Page 254 of 295 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264 ... LastLast
Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 4424

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Once ric is done and dick is back in bludhaven do you guys think it will return back to a vegas/alantic city style city or will they just keep the gridy urban look? Which do you prefer. Me vegas style all day.
    Depends on the kind of creators we get after Ric.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Oh gawd that’s a depressing thought. Right back to the same old crap. Nuke Blüdhaven again.
    Nah
    Nightwing needs a home that is just his, he just doesn’t need to be home all the time

I like Bludhaven (well, in the 1990s) and am very much a fan of stationary home location and steady supporting cast. I just don't enjoy traveling stories or rotating supporting cast stories. I can't get attached. And I like getting attached to a supporting cast. They often matter as much (or more) than the hero to me. The are also much more suited to other media - series and movies. More accessible for audience (an a problem for Wonder Woman in not having one). Though I care about that far less about that than me enjoying the title.

Have him operate out of NYC. Sure its less distinctive, but he has more meaningful history in New York.

Dick doesn't work in his own city with his own mythos because he doesn't have enough established and never will. Put him in New York and have him play in the sandbox with others.

You want him interacting with other superheroes, that's how you do it.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 11-05-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

How will NYC or any city be any different then the Bludhaven situation. DC isn't marvel, its not a superhero hub.

The NTT were there and should be there. Which allows Dick to plausibly lead the Titans and still have solo stories without conflicting interests. The JSA was there. Firestorm. It just generally makes more sense for heroes to swing by NYC than Blüdhaven. Vigilante. He went to college in New York. etc. etc.

When Blüdhaven was nuked, he didn't go back there. When Darkseid started the end of the world in Blüdhaven, he didn't get a single line.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.

And if Darkseid started the end of the world in NYC with Dick there, you think he would have got a line then? The Titans are lost and irrelevant in general, the JSA is MIA, and Firestorm is honestly rather random. I don't think the potential of hanging out with Firestorm makes it a better choice, or inherently is going to make for better stories. I can take or leave Bludhaven at this point, but its not this fall guy some of you guys try to make it. They make it boring, they make it isolated, they make it irrelevant, and they make it so that anything done with it is thrown out with the next creator. Being in NYC isn't gonna make guys like Lobdell or Jurgans open things up and be less generic. No matter where he goes these problems will follow, cause at the end of the day Bludhaven is not the true cause. They even did move him to NYC after they blew up Bludhaven, and nothing was any different. The **** they were doing was just as generic and boring, if not more even. Same with Abnett's Titans.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-05-2019 at 05:19 PM.

The JSA, Superman, and John Stewart showed up in the first two arcs of Tomasi's run. Dick's storylines in NYC were at least name dropped in Blackest Night. In the first year or so he was there.

In Blüdhaven, he was more things that are his own. By his own. Completely isolated. And all those things suck anyways.

The only reason for a hero to go to Blüdhaven is to see NW. There's plenty of more reasons to go to NY, but they can still also just go there to see NW.

And there's still no good reason for Dick to be in Blüdhaven. He has no connections there. So many efforts have been made but they all failed. I could buy a connection to the Titans in NYC way more. Even if the Titans are no longer active, there's a reason for Dick to have been there.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 11-05-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    The JSA, Superman, and John Stewart showed up in the first two arcs of Tomasi's run. Dick's storylines in NYC were at least name dropped in Blackest Night. In the first year or so he was there.

In Blüdhaven, he was more things that are his own. By his own. Completely isolated. And all those things suck anyways.

The only reason for a hero to go to Blüdhaven is to see NW. There's plenty of more reasons to go to NY, but they can still also just go there to see NW.

And there's still no good reason for Dick to be in Blüdhaven. He has no connections there. So many efforts have been made but they all failed. I could buy a connection to the Titans in NYC way more. Even if the Titans are no longer active, there's a reason for Dick to have been there.
    He is no more islated then any other hero in their city
    I dont get the hate for bludhaven

