Page 5 of 295 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Using the fee trial to watch the episodes. My full thoughts were in the Young Justice thread but I'll just repost them over here. There are very slight spoilers but they were mentioned in the promotional material so I wont use the tag. Go watch it now instead of reading this post. TODAY'S THE DAY!!!

I'm 1 and a half episodes in, my fear about the animation quality dropping turned out to be true. It's a minor gripe but something that is always there but the kickass voice acting team holds up those short comings. The animation also has that lame blood effect and showing bodies that the recent animated movies always do. That felt really out of place. The kinda Wally tribute at the end of episode 1 got me in the feels. Damn you DC.

Loved the check-in with Roy (I mean Will) and seeing Lian grow a bit makes me feel good. Seeing Garth and Donna in Ep. 2 only for a brief scene made me so damn happy, her costume is very uninspired but I love that she's a diplomat like Diana was. I love the fact that Garth has his purple eyes which a lot of artist forget to add. Young Justice is doing what they always do, take the overall history/legacy (the good and the bad) of the DCU and blend it together with original ideas for a new and familiar product that improves on those original mistakes. So far this season has that classic mix of Batman leaving for the Outsiders mixed Rebirth ideas like Grayson and certain design choices. Brion is probably my favorite of the new characters so far will jump back in after I finish the rest.

DC really upped the tone unsubtly this season, I get that they are no longer restricted by Cartoon Network on that front but the amount of blood and upfront killing feels off. When I think of killing in DC animated stuff I think of more clever ways around it like BTAS Robin's Reckoning with the shadows of Dick's parents then the broken rope swings in with the crowd's shocked reaction. That has stuck with me more than some other bloody upfront killing.

I like Black Lightning dealing with that grief and that death felt well done. Watch Failsafe from season 1 and you'll get what I mean. The whole team dies along with the League. The tension and grief is there but the deaths aren't so in your face about it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Since I'm finally looking at the DCU app and everything I decided to look at their history of Dick.

In his character wiki thing on there, they have no covers showcasing him and the Titans. Not even the NTT but they have Winnick's Outsiders on display. But the overall discriptions for different eras were alright, the Rebirth one made me laugh because of the lack of detail.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 12.00.45 PM.jpg

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Dick with an undercut, y/n?
    As long as its long on top, sure.

Maybe its because I discovered Nightwing during the ponytail era of the early 90's but in my mind, Nightwing's hair should always be on the longer side. Not as long as that ponytail was, but shoulder length or so.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Since I'm finally looking at the DCU app and everything I decided to look at their history of Dick.

In his character wiki thing on there, they have no covers showcasing him and the Titans. Not even the NTT but they have Winnick's Outsiders on display. But the overall discriptions for different eras were alright, the Rebirth one made me laugh because of the lack of detail.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 12.00.45 PM.jpg
    Darlin' Dan wrote that. It took him two weeks to come up with that many words about Nightwing that were printable.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'll chime in and say that perhaps because I discovered Nightwing with the Dixon run and later read both backwards and forwards, I always think of him with a longer mane as well. Visually it helps make him look a little more distinct from all the other dark-haired, blue-eyed white guys in the Bat family... Which until Duke was pretty much all of the ones in tights.

That said, he also has a very distinct haircut in his early days as Robin too. Dick's all about his hair, I guess!

I'll also say the DCU app pages for specific characters aren't particularly descriptive, more of a way to give newer fans a quick idea about a character rather than anything comprehensive. The Power Girl entry makes some note about Tanya, but it's 95% about Kara despite being a catch-all for both PGs. That said, they update often and I've not looked in a minute, so maybe there's more going on there!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

So after Hush, my next read was a couple of Infinite Crisis issues. It was very heavily marketed and then I found them in the bargain bin so I grabbed it. I already know the gist of the plot from a Wizard magazine that discussed the return of the Crisis of Infinite Earth heroes.

The first issue saw the Titans on earth. Donna's going away and Nightwing hoped what she did was important as the sky above him was filled with OMAC.

...but the stand out scene was when Batman managed to get in Brother's Eye using the other heroes as a distraction, and when he's trying to end his creation, it broadcast Nightwing's face all over the wall to distract him, as at that moment his favorite was leading the other set of heroes to rescue Power Girl and the others and is in danger of possibly getting killed by Superboy Prime.

Not much this reading added, except the declaration that Nightwing is Batman's favorite. That was new. I knew from Hush he tolerated a lot from Nightwing, but that's it.

In hindsight though, that was the first time I saw Nightwing used as a Batman bait.

I mean... Robin has a history being a hostage and Batman bait, but not the adult version.

Nightwing hair for me should always be a bit on the shaggy side, but not as long as the mullet.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

A mullet is way too long, I agree.

I've recently begun rereading Dixon's run again and I forgot just how much I love this cover to one of the older trades. Easily one of the most striking visuals of Nightwing I can think of and one I'd gladly frame if I could find a textless poster of it.

Nightwing_A_Knight_in_Bludhaven.jpg

The way Dixon and McDaniel get him out of that silly ponytail he had at the time was magnificent.

Spyral tech made an appearance!

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Nightwing hair for me should always be a bit on the shaggy side, but not as long as the mullet.
    Shaggy/short is always the way to go.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Spyral tech made an appearance!
    Young Justice is best thing DC made this decade. It's this generation's JLU. It's great to see kids grow up with Dick Grayson.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    So after Hush, my next read was a couple of Infinite Crisis issues. It was very heavily marketed and then I found them in the bargain bin so I grabbed it. I already know the gist of the plot from a Wizard magazine that discussed the return of the Crisis of Infinite Earth heroes.

The first issue saw the Titans on earth. Donna's going away and Nightwing hoped what she did was important as the sky above him was filled with OMAC.

...but the stand out scene was when Batman managed to get in Brother's Eye using the other heroes as a distraction, and when he's trying to end his creation, it broadcast Nightwing's face all over the wall to distract him, as at that moment his favorite was leading the other set of heroes to rescue Power Girl and the others and is in danger of possibly getting killed by Superboy Prime.

Not much this reading added, except the declaration that Nightwing is Batman's favorite. That was new. I knew from Hush he tolerated a lot from Nightwing, but that's it.

In hindsight though, that was the first time I saw Nightwing used as a Batman bait.

I mean... Robin has a history being a hostage and Batman bait, but not the adult version.
    Dick is Bruce's favorite son. Bruce will actually cross the line and use a gun if someone kills Dick. Some people hate it but it has been shown time and time again.

Dick was also supposed to die in Infinite Crisis, which is why he was a bait. But DC employees were outraged on this decision, so Geoff Johns offered Superboy instead. This started the ongoing long feud of Dick Grayson and Dan DiDio. Dick is eternally loved in both the comic world and real world.

Dick is also the heart of the DCU. When the pre-Crisis Superman saw the post-Crisis world. Everything was worse except Dick Grayson. Dick Grayson at his core is a good person and therefore a great hero.

Mighty Member

Dick is truly my favorite hero and one of the greatest characters made. His development and continuous evolution are not match by any comic character. Whether he is Robin, Nightwing, Batman, etc., he owns it and stands out. Not only that but Dick Grayson is a versatile character that can be used in almost everything. Teen Titans Go movie, Titans tv and Young Justice animated. All loved by critics and audience alike. Dick Grayson will continue to fly to greater heights.

Also, he is hot as hell. As in damn, how can a fictional character be so hot?!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Dick is Bruce's favorite son. Bruce will actually cross the line and use a gun if someone kills Dick. Some people hate it but it has been shown time and time again.

Dick was also supposed to die in Infinite Crisis, which is why he was a bait. But DC employees were outraged on this decision, so Geoff Johns offered Superboy instead. This started the ongoing long feud of Dick Grayson and Dan DiDio. Dick is eternally loved in both the comic world and real world.

Dick is also the heart of the DCU. When the pre-Crisis Superman saw the post-Crisis world. Everything was worse except Dick Grayson. Dick Grayson at his core is a good person and therefore a great hero.
    Yeah. The story about Didio wanting to kill Dick in Infinite Crisis was legendary, and I saw the page where old Clark was talking to Bruce while looking for pics.

After that I only read Wizard magazines my friend owned for info. Damian came along, and then Batman died and there was the next generation of Dynamic Duo. I already talked about this in Damian forum so I'm not gonna repeat it here. Seeing that development really tempted me to jump in reading, but I also heard about Morrison's lengthy saga, so I decided to track down the reading order first.

Then, right as I was making a Post Crisis timeline, The New 52 happened. So I decided to jump in then.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I've recently begun rereading Dixon's run again and I forgot just how much I love this cover to one of the older trades. Easily one of the most striking visuals of Nightwing I can think of and one I'd gladly frame if I could find a textless poster of it.
    Oh yeah, McDaniel was the first artist I saw who really made me think "Yeah, this guy is an acrobat!" He really pulled out some great visuals and made Nightwing's movement and fighting style stand out from the rest of the Bat-pack. Looking back, a lot of the ways McDaniel handled Nightwing's fight scenes reminds me of how Kirby would handle Captain America. For my money, McDaniel is one of the definitive Nightwing artists.

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that!

There was also a scene with Superman post-Rebirth where Clark, still living as a multiversal refugee, finds Nightwing and talks about how, no matter the world, Dick Grayson is still Dick Grayson and his seal of approval means a lot to Clark.

When Superman values your opinion so much that he's still impressed by "alternate" versions of you, and alternate versions of Clark do the same, you must be doing something right.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.