Page 53 of 295 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    What a waste of good casting and costume design on such a terrible show.
    I know its not a high bar, but Titans is DC's best live action show by mile. And IMO it may be better than every entry of the DCEU.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Hopefully season 2 will be less dreary and show actual character growth rather than focus on the same problem every other episode.

For me it is as simple as this: Rape is a very sensitive issue and it should not be used for cheap shock value where the primary concern for the writer is to break a character to pieces, nothing more. A writer who is incapable of handling it with the care and respect and seriousness it deserves has no business touching on the subject and Devin Grayson most certainly didn't have what it takes to do so.

And she made things only worse by Dick almost marrying his rapist and then the whole rape issue being dropped with no real repercussions or anything. Tarantula was jailed for Blockbuster. Dick pretty much ignored the fact he was raped and it got swept under the rug, like it never ever happened. And then there were her interviews where (if memory serves), she first tried to deny what happened was rape, and then tried to make it sound like Dick was a horrid boyfriend who kind of was cheating on Babs with the Tarantula thing and in a way had it coming for associationg with such a bad girl in the first place and not being careful enough around her... Something to that affect.... If you are going to have the character entrusted to you to write, raped, at least have the backbone and decency to admit to it and properly stand by your decision and explain it. So that we can assume you gave it some thought beyond "hmmm. what other horrid thing can I do to this character? Oh, I know. Rape!" And I don't for a second believe Devin Grayson had at any point had any intention to revisit the issue and handle it for real. She had it in there as just another means to break Dick and to be shocking, and she didn't expect the backlash which is why she first tried to deny it, and then was trying to act like she would have dealt with it all if she had more time blah blah...

I remember she was considered a decent writer when writing Gotham Knights... I have to assume she was being heavily edited and kept in check while writing that and then was simply allowed to run wild with Nightwing where editorial didn't really care much about what she was doing. Left on her own devices she is not good and does turn into a second-rate fanfic writer... She used to boast about submitting her stories late to escape editorial intervention, -except for the times she wanted to blame editorial intervention for her failings, that is-... I see that as another sign of editorial not really bothering with checking her work when she was on Nightwing. Because, yeah, they don't care about Nightwing...)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I know its not a high bar, but Titans is DC's best live action show by mile. And IMO it may be better than every entry of the DCEU.
    I'd rather watch all the CW shows on repeat for the next thousand years than rewatch Titans again. At least those shows have actual plot to them, yeah they are generally dumb and uninspired but the flow makes sense. Titans makes no sense thematically, in the editing, in the writing. It boggles my mind that it was as bad as it was.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I liked Titans and am hopeful for its second season... Season One had pacing issues, that is for sure. If they can fix that for season 2, it will do much better... All of S1 seemed to be about introducing the team who were all in one way or another at a loss about who they are and what they are themselves... S2 needs to show the team working together & -I think each character needs to have a better understanding and acceptance of who they are (obviously they wont have all the answers to that yet, but definitely need to see some growth).

I liked Titans and had a great time watching it.
    I'm not a great fan of the cliffhanger ending though.

But can't wait for season 2.

Titans is good, much better than the lowpoints of the Arrowverse.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiac View Post
    For me it is as simple as this: Rape is a very sensitive issue and it should not be used for cheap shock value where the primary concern for the writer is to break a character to pieces, nothing more. A writer who is incapable of handling it with the care and respect and seriousness it deserves has no business touching on the subject and Devin Grayson most certainly didn't have what it takes to do so.

And she made things only worse by Dick almost marrying his rapist and then the whole rape issue being dropped with no real repercussions or anything. Tarantula was jailed for Blockbuster. Dick pretty much ignored the fact he was raped and it got swept under the rug, like it never ever happened. And then there were her interviews where (if memory serves), she first tried to deny what happened was rape, and then tried to make it sound like Dick was a horrid boyfriend who kind of was cheating on Babs with the Tarantula thing and in a way had it coming for associationg with such a bad girl in the first place and not being careful enough around her... Something to that affect.... If you are going to have the character entrusted to you to write, raped, at least have the backbone and decency to admit to it and properly stand by your decision and explain it. So that we can assume you gave it some thought beyond "hmmm. what other horrid thing can I do to this character? Oh, I know. Rape!" And I don't for a second believe Devin Grayson had at any point had any intention to revisit the issue and handle it for real. She had it in there as just another means to break Dick and to be shocking, and she didn't expect the backlash which is why she first tried to deny it, and then was trying to act like she would have dealt with it all if she had more time blah blah...

I remember she was considered a decent writer when writing Gotham Knights... I have to assume she was being heavily edited and kept in check while writing that and then was simply allowed to run wild with Nightwing where editorial didn't really care much about what she was doing. Left on her own devices she is not good and does turn into a second-rate fanfic writer... She used to boast about submitting her stories late to escape editorial intervention, -except for the times she wanted to blame editorial intervention for her failings, that is-... I see that as another sign of editorial not really bothering with checking her work when she was on Nightwing. Because, yeah, they don't care about Nightwing...)
    Íts worth noting that Graysons run is around the same time Didio was in office. I believe that he had been letting bad writers to screw Dick up so it’s easier to kill him before he did the same thing to titans in rebirth now.

Well, I don’t know about that. Devin Grayson was coming off a decent run on Titans. She did seem like a good fit. The initial start of her run wasn’t even bad, it wasn’t till she had him get raped that it really went of the rails and just got lost in misery. And it didn’t help that she had to try and navigate between ties ins and Nightwing Year One to try and get her story back on track. So her whole character journey got drawn out way too long, and ultimately was left incomplete with no pay off. That being said trying to do a Nightwing version of Born Again was probably not the best idea to begin with.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-08-2019 at 07:52 PM.

I see nothing terrible in Titans. I actually really enjoyed it and their version of Dick Grayson despite all the changes. And for everything that show did wrong, it also did a lot of things right.
    The only big issue for me is the fact that they’re trying to introduce everyone though Titans, but hopefully for second season they will finally solely focus on Titans, not the side teams like Doom Patrol and give us more interesting Titans than Hank and Dawn.

Mighty Member

Titans was my last year's highlight. It's second only to Daredevil for me. I remember waiting for the episodes to come out every Friday. It was not perfect but it's a very good 1st season. I'm optimistic about this tv series.

Titans had some of the worst editing I have seen since Taken 3.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

All-New Member

I really loved Titans. And I started it with zero expectations. Apart from the final I had no problem with it.

I miss Dick Acrobat Grayson. Get your **** together Ric

https://twitter.com/lolololeel