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    He is no more islated then any other hero in their city
    I dont get the hate for bludhaven
    People aren’t asking for the Flash to be well connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    And if Darkseid started the end of the world in NYC with Dick there, you think he would have got a line then? The Titans are lost and irrelevant in general, the JSA is MIA, and Firestorm is honestly rather random. I don't think the potential of hanging out with Firestorm makes it a better choice, or inherently is going to make for better stories. I can take or leave Bludhaven at this point, but its not this fall guy some of you guys try to make it. They make it boring, they make it isolated, they make it irrelevant, and they make it so that anything done with it is thrown out with the next creator. Being in NYC isn't gonna make guys like Lobdell or Jurgans open things up and be less generic. No matter where he goes these problems will follow, cause at the end of the day Bludhaven is not the true cause. They even did moved him to NYC after they blew up Bludhaven, and nothing was any different. The **** they were doing was just as generic and boring, if not more even. Same with Abnett's Titans.
    I very much disagree, which I guess isn't a surprise. Bludhaven is the problem. There is nothing of value there. Hundreds of issues there and nothing of value has been created. Doesn't matter if you dress it up to make it look like Vegas or make it look like a gritter Gotham. It is all the same. It isn't a location creators are driven to write stories in. A NYC at least affords creators the opportunity to have Dick interact with other heroes more because it is a city where other heroes operate. Bludhaven is just used to isolate Dick and write him out of the DCU. That is its main function now. No one other than Dick operates in Bludhaven and that will never change. This entire Ric story line is them having to drag villains from Gotham to Bludhaven because there is no one in Bludhaven that is useful. I'd rather Dick be in a place where there is at least the opportunity for more types of stories than him being stuck in a place that we know will never happen in Bludhaven be that NYC, Gotham, Spyral, and so on.

I just hope we get a solid creative team that has a vision and little to no editorial interference.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I very much disagree, which I guess isn't a surprise. Bludhaven is the problem. There is nothing of value there. Hundreds of issues there and nothing of value has been created. Doesn't matter if you dress it up to make it look like Vegas or make it look like a gritter Gotham. It is all the same. It isn't a location creators are driven to write stories in. A NYC at least affords creators the opportunity to have Dick interact with other heroes more because it is a city where other heroes operate. Bludhaven is just used to isolate Dick and write him out of the DCU. That is its main function now. No one other than Dick operates in Bludhaven and that will never change. This entire Ric story line is them having to drag villains from Gotham to Bludhaven because there is no one in Bludhaven that is useful. I'd rather Dick be in a place where there is at least the opportunity for more types of stories than him being stuck in a place that we know will never happen in Bludhaven be that NYC, Gotham, Spyral, and so on.
    Bludheven isn't responsible for creating things of value. Be it Bludhaven or NYC, we have seen him in both, it's just a setting creators are responsible for making intresting. They can isolate him in NYC just as much as Bludhaven. Again it's not really a superhero hub, and it doesn't have a an inherent mythology with a cast of villains of it's own any more then Bludhaven does in the DCU. They will have to choose to have him interact with other heroes same as with Bludhaven for the most part. And what's more, if it was a hub what does it even need Nightwing for then.

Now I agree in that I'm at a point where i think they should drop the whole stationary city protector with him entirely. That would better keep creators from falling into the same old boring traps. Where just moving him to a different city has already been proven not to.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-05-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Bludheven isn't responsible for creating things of value. Be it Bludhaven or NYC, we have seen him in both, it's just a setting creators are responsible for making intresting. They can isolate him in NYC just as much as Bludhaven. Again it's not a superhero hub, and it doesn't have a an inherent mythology with a cast of villains of it's own any more then Bludhaven does in the DCU. They will have to choose to have him interact with other heroes same as with Bludhaven for the most part. And what's more, if it was a hub what does it even need Nightwing for then.

Now I agree in that I'm at a point where i think they should drop the whole stationary city protector with him entirely. That would better keep creators from falling into the same old boring traps. Where just moving him to a different city has already been proven not to.
    Something similar to Young Justice Outsiders? I could get into that.

Bludheven isn't responsible for creating things of value. Be it Bludhaven or NYC, we have seen him in both, it's just a setting creators are responsible for making intresting. They can isolate him in NYC just as much as Bludhaven. Again it's not a superhero hub, and it doesn't have a an inherent mythology with a cast of villains of it's own any more then Bludhaven does in the DCU. They will have to choose to have him interact with other heroes same as with Bludhaven for the most part. And what's more, if it was a hub what does it even need Nightwing for then.

Now I agree in that I'm at a point where i think they should drop the whole stationary city protector with him entirely. That would better keep creators from falling into the same old boring traps. Where just moving him to a different city has already been proven to not.
    It is about opportunity, and a setting like NYC has a better opportunity for those DCU interactions just because of the characters that live and work in that city compared to a city like Bludhaven. It is more difficult to create something of lasting value in a setting like Bludhaven than it is in a setting where there are more resources. Sure, it doesn't mean writers will use them and he can be just as isolated in a place like NYC as he is in Bludhaven, but it affords them at least more of an opportunity to use them. Like the simple scene when Dick moved to NYC before and the JSA helped him move into his new apartment is something that can't happen in Bludhaven by it being empty of other heroes. It is a setting that isn't able to support other heroes and writers have to constantly look for reasons to drag heroes in from outside temporarily, which means those writers are constantly working from a weaker position.

But my first choice would be to do away with the stationary city protector angle like you said. I'm just done with that whole idea at this point, but if I can't have that then I'd want him to operate in a setting that affords him the most opportunity in terms of stories and interactions and I don't think Bludhaven will even be that.