Page 226 of 295 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236276 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 4424

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    This is unfair, Barrows got sick during the run. Are we just supposed to expect creators to be machines?

Editorial also made Higgins time on the book pretty sad honestly. A lot of people talk about his plans for Chicago, but screw that. He had plans for Deathstroke (he was the writer on Deathstroke at the start of the New 52) crossovers, as well as a team-up with Cyborg. That's just what he was comfortable talking about. Even the Owls story was something he planned with Snyder based on their collaboration with Gates of Gotham, but the way the New 52 went he had to do something completely different for Nightwing instead.

I'm not going to pretend his run was good, but being critical or pessimistic about something and being disrespectful towards real people are different things (even if Higgins and Barrows are probably never going to see your post lol).
    How am I being unfair? It was what it was. I’m not disrespecting the creators, but it wasn’t a situation to succeed in. We had a brand new writer who barley got his feet wet in the industry, and a sick artist. They didn’t even have really the time to plan the run out and had to constantly navigate the whims of the New 52. Which in itself was being made up as they went. That was a terrible situation for the creators, but that is the kind of situation that happens when they just throw something together with what they could and no real plan going in.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-25-2019 at 08:29 AM.

To be honest, with everything going against him, I think it's impressive Higgins run was as solid as it was (at least in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by redmax99 View Post
    i'm iffy on lobdell but what did he do in the new 52 to dick
    Rewrite his Titans history.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest, with everything going against him, I think it's impressive Higgins run was as solid as it was (at least in my opinion).
    I like Higgins, and I continued to support his work in the industry. I was glad to see him get New Order so he can show what he could do in a better situation, with some actual time and freedom to tell his story. If they wanted to team him and McCarty up again, for say a Titans relauch, you wouldn’t hear complaints from me.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-25-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    How am I being unfair? It was what it was. I’m not disrespecting the creators, but it wasn’t a situation to succeed in. We had a brand new writer who barley got his feet wet in the industry, and a sick artist. They didn’t even have really the time to plan the run out and had to constantly navigate the whims of the New 52. Which in itself was being made up as they went. That was a terrible situation for the creators, but that is the kind of situation that happens when they just throw something together with what they could and no real plan going in.
    It seemed like you were blaming the creators themselves for all those issues, but maybe I misunderstood you. If you were only saying those circumstances were terrible, then I agree and I apologize.

I don't exactly expect editorial to handle the Nightwing book any different in terms of planning, I mean Ric happened and is still happening because of that.

I'm very mixed on Higgins Nightwing work. I get he had a lot of editorial issues, had no idea what Dick's history was, and there was a mandate to make things "dark", but I don't think he had a great voice for Dick's character and his stories weren't that good. I also believe he genuinely cares for the character, which I think very few writers do, but there were a lot of ideas he had I didn't agree with. Every arc was just seeing how much he could beat down the character and it got exhausting. Felt like all Dick did was fail and get beaten up in his run.

I am actually glad editorial stepped in and stopped Higgins' Chicago arc plans. I did not like what he did with Tony Zucco and what he had planned for him. He wanted to turn Zucco into Dick's own Joker and have a scene where Dick beats Zucco nearly to death with his fists. Also the Prankster villain was forced on him by editorial and he didn't want to use him and had plans for his own villain that never happened with it being the sidekick of a former hero in Chicago that went evil, which might have been interesting but I don't know. I'm glad that all got cut short and we ended up with the Grayson series instead.

Extraordinary Member

https://www.cbr.com/dc-nightwing-mar...n-cant-defeat/

I think this is fair, Netflix Iron Fist makes me feel nightwing would have a good shot

Extraordinary Member

They seem to be restablishing dick’s rivalry with deathstroke here
    This show is hitting all the right beats

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post

I think this is fair, Netflix Iron Fist makes me feel nightwing would have a good shot
    I dunno. I mean, I'm a big fan of Nightwing (wearing my Nightwing shirt right now actuallly!) so I certainly have a bias towards him. But I feel like the list ignored the fact that Dick spent most of his life fighting superhumans and monsters with the Titans, and it was a much bigger part of his life than it's been for Bruce. I feel like, when written properly, Dick should have better odds against superhumans than he rightfully should.

I don't see Dick taking down Spidey or Deadpool, and Wolverine would cut him to ribbons, but....Cyclops? Really? Don't get me wrong, I got mad respect for Scott Summers and his tactical skills, but Dick's not exactly a rube here and he's been dodging lasers his whole life. Sure maybe Cyke gets in a good shot (and he only needs one, because those optics are legit) but after everything Dick's dealt with I'm not really sure if "laser eyes" are gonna be enough to take him down. And the list talks about how Dick could easily discern Daredevil's abilities and weaknesses (because those are so obvious?), but "hey, Cyclops can't shoot me if he can't see me, and I happen to have smoke bombs right here!" would never occur to Dick? That one feels like the wrong call.

But I have a bias, so what do I know?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

As always, these things depend on the creators and what they want to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm very mixed on Higgins Nightwing work. I get he had a lot of editorial issues, had no idea what Dick's history was, and there was a mandate to make things "dark", but I don't think he had a great voice for Dick's character and his stories weren't that good. I also believe he genuinely cares for the character, which I think very few writers do, but there were a lot of ideas he had I didn't agree with. Every arc was just seeing how much he could beat down the character and it got exhausting. Felt like all Dick did was fail and get beaten up in his run.

I am actually glad editorial stepped in and stopped Higgins' Chicago arc plans. I did not like what he did with Tony Zucco and what he had planned for him. He wanted to turn Zucco into Dick's own Joker and have a scene where Dick beats Zucco nearly to death with his fists. Also the Prankster villain was forced on him by editorial and he didn't want to use him and had plans for his own villain that never happened with it being the sidekick of a former hero in Chicago that went evil, which might have been interesting but I don't know. I'm glad that all got cut short and we ended up with the Grayson series instead.
    Been a while but didn't he give Zucco a redemption/atonement arc? Didn't really care one way or another. I'm not against characters like Zucco or Chill getting explored further, but I'm not exactly eager for it either.

https://twitter.com/UberKryptonian/s...58018586726400
    yeah, this looks so freaking sick.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Been a while but didn't he give Zucco a redemption/atonement arc? Didn't really care one way or another. I'm not against characters like Zucco or Chill getting explored further, but I'm not exactly eager for it either.
    He did, but it was all canceled when his wife and kid found out about his past and left him, which prompted him to declare himself Tony Zucco once more, as in, he's back as the mob boss Tony Zucco. He's been using a fake name and tried to have a new life with his wife and kid up until that point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lazurus33 View Post
    Not surprising in the slightest.

I had honestly almost forgotten about it.