Page 33 of 295 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    If you don’t use characters, how they suppose to bring you money? Everyone loves Donna in Titans. Because she is awesome there. Then you look at her comicbook counterpart... and she is just a mess there. Because writers for decades misused her and turned her origin story into something... strange.
    I know that, but that doesn't answer why DC should start caring about a group of lite versions of there most popular characters. It makes more sense to direct that focus to characters like vixen or vibe or booster gold.

What reason should DC START caring about the fab 5 in 2019?

Man, Young Justice is just so good. Such a great version of Dick's character. It is by far my favorite other media adaptation of the character I've ever seen and I don't think another version really comes that close. The growth the character has had since season one, all of his deep connections within the DCU, and how he actually feels like a capable hero is so refreshing. It is clear that the YJ creators really are passionate about the character and showing how they evolve as heroes in a realistic way.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    I know that, but that doesn't answer why DC should start caring about a group of lite versions of there most popular characters. It makes more sense to direct that focus to characters like vixen or vibe or booster gold.

I have better question. Why shouldn’t they. If Fab 5 that useless and they don’t bring any profit especially compared to Vixen and Booster Gold, then they should stop using them at all. But DC simply can’t. Because Fab 5 have their own charms that bring fans. It’s not their problem that DC can’t manage and give equal opportunities to all their generations of heroes and embrace their history instead of trying to hide it.

This so adorable

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This so adorable
    Ikr. I miss my D&d interactions.

Mighty Member

Shipping Dick and Diana should be a sin. She isn't even a redhead.

Plus the bro code with Donna.

I have better question. Why shouldn’t they. If Fab 5 that useless and they don’t bring any profit especially compared to Vixen and Booster Gold, then they should stop using them at all. But DC simply can’t. Because Fab 5 have their own charms that bring fans. It’s not their problem that DC can’t manage and give equal opportunities to all their generations of heroes and embrace their history instead of trying to hide it.
    i'm sure that even in the current state Titans are in right now, they would sell more than Vixen and Vibe

Because the trinity brings in the money! Honestly outside of dick, Wally and maybe Roy what money does the fab 5 being in?
    Outside of those three? Not much really. Donna has been a mess ever since a writer mistook her for an original character instead of a young Diana, and Garth never amounted to much either. Of course, the profitable Fab5 represent more than half of the group which isn't a bad ratio. And the real potential in many of the Titans is as Titans, not as individual IP's.

But you might as well ask why anyone ever bothers with the Martian Manhunter, or Aquaman (before Johns got ahold of him). Or Wonder Woman; for a big chunk of Diana's modern history her title didn't make much money at all and DC kept it going simply because they had to in order to retain the rights to her character. J'onn has never been able to support himself, and Aquaman's history was extremely hit-or-miss until recently.

Its not just about raw profit. There's far more to it than just that; there's brand recognition and expectation, among other things, and in that regard Dick (and Wally and the other Titans) have value. It is expected that the DCU have these characters and fans are never satisfied when they're gone. Sh*t man, Titans has been utter crap for years and it's still a consistent mid-level seller. Any other book without such a A-grade pedigree would've collapsed under low sales, but the brand power of the Titans keeps it not just alive, but healthy. It takes drastically poor quality to bring the sales on Titans down to a level where cancellation is a concern, and the book pops right back up again almost as soon as the final issue hits, right back to its consistent sales....until poor management drives it down again.

What reason? Geez, how many do you want? I dont think it requires any explanation that Wally is still popular and viable. The "Mark Waid years" are generating money in trade sales even though Wally's been mistreated and out of the Flash role for a full decade, and Wally still has a strong fanbase. Nightwing......f**k, Dick Grayson has one of the highest sales floors in the entire industry, near as I can tell. Look at how bad the book has been lately; any other title would've been cancelled due to low sales by this point, yet Nightwing is still a solid mid-level seller. It takes a whole lot of effort to make a Nightwing book sell so bad it plummets down the charts. And even when the name, costume, and all the other trappings that make up his brand value are removed (Im talking the Grayson series) Dick still sells consistently. It doesnt take a business expert to see that the foundation is solid and could be built on with a little TLC. Seriously, six months of quality effort would see sales start to increase and if DC played it right there's no telling where the sales ceiling could end up.

But if you need a simple reason; I have two. Right now the biggest streaming original shows are Young Justice and Titans. Considering the amazing OG shows on Netflix and Hulu, that's saying something. Clearly, there's an audience out there for the Titans generation and other related characters. If DC doesn't want to even try to capitalize on that, it proves only that their managing efforts are skewed, nothing else.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Titans basically YA version of superheroes. That type of stories and characters would always have their fanbase. The fact that all that characters “lite” version of bigger characters the drama and story of their own. It’s sad that DC and some others refuse to see a potential here, when actual interest from their fanbase shows otherwise.

I don’t know why DC so afraid to show that everyone has their own little family and legacy.

BANNED

Booster has always been a failed character; hidden books fold every time they’ve tossed out there. Vixen, just another animal-girl like Wolfsbane, Feral, Cheetah, whatever. I don’t even know who Vibe is. It always amazes me that they get better treatment than Dick Grayson.

I don’t know why DC so afraid to show that everyone has their own little family and legacy.
    It seems to me that upper management believes that DC should have two generations; the League and their kid sidekicks. Any other generation gets in the way.

From what Didio has said about Dick and the NTT generation, he's afraid that showing these characters as capable, adult heroes forces a unattractive level of age on the League generation (which are the bigger, more profitable IP's). That's likely the same reason why the JSA has been undersold under Didio; he believes a hero should be in his prime, not an old person.

How management can actually maintain this opinion when there are decades of popular stories showing the falsehood of it is beyond me, however.

I dont get how someone who doesn't like generational legacies of heroes can be in charge at a company built on legacy and generational heroes, but that's what we have.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.