Page 17 of 295 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Which episodes of BTAS would worthwhile for Dick fans? I think the Nightwingies are hanging around until Didio can justify canceling the book.
    Robin's Reckoning part 1 & 2 is my all-time favorite version of Dick's origin.

Don't forget Christmas with the Joker and If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?. Also Fear of Victory is damn good. There are more but these are probably my favorites.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BTAS served as my introduction to everything Batman, including Nightwing. While YJ there is more for Nightwing fans. That doesn’t necessarily mean it a better show though. Doesn’t mean I’m saying YJ isn’t a better show, or even that it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Robin's Reckoning part 1 & 2 is my all-time favorite version of Dick's origin.

Don't forget Christmas with the Joker and If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?. Also Fear of Victory is damn good. There are more but these are probably my favorites.
    I have them all on DVD, but haven't had a lot of time for watching--as usual. Thanks for the info--I'll look them up. A couple of hours ago, I went to a comics reviews site called "Weird Science" and the guy writing the reviews really likes "the current direction."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    -Batman #75 (July)
    -the end of Doomsday Clock (keeps getting delayed, so let's be safe and say July-August)
    -the end of Heroes in Crisis (May)
    -the Bendis Leviathan event (???)
    -and Snyder's next summer event (end of summer into fall, Snyder said, so August-September? #25 is the start of a new arc and comes out in June, so another 6 issue arc would mean September?)
    All kinda points to Ric sticking around for a while imo. Chances are they're going to want to keep the wheels spinning, Lobdell or otherwise, and wait until September or October for a relaunch or a new direction (as new as getting your memories back would be).
    Eh. Saves money.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    -Batman #75 (July)
    -the end of Doomsday Clock (keeps getting delayed, so let's be safe and say July-August)
    -the end of Heroes in Crisis (May)
    -the Bendis Leviathan event (???)
    -and Snyder's next summer event (end of summer into fall, Snyder said, so August-September? #25 is the start of a new arc and comes out in June, so another 6 issue arc would mean September?)
    All kinda points to Ric sticking around for a while imo. Chances are they're going to want to keep the wheels spinning, Lobdell or otherwise, and wait until September or October for a relaunch or a new direction (as new as getting your memories back would be). I definitely expect that to happen to plenty of other books at that point, since those are all the bigger events happening around the DCU and they all offer an opportunity to launch new books and stories.
    Whatever King's Summer Batman plans are around #75 will probably involve Dick. Will be some event probably. So I can see him returning before or around then, but I am very nervous about him using the character given how poorly he has handled him in his Batman run outside the 1 issue where he interacted with Damian. It has been bad. It will probably be more of King throwing him and others under the bus to push Bruce's story forward. So I have very low expectations for whatever it ends up being.

I don't think Dick will have any role in Doomsday Clock and I'd be surprised if the book really changed anything for the character. Dick is still very irrelevant in the wider DCU and I don't see what would happen in it that would change anything for Dick. Dick's history is a mess but he isn't really "missing" anything now. Titans and Bludhaven are already back, for better or worse.

I personally think Heroes in Crisis is a big reason for the Ric story and isolating Dick in the first place, but I won't get into that again. So I think it is very likely that the Ric story will wrap up right as HiC is wrapping up. This is where I'd place my bet if I had to make one. Maybe it will take until King's Batman event to relaunch a lot of the Batman books, but I think Ric will run its course right as HiC is finishing.

As for Snyder's event I don't think there are any plans for Dick in it. Since Dick is irrelevant in the DCU still and outside a cameo he will probably do nothing just like Metal.

Bendis Leviathan event (which I hate that Bendis is taking control of Morrison's stuff) will probably be the same as Doomsday Clock. I don't see Dick being involved in it at all or have any role to play. It is annoying that this should have been Dick's story with what the Spyral and Spy Wars stuff could have expanded into, but hey, at least Dick is back in Bludhaven wearing blue again...

