Page 8 of 295 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Look at all those wasted supporting casts

SEP110135_2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

This is my favorite New 52 Nightwing cover because it's his supporting cast, his family, his setting. They're supposed to stick around, dangit.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Look at all those wasted supporting casts

SEP110135_2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

This is my favorite New 52 Nightwing cover because it's his supporting cast, his family, his setting. They're supposed to stick around, dangit.
    This was a great story with awesome art by Eddy Barrows. It's too bad the rest of the series didn't continue this way.

This was when I first started collecting Nightwing on my own. I was buying it on a regular basis, even through Grayson, but just dropped it a couple of months ago because it just got so bad.

Oh well. I lasted about 7 years straight at least.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    No, there was implication that he might have had her which I wasn't a big fan of. That passionate kiss panel. We discussed it when it came out if it was a set up for a possible who is Dick's real father story line.
    Sure they kissed but I personally interpreted it as that being all Raptor ever got, he never really had her. Mary loved Raptor but not in the way she loved John. That storyline is still available and