Page 3 of 295 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Burt Ward Robin made me think Robin is just a dumb sidekick for the longest time, which even after BTAS and Schumacher, whose depictions are not as silly as 66, did little to change that opinion, but this version was also the first time I noticed the legs... and hair... and face

8d7847013e4b68ddb3e9962cea0ef33c.jpg

Mighty Member

Which is why I love Brenton Thwaites' hot, serious and dangerous Dick Grayson. Goes perfect with Ben Affleck's Batman, and Brenton is a very hot Robin.

Mighty Member

Perfect Dick Grayson body. No wonder he is such a ladies man.

Backing up a bit, Robin Dies At Dawn was a very significant issue, as it was the only superhero comic I read at the time that didn't just have the heroes punching people and being a funny book, but dealing with death, loss, insecurity, and facing your fear throughout the story.

batman-1960s.jpg

So I'm very pleasantly surprised that modern creators revisit it. Morrison made the doctor that supervise Batman's training to be an immortal villain of the Wayne clan, the story is collected in The Black Casebook, and King paid homage to it in Grayson's Everybody Die At Dawn.

Oh, this is also the first time I know about Ace the Bat-Hound.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Burt Ward Robin made me think Robin is just a dumb sidekick for the longest time, which even after BTAS and Schumacher, whose depictions are not as silly as 66, did little to change that opinion, but this version was also the first time I noticed the legs... and hair... and face

8d7847013e4b68ddb3e9962cea0ef33c.jpg
    Burt Ward is still probably my favorite live action version of Dick. Perfect casting.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    I heard from a guy reading Batman Beyond that Ric was mentioned and that Dick doesn't want another Robin to exist. How do you feel about Dick seeing Robin as a curse? Damian is an exception as always. He was already living in Hell. Do you think Tim and Jason were wrong to become Robin? Jason was crowbared. Tim was traumatized. There is really a good case against Robin (being a bad thing) as seen in Titans tv. Anyway, Ric is temporary and Dick gets a wife and daughter, so we all good.
    I hate this idea. It feels contrived and is generally done just to have more darkness for the sake of it. I can see it as a phase after Jason dies but A Lonely Place of Dying helps not only Bruce but Dick as well. Tim is an important part of Dick's journey of accepting that Robin will live on after him.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Hack or Diley. Hack or Delay!? It's easy to remember Mr. Richard Grayson and Mrs. Harleen Grayson.

https://screenrant.com/nightwing-har...married-comic/
    Gross, I don't know what messed up Dick in this universe to the point he would get with Harley. Scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    are we gonna refresh the thread every year now? Also I wonder if Appreciation is eve the best word to use the last 7 months has been mostly complaing and disgust
    We wouldn't complain if we didn't care. The most dangerous emotion for DC is apathy, not "hatred" or anger. If you don't care, you don't buy books.

Besides if you were here when Grayson was going on this thread was probably happier than Disney World.

The legs came back full force once Dick hits college and comic art is getting real. The first time I noticed it in the comic was the wrestling scene in the Rupert Thorne arc.

134339419be411288c19c5c3943ac776._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Besides if you were here when Grayson was going on this thread was probably happier than Disney World.
    Yeah it was.

That's one of the things I've really come to appreciate about the Nightwing fandom; we're passionate as hell and will complain when we're pissed but when things are good? We really embrace it and enjoy it. You don't seem to see that with other heroes' fandoms as much; when things are good a lot of fans worry about how long it'll last or find other ways to ruin it for themselves, but when Nightwing's good? We revel in it like a bunch of hedonists.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Hack or Diley. Hack or Delay!? It's easy to remember Mr. Richard Grayson and Mrs. Harleen Grayson.

https://screenrant.com/nightwing-har...married-comic/
    Maybe Harley just THINKS Dick has passed away, and he comes back to sweep her off her feet and make her The World's Finest Cougar.

I'm guessing Harley had a ton of ex-husbands in that mini series? Given the "Who wasn't" line after the reveal, lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah it was.

