Page 242 of 295 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252292 ... LastLast
Results 3,616 to 3,630 of 4424

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    that was joker not the Owls
    I didn't mean to imply the Owls burned down the circus. I know it was Joker during the Death of the Family event. By "they" I meant DC and Higgins when they tore down the circus during the New 52 run. I don't really know how they fix it unless they retcon Higgins' run.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Most of the Circus survived but they don't want to have anything to do with Dick because ever since he took over, the Circus kept getting attacked and Dick always somehow escaped harm while the crew suffers.

All the old crew from Dick's childhood are either dead, evil or in prison and what's left is the new generation who joined after he moved to Wayne Manor that doesn't have an attachment to Dick beyond the professional.

I don't know how to fix it.

I wonder if they will ever update Dick's origin.

Because Circus's are alot less common now a days and atleast where I'm from they tend to have alot of bad connotations.

Mighty Member

I like the circus origin. It doesn't need to be changed. Those bad connotations could tell great stories. Look at Tim Drake. Boring background leads to a bland character is what I think happens.

Also for those who read Batman, is Batman even a decent father?! Not good, decent even at most. He could have prevented Ric. I hate the family abuser Batman we have now. He isn't a hero or a real father.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    He leaves the book often enough that i stand by my rotation stance
    Not really often enough, not in the runs that actually matter. In NTT he briefly left the team between leaving Robin behind and becoming Nightwing, but was still in every issue. Same with when Donna briefly lead them team when he and Kory were in space, and when he left to go undercover and free Raven from Brother Blood.

It's still a rotating cast and the hierarchy is very close, but I think Dick stills comes across as THE lead in a book full of leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post

Because Circus's are alot less common now a days and atleast where I'm from they tend to have alot of bad connotations.
    To be honest, I think you would have a hard time doing Dick's origin and finding something as memorable or with as strong iconography as the circus environment and his parents falling from the trapeze.

Not to mention how that aspect informs his character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest, I think you would have a hard time doing Dick's origin and finding something as memorable or with as strong iconography as the circus environment and his parents falling from the trapeze.

Not to mention how that aspect informs his character.
    they dont need to update his orgin, he needs to stob be locked at 23

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    I like the circus origin. It doesn't need to be changed. Those bad connotations could tell great stories. Look at Tim Drake. Boring background leads to a bland character is what I think happens.

Also for those who read Batman, is Batman even a decent father?! Not good, decent even at most. He could have prevented Ric. I hate the family abuser Batman we have now. He isn't a hero or a real father.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post

Well, it's 2019 where Dick's circus origin is relevant to all of his major depictions in other media and we're getting the Lost Carnival (which focuses entirely on his time at the circus) next year, so I doubt that'll ever be changed for at least the next 10 years. And given how much that background is used as the character's foundation, it really shouldn't be.

And about Bruce, yeah he's being written terribly these days. He says "I don't hit my kids" on the same page he admits to hitting Tim to relay a message... like, I have no idea what King was thinking when he was writing this stuff. Does he really think any of this is okay? I have a feeling he does, and his editor clearly didn't stop him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Not really often enough, not in the runs that actually matter. In NTT he briefly left the team between leaving Robin behind and becoming Nightwing, but was still in every issue. Same with when Donna briefly lead them team when he and Kory were in space, and when he left to go undercover and free Raven from Brother Blood.

It's still a rotating cast and the hierarchy is very close, but I think Dick stills comes across as THE lead in a book full of leads.
    He was not in every issue, I believe he left and Arsenal was leading for a period to the end

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Even if most people have likely never been to a circus, enough people still know what a circus is so I don’t see any reason Dick’s origin would need to change for the foreseeable fortune.

Man, how are we gonna update Dumbo? Or Deadman?

How will people understand fictional clowns like the Joker or Bozo or Pennywise?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Don’t mention Bozo’s name or he’ll come to you at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    And about Bruce, yeah he's being written terribly these days. He says "I don't hit my kids" on the same page he admits to hitting Tim to relay a message... like, I have no idea what King was thinking when he was writing this stuff. Does he really think any of this is okay? I have a feeling he does, and his editor clearly didn't stop him.
    It feels like we hardly ever get any "good dad" moments with Bruce anymore, which is probably why the idea of him being a terrible father to the Batfamily gets perpetuated as much as it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Man, how are we gonna update Dumbo? Or Deadman?

How will people understand fictional clowns like the Joker or Bozo or Pennywise?
    I don't think most people associate circuses with clowns these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think most people associate circuses with clowns these days.
    I don't mean to imply that. But the profession of clowns as entertainers is dying just as the circus is. At some point clowns will be that scary thing in horror movies, with the secondary thought that they were once supposed to be fun children's entertainment.

That doesn't matter. Both clowns and circuses can still appear in the media.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)