Dick in the time-skip.

Dick seemed really agitated when Ra's compared him to the "Detective" and he seemed to be trying really hard not to think about what Batman was doing after he left the League.

I wonder if it has something to do with what happened to Barbara that made her Oracle in this continuity?
    I think Dick was feeling just like me--sick to death of Ra's pomposity and over-inflated self-image. No wonder he wasn't very patient with him or Talia; he was like, "Quit bothering me, jerkwads!"
    Last edited by oasis1313; 01-14-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Honest opinion... I believe Young Justice is the best animated series DC has done. Yes even better than BtAS. Okay... Don't kill me. BtAS is a masterpiece but it didn't capture what makes DC so amazing. The characters. The relationships. The history. Young Justice does and even goes beyond what JLU covered. People going to point out I'm wrong and that's okay. This is just my opinion on the matter.
    Young Justice needs at least 2 more seasons before I can see that claim being true.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

There might've been a fallout after what happened to Babs.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Young Justice needs at least 2 more seasons before I can see that claim being true.
    I think that it may be less "classic" than TAS, but more enjoyable to binge and rewatch. And as a Nightwing fan first and foremost, I greatly prefer Dick's showings in YJ. It wasn't my introduction to the character by in means, but it has cemented him as my favorite character in spite of decades of poor showings in comics.

And its not like BTAS had 5 truly great seasons (or even 4...)
    Last edited by Pohzee; 01-14-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I think that it may be less "classic" than TAS, but more enjoyable to binge and rewatch. And as a Nightwing fan first and foremost, I greatly prefer Dick's showings in YJ. It wasn't my introduction to the character by in means, but it has cemented him as my favorite character in spite of decades of poor showings in comics.

I thought all 4 seasons and the movies were all top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I thought all 4 seasons and the movies were all top notch.
    While I still though S4 was still good and perhaps has the greatest impact on my views of the Batfamily, I don't think that it belongs in the same boat as the original. Those were classics. S4 was good, but not classic. Definitely not as good as YJ S1.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

While I still though S4 was still good and perhaps has the greatest impact on my views of the Batfamily, I don't think that it belongs in the same boat as the original. Those were classics. S4 was good, but not classic. Definitely not as good as YJ S1.
    Was it in BTAS that Bruce and Barbara had that affair I've heard about? Too much drama!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post

I think it's hard to compare both shows because of their different aims and styles. YJ is a heavily plot driven general DCU show that has a core ensemble, but who the leads are and their character development isn't as focused (the time skips contribute to things feeling more plot driven than character driven). Obviously BTAS has the advantage of a single main character and a core supporting cast who float in and out as the plot demands and a stable setting. YJ has a stronger serialized narrative, while BTAS is episodic, and that leads to the latter having plenty of skippable and even outright bad episodes.

But I think BTAS has it all over YJ in terms of style and atmosphere. The animation in YJ is consistently very pretty and well suited for action, but it lacks the moody atmospheric personality of Batman's visuals, which managed to elevate even the crappy episodes. YJ's visuals and character designs can be too clean to the point that they can be kind of generic. And while it's not the place for them, the Batman villains as they appear in YJ are seriously underwhelming compared to the Timm versions. The villains in YJ in general are among the weaker parts of it compared to the comic counterparts. It's very much a show where the strength lies in showcasing the Titan and YJ characters, and to a lesser extent the JL.

In YJ's favor compared to BTAS and the DCAU in general, what little I've seen of Nightwing (I only watched the first season and a half) absolutely owns TNBA Nightwing. BTAS Dick as Robin is a great representation of him during that period of his life, but they botched the latter parts of his journey. Other characters like Wally, Wonder Woman, Tim and Babs (sans romance with Bruce like she had in Timm's verse) also seem like much better representations of who they are in the comics than they got in the DCAU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think it's hard to compare both shows because of their different aims and styles. YJ is a heavily plot driven general DCU show that has a core ensemble, but who the leads are and their character development isn't as focused (the time skips contribute to things feeling more plot driven than character driven). Obviously BTAS has the advantage of a single main character and a core supporting cast who float in and out as the plot demands and a stable setting. YJ has a stronger serialized narrative, while BTAS is episodic, and that leads to the latter having plenty of skippable and even outright bad episodes.

But I think BTAS has it all over YJ in terms of style and atmosphere. The animation in YJ is consistently very pretty and well suited for action, but it lacks the moody atmospheric personality of Batman's visuals, which managed to elevate even the crappy episodes. YJ's visuals and character designs can be too clean to the point that they can be kind of generic. And while it's not the place for them, the Batman villains as they appear in YJ are seriously underwhelming compared to the Timm versions. The villains in YJ in general are among the weaker parts of it compared to the comic counterparts. It's very much a show where the strength lies in showcasing the Titan and YJ characters, and to a lesser extent the JL.

In YJ's favor compared to BTAS and the DCAU in general, what little I've seen of Nightwing (I only watched the first season and a half) absolutely owns TNBA Nightwing. BTAS Dick as Robin is a great representation of him during that period of his life, but they botched the latter parts of his journey. Other characters like Wally, Wonder Woman, Tim and Babs (sans romance with Bruce like she had in Timm's verse) also seem like much better representations of who they are in the comics than they got in the DCAU.
    I know what YJ, BTAS, and DCAU stand for, but what is TNBA?