So if I had to bet I think that Ric will end right around when HiC ends and it would be in time for King's Summer Batman event and Dick will probably be used in that. Then after that they will probably decide to relaunch a lot of the Batman books. So I think Lobdell will be writing it for several more months unless he can pawn off the book to someone else to ride it out until they relaunch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I find Dicks age in YJ still kind of wired, for one he is now significantly younger than his team mates, and it causes the same problem with all the Robin (appart from Damain) being very close in age, that we have in the New 52. They covered that problem a little by skipping completely over Jason's time as Robin. But the situation of Dick allready becoming Nightwing in his teens, with Jason as Robin being quite close in age seems wired.
    I would have preferred if they had made Dick roughly 2 years older.
    I think they got around that some by having Dick start his career as Robin at such a young age. I think on the show he started at 8 which was I think the original age in the comics. So while some of the ages are really compressed together Dick feels a lot older than he is on the show because he has been active for so long. Instead of the comics now where he started at around 16 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Whatever King's Summer Batman plans are around #75 will probably involve Dick. Will be some event probably. So I can see him returning before or around then, but I am very nervous about him using the character given how poorly he has handled him in his Batman run outside the 1 issue where he interacted with Damian. It has been bad. It will probably be more of King throwing him and others under the bus to push Bruce's story forward. So I have very low expectations for whatever it ends up being.

I don't think Dick will have any role in Doomsday Clock and I'd be surprised if the book really changed anything for the character. Dick is still very irrelevant in the wider DCU and I don't see what would happen in it that would change anything for Dick. Dick's history is a mess but he isn't really "missing" anything now. Titans and Bludhaven are already back, for better or worse.

I personally think Heroes in Crisis is a big reason for the Ric story and isolating Dick in the first place, but I won't get into that again. So I think it is very likely that the Ric story will wrap up right as HiC is wrapping up. This is where I'd place my bet if I had to make one. Maybe it will take until King's Batman event to relaunch a lot of the Batman books, but I think Ric will run its course right as HiC is finishing.

As for Snyder's event I don't think there are any plans for Dick in it. Since Dick is irrelevant in the DCU still and outside a cameo he will probably do nothing just like Metal.

Bendis Leviathan event (which I hate that Bendis is taking control of Morrison's stuff) will probably be the same as Doomsday Clock. I don't see Dick being involved in it at all or have any role to play. It is annoying that this should have been Dick's story with what the Spyral and Spy Wars stuff could have expanded into, but hey, at least Dick is back in Bludhaven wearing blue again...

So if I had to bet I think that Ric will end right around when HiC ends and it would be in time for King's Summer Batman event and Dick will probably be used in that. Then after that they will probably decide to relaunch a lot of the Batman books. So I think Lobdell will be writing it for several more months unless he can pawn off the book to someone else to ride it out until they relaunch it.

I think they got around that some by having Dick start his career as Robin at such a young age. I think on the show he started at 8 which was I think the original age in the comics. So while some of the ages are really compressed together Dick feels a lot older than he is on the show because he has been active for so long. Instead of the comics now where he started at around 16 or so.
    Yeah in YJ season 1 Dick is 13 (he became Robin at 9 in this universe) but has been Robin for 5 years. He became Nightwing at 19 which is probably my ideal age for him becoming Nightwing.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I was under the impression that he was 19 during Season 2, in which case he most certainly did not become Nightwing that year since Batman had already blown through a Robin.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I was under the impression that he was 19 during Season 2, in which case he most certainly did not become Nightwing that year since Batman had already blown through a Robin.
    I misread the wiki, Dick in this universe would be between 15-18 when he became Nightwing. Most likely 18 to give Jason more time as Robin, no definitive answer has been given for when Dick became Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post

Ya, I’m at the point where I think Dick needs to get out of the current Bat office. I have no problems with him being a Bat character, and I have no clue whether things would necessarily get better, but given the quality of the work of the current editors on the book and the quality of creator they think the is adequate for the title. The character just needs to get the hell out of there. The professional integrity displayed with this book been heartbreaking. When they obviously could give a crap whether they are actually producing something of even half decent quality to the readers, and are ok with regurgitating rather recent failed concepts, something is wrong. Even the worse producing book don’t see this display of lack of care and disinterest.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-16-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Dick did become Nightwing in the comics at 19 before what would have been his sophomore year at college had he returned. Given that in YJ Dick started high school at 13, it is likely that he became Nightwing at late 17 or early 18. It works better if you squint.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Dick did become Nightwing in the comics at 19 before what would have been his sophomore year at college had he returned. Given that in YJ Dick started high school at 13, it is likely that he became Nightwing at late 17 or early 18. It works better if you squint.
    It works well enough.

Yeah, the math is never going to line up properly. Best to ignore it entirely.

As for how long this Ric thing will last, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it stays like this until summer so they can re-launch the book with a lot of Event hype around it. Or, if some members of management have their way, write Dick out completely by making him a sacrifice for the story.

So I'm taking the money I would be spending on the comic/s and spending it on Nightwing merchandise instead. I let DC know that I won't support this sh*t, and I also let WB know that I'm interested in Nightwing and the character can have my money when the company makes it worth my time. Not that either WB or DC are going to notice my few hundred bucks, but it's about all I can do, and all I have time for.

And if Dick does get written off, I'll be skipping whatever book that happens in, and any book connected to it as well. I might actually stop buying all Batman related titles at that point; I like Bruce and Damian and Tim, but Nightwing tops them all in my mind.

I already dropped HiC because of Wally. I'm not collector enough to spend money on sh*t.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-16-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

As for how long this Ric thing will last, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it stays like this until summer so they can re-launch the book with a lot of Event hype around it. Or, if some members of management have their way, write Dick out completely by making him a sacrifice for the story.

So I'm taking the money I would be spending on the comic/s and spending it on Nightwing merchandise instead. I let DC know that I won't support this sh*t, and I also let WB know that I'm interested in Nightwing and the character can have my money when the company makes it worth my time. Not that either WB or DC are going to notice my few hundred bucks, but it's about all I can do, and all I have time for.

And if Dick does get written off, I'll be skipping whatever book that happens in, and any book connected to it as well. I might actually stop buying all Batman related titles at that point; I like Bruce and Damian and Tim, but Nightwing tops them all in my mind.

I already dropped HiC because of Wally. I'm not collector enough to spend money on sh*t.
    so them wasting all of the momentum of have Dick grayson and Nightwing on Titans and Young Justice
    I hate DC SOMTIMES

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    so them wasting all of the momentum of have Dick grayson and Nightwing on Titans and Young Justice
    I hate DC SOMTIMES
    No no don't worry! DC will keep Ric around until the end of Titans Season 2 next year when Dick finally becomes Nightwing to captialize on the synergy!

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya, I’m at the point where I think Dick needs to get out of the current Bat office. I have no problems with him being a Bat character, and I have no clue whether things would necessarily get better, but given the quality of the work of the current editors on the book and the quality of creator they think the is adequate for the title. The character just needs to get the hell out of there. The professional integrity displayed with this book been heartbreaking. When they obviously could give a crap whether they are actually producing something of even half decent quality to the readers, and are ok with regurgitating rather recent failed concepts, something is wrong. Even the worse producing book don’t see this display of lack of care and disinterest.
    I really don't know. It isn't like Dick has been treated any better outside of the Batman office given the dreadful Titans book. He's kind of stuck. I can't think of a time where the character has been worse off in terms of the comics since I have been following the character, which sucks given how he is finally finding a place outside comics in other media. Like I can't imagine how things will get much better. So he gets a new writer on his solo or Titans get a new writer, but neither property has any real direction or purpose. Another meandering Bludhaven story or rehash Titans story where he will be jerked around by the main Batman or JL writer probably when it is convenient. Then get tossed aside and ignored since he has zero relevance in bigger stories or the wider DCU. Odds are the new Nightwing writer will leave after an arc or two anyway.

He just has no one in his corner at DC anymore. A Morrison isn't going to swoop down from the heavens and save the character by controlling his direction to prevent other writers or management from fucking him over. The only one I think that might come to bat for the character would be Tomasi, but even that is unlikely with King mostly controlling the Batman line. It is just rough. Like new writers will make things marginally better at best but the character is in such a bad place now where you need to blow everything up and start with something new, but I don't see DC doing that. Since it would require actual effort and planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I don't think they will write Dick off, but I do struggle to see what they could do with him going forward. So maybe just doing more of the same is equivalent to writing him off in DC's eyes.

I honestly wish they would have just had KGBeast kill Dick when he shot him in the head, or just kill Dick off in Heroes in Crisis with the other Titans. It would have been better than this lazy and terribly managed Ric story we ended up getting. Sure he would be gone for a year or so but it would be better than seeing this continued degradation of the brand and property for months and months by people and management that don't care.