Page 48 of 295 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I liked the tarantula development. Didn't understand why dick was attracted to this loud and violent woman, but it had potential. I hated that it was sweeped under the rug.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    I liked the tarantula development. Didn't understand why dick was attracted to this loud and violent woman, but it had potential. I hated that it was sweeped under the rug.
    Yeah, I'm with you, actually. I think she had real potential as a rouge, but she is also so central to the toxicity towards the Devin Grayson run that I think she might be unsalvageable.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Jericho and Ravager, or Jericho/Ravager?
    Jericho and Rose. Considering that Slade will be main villain for 2nd season I guess we will see his kids enough to make them form some kind of relationship with Titans.

Actually, despite my dislike for Deathstoke, I like that they using him as Titans villain instead of trying to pass him as Bats villian in DCEU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you, actually. I think she had real potential as a rouge, but she is also so central to the toxicity towards the Devin Grayson run that I think she might be unsalvageable.
    She had potential as a ruthless vigilante. A way to challenge Dick in a way he just isn't challenged.

Morally and ethically. Turn his charm and his treatment of pretty women against him. Thematically consistent with dick being a player of sorts.

But no, if there's a character that's more stagnant than Batman is it's Nightwing.

She had potential as a ruthless vigilante. A way to challenge Dick in a way he just isn't challenged.

Morally and ethically. Turn his charm and his treatment of pretty women against him. Thematically consistent with dick being a player of sorts.

But no, if there's a character that's more stagnant than Batman is it's Nightwing.
    Yeah, the potential is there for sure. She could be a unique take on what Catwoman is to Batman.

But imagine you're the writer for Nightwing. Is bringing back Tarantula, maybe the most hated character and the icon of the maybe the most hated run in the books history, a risk you want to take? Are you going to risk the backlash from the fans? I'm not sure I would want to be the guy that did that.

That is what they did with Tarantula though. That’s the story they told with her. She challenged Dick morally and ethically, and played on his weakness and guilt. Which ultimately came to a conclusion with repercussions that sent him on a seemingly never ending character journey to find himself. Which took too damn long, wasn’t interesting (Dick Grayson the crippled mobster is almost right there with Ric the filthy hobo), and never actually went anywhere cause they ultimately just blew it all up, literally. I mean Nightwing can indeed be stagnant, but not because they didn’t try and tell that story again.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-06-2019 at 12:02 PM.

I fail to see how Tarantula supposed to challenge Nightwing more than any his morally ambiguous team ups with anti-heroes and villains or attempts to redeem criminals. And I especially fail to see how her “challenging him” suppose to cure Nightwing from his so-called stagnant stage.

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    I fail to see how Tarantula supposed to challenge Nightwing more than any his morally ambiguous team ups with anti-heroes and villains or attempts to redeem criminals. And I especially fail to see how her “challenging him” suppose to cure Nightwing from his so-called stagnant stage.
    I'd say that she could challenge him in a unique way, but that should be able to be said of ALL his rogues. She is unique, but not more unique than the rest or anything.

She did challenge his morals. More then few other ever have, she ignited huge character turmoil that seemed like it would never end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    Could have started a phase where he was afraid of getting close with women. Could have helped the character mature, revise his fear of commitment.

Could have provoked a fallout with Bruce, to brought them together to work it out. And then a bit of closure.

The biggest problem with the story is that it didn't go anywhere.

I feel like you didn’t actually read Grayson’s run.

BANNED

Rape is abhorrent. It's not a plot device. No character is so "stagnant" that she/he needs to be raped to get "freshened" up. It shouldn't be so casually bandied about anyway--particularly in a "funnybook" with an underaged audience. Dick Grayson is not a player; he doesn't use his charm/good looks to entice random women; he's a good person. He didn't deserve Tarantua. That run of books was SICKENING and anyone who wrote such a thing should be consigned to the professional dustbin--and her editor along with her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Rape is abhorrent.
    So is murder, and betrayal and around a 100 bad things.
    What i will grant you is that nightwing is no place to try to explore these themes.

No character is so "stagnant" that she/he needs to be raped to get "freshened" up.
    You guys always see this from a PR standpoint. Probably because thats literally all you care about, that the book sells so the character grows in popularity. I see it from storytelling standpoint.

Dick Grayson is not a player; he doesn't use his charm/good looks to entice random women
    Yes he does, he has.
    He has never done it with bad intentions, but he has used his looks to get what he wants.

He didn't deserve Tarantula.
    Yeal, well. Bruce didnt deserve his parents getting shot.

That run of books was SICKENING and anyone who wrote such a thing should be consigned to the professional dustbin--and her editor along with her.
    I didnt like the run, but it would have been much better if the set up paid off.
    Sides, its not like he turned into paralax, destroyed a whole continuity or hit his wife.

I’m quite confused here. The repercussions of Tarantula resulted in a phase of self imposed exile and provoked a fallout with Babs. One of his most important relationships at that time. Your claims of what they could have done with Tarantula is more or less what they did, and it lead to pretty much what you claim it could have lead to.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-06-2019 at 04:56 PM.