Page 41 of 295 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Not gonna lie, wasn’t a fan of the Runoffs. I could never stand that stupid karate cowboy.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-31-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Glad I'm not the only one who didnt love them. And then Seeley killed of Giz, probably the only one who could have served a lasting purpose (as Dick's personal oracle).

I might be the only one, but I'd like Dudley Soames back, not as Torque, but as a corrupt detective. Especially in VegasHaven, where he could be bought up by mob money.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Not gonna lie, wasn’t a fan of the Runoffs. I could never stand that stupid karate cowboy.
    I liked the stupid karate cowboy and the Runoffs.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Same, even Dick’s new girl at the time. I believed it wasn’t gonna matter after seeey’s run and I was right.

As for supporting cast, I feel like Huntress/Barbara/The Robins have always been Dick’s most consistent supporting cast members.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I liked the stupid karate cowboy and the Runoffs.
    Same here. Gave some added color for Bludhaven, and sometimes allies that Dick could ask for help when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Clancy is a doctor now; she's isn't going to take a pay cut to Night Nurse. Actually, I'd like some new characters instead of going back to Dixon retreads. Didn't Clancy call Dick "boyo" a time or two?

By the way, Byrd, I love this quote you have at the end of your posts: "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics
    I'm so reassured that Darlin' Dan doesn't have this problem.
    I don't consider it retreads. By that definition any popular supporting character would be a retread. Again the problem with Nightwing is every writer wants to make their mark in providing a supporting cast, but then the cast gets jettisoned. This is where editorial needs to step in and state characters X, Y, and Z are part of Nightwing's supporting cast and must be used in addition to any original characters you want to make when a new writer is brought on so that there is finally some sort of consistency.

I would love to see Bridget Clancy as a medical resident in Bludhaven who ends up becoming Dick's Leslie Tompkins and stitches him back together, with the added URST going on. Also have Amy Rohrbach brought in as a counterpoint to Detective Svobada and have Dick having to deal with Amy who is a straight arrow, but who feels uncomfortable working with a vigilante and Svobada who is a little shady, but has no problem working with Dick when it suits her purposes.

I'd love to see the Run-offs come back with the various members serving as informants for Dick and occasionally suiting up and helping. I would very much see the Skullgirls settled into Bludhaven as sort of rapid response team. So much potential that is wasted.
    What I Read: Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League, Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl, , The Flash, Action Comics, Superman, and Suicide Squad

What I Miss: Justice League and Justice League Unlimited TV Series, Wolverine and the X-Men TV Series and the Marvel Comics that got me into reading comics to begin with.

"I can't wait until the 'Ric' plot line ends!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    As for supporting cast, I feel like Huntress/Barbara/The Robins have always been Dick’s most consistent supporting cast members.
    The thing is these characters aren't supporting cast for Dick (except Huntress in Grayson). They are guest stars in Nightwing comics.

In any case, these characters would be considered supporting cast for Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by wvchemteach View Post
    I don't consider it retreads. By that definition any popular supporting character would be a retread. Again the problem with Nightwing is every writer wants to make their mark in providing a supporting cast, but then the cast gets jettisoned. This is where editorial needs to step in and state characters X, Y, and Z are part of Nightwing's supporting cast and must be used in addition to any original characters you want to make when a new writer is brought on so that there is finally some sort of consistency.

I would love to see Bridget Clancy as a medical resident in Bludhaven who ends up becoming Dick's Leslie Tompkins and stitches him back together, with the added URST going on. Also have Amy Rohrbach brought in as a counterpoint to Detective Svobada and have Dick having to deal with Amy who is a straight arrow, but who feels uncomfortable working with a vigilante and Svobada who is a little shady, but has no problem working with Dick when it suits her purposes.

I'd love to see the Run-offs come back with the various members serving as informants for Dick and occasionally suiting up and helping. I would very much see the Skullgirls settled into Bludhaven as sort of rapid response team. So much potential that is wasted.
    Exactly, there are so many skeletons of solid supporting casts that are filled with story potential that are just laying around. Editors feel more like wannabe writers that takeover and disrupt stories for whatever reason. (higher ups, personal bias, etc) Editors need to be the unseen shepherd that helps characters grow.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Exactly, there are so many skeletons of solid supporting casts that are filled with story potential that are just laying around. Editors feel more like wannabe writers that takeover and disrupt stories for whatever reason. (higher ups, personal bias, etc) Editors need to be the unseen shepherd that helps characters grow.
    Also I think that some of the better villains need to be dusted off and given more life. Lady Vic, Double Dare, Hella, Sylph, Brutale, Shrike, a nonrapist Tarantula and a few others could really work.
    What I Read: Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League, Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl, , The Flash, Action Comics, Superman, and Suicide Squad

What I Miss: Justice League and Justice League Unlimited TV Series, Wolverine and the X-Men TV Series and the Marvel Comics that got me into reading comics to begin with.

"I can't wait until the 'Ric' plot line ends!"

Also I think that some of the better villains need to be dusted off and given more life. Lady Vic, Double Dare, Hella, Sylph, Brutale, Shrike, a nonrapist Tarantula and a few others could really work.
    Lady Vic got axed in Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Lady Vic got axed in Teen Titans.
    Who cares? Just ignore it. Every wants looser continuity from what I keep hearing in the forums so why does that matter? Just bring her back and make her a prominent Nightwing villain.

BANNED

Please--not Tarantula. The thought of her makes me queasy. Dick deserves better.

I kind of feel supporting casts are overrated. It is just a bunch of time wasted trying to make characters that aren't really that interesting feel like they matter. Outside of Batman, Superman and Spider-man does any character have a supporting cast that anyone really cares about? When was the last time anyone really cared about Wolverine's supporting cast? Or Wonder Woman's? Like the ones people care about are characters that have been grandfathered in because they were around for decades when there was nothing really there to compare it to. So trying to give Nightwing a supporting cast where you are trying to copy a formula that these other characters had grandfathered in over decades ago doesn't really work I think. No one is going to care about some random cop characters, a bunch of civilians that are kind of useless, random D list villains, or a love interest that exist for a generic romantic plot. There is nothing that interesting about them when there are so many more comics and stories out in the market now.

Nightwing has loads of characters to use for supporting role in his stories where you don't have to start from scratch or use the bottom of the barrel level characters each time. You have all the Batman characters from Batgirl, Damian, Tim, Jason, Huntress, Spoiler, and so on. You have all the Titans or Superman characters to use in stories as well. Even other DCU characters that would make for an interesting story. You can use new characters as well, but I don't think you should try to build everything around them. I feel like the Grayson series got it right in that it was a very good mix. You had established characters like Helena, Midnighter, or Kathy there to give the story weight and new characters like Mister Minos or Tiger, but the story wasn't built just around these new characters where it was all on them.

But I also understand that creators now are incentivized to create new characters in their stories, and that is one of the reasons why there is such a big cycle of new characters introduced and forgotten about when a new creator comes in and wants to introduce their own new ones.

BANNED

I would probably suggest a moratorium on creator-owned characters--especially non-costumed ones. "Grayson" did it right. Otherwise, you introduce Shawn--and she's nothing but a Damsel in Distress. Dick needs something like a Power Girl, who can take care of herself. I'd like to see Tiger King more--in fact, he needs his own title.