That's one of the things I've really come to appreciate about the Nightwing fandom; we're passionate as hell and will complain when we're pissed but when things are good? We really embrace it and enjoy it. You don't seem to see that with other heroes' fandoms as much; when things are good a lot of fans worry about how long it'll last or find other ways to ruin it for themselves, but when Nightwing's good? We revel in it like a bunch of hedonists.
    Oh man. Remember when Helena realized Dick needed to do some Nightwingish stuff so she chased him all over St. Hadrian's and the Skull Girls were all just staring at his butt?

THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

Remember when he and Midnighter stopped that whole nest of vampires?

AHHHHHH.

Actually we were glory-daying when he was Batman, too and we had simultaneous Morrison run, Black Mirror, Dick as Batman in the JLA, Dick teaming up with Power Girl, Dick showing up in Generation Lost, Dick in Streets of Gotham ...

I've recently re-read the New 52 run. It's not that strong - only about half as strong as Seeley's Rebirth run and a slave to every crossover (so, akin to the latter half of the Bludhaven run). So it feels like the ups and downs with Nightwing books are pretty consistent - you get a good strong run, then some slave-to-the-crossover or fill-in periods, then another strong direction. But it's consistent all the way back - WOLFMAN ... Later Wolfman ... DIXON ... Grayson ... Jones ... Tomasi ... MORRISON ... SNYDER ... Higgins ... SEELEY-KING ... SEELEY ... Present.

Historically we'll be spoiled if we get Good Nightwing within the next run or two.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I'm too lazy to quote rn, but about Old Lady Harley, Dick is just one of her ex-spouses. She apparently married Catwoman and Killer Croc too, lol. It's best not to take it too seriously given that the whole book is a parody of Old Man Logan.

As for the Batman Beyond book, that whole timeline is sorta messed up tbh. It's a timeline somewhat based on the DCAU (not exactly great for Dick or any Robin), the New 52 (specifically Futures End, again not great for any Robin), and current events (like Dick getting shot in the head, do I even have to say it?) in which Tim got screwed over, Damian goes bad, and who knows about Jason (I'm guessing he was the Red Hood for a while? Is he still alive?). If Dick thinks being Robin is a bad idea in that timeline, it's definitely warranted. Has nothing to do with mainline stuff or with how Dick is dealing with his insecurities in the Titans series.

And lastly, about costumes, I've always liked the idea that characters switch things up. Like maybe the hypothetical NTT-colours-on-the-Rebirth-design suit is what Dick would wear in Metropolis? It doesn't have to replace the current suit, it would be more interesting to see Dick rotate between different suits with a common symbol between them. I mean, that's exactly what's allowed Batman and specifically Bruce to be so identifiable regardless of the many differences between his many designs. I grew up with the more toyetic The Batman and the more practical Young Justice, so I love seeing characters actually wear different costumes to deal with different situations. There should be a winter Nightwing suit for the cold, a volcano-proof suit, a "super" suit that lets him fight monsters or whatever, etc. Even if it's more casual than that, and it's just Nightwing wearing a leather jacket or an apron over his suit for whatever situation he's in, it adds a lot more character to the scenarios imo. We get this in little ways of course, i.e. Gotham Resistance, Nightwing #42, Titans #26, etc., and once upon a time his 90's suit was recontextualized as a "gliding suit" too. Dick even had an armoured up Batsuit during the Batman Reborn era. I just wish we could take all that and push it a bit more.

Edit: Also lemme just add, I personally loved Tomasi's run and Humphries' arc. Both of them should've been given a lot more time with the character, but in Tomasi's case it's not really a problem since we got Batman Reborn a little bit after his Nightwing run.
    Last edited by Grayson - The Dark Heir; 01-02-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Historically we'll be spoiled if we get Good Nightwing within the next run or two.
    Ha! That's true. Maybe that's why we tend to enjoy the high points more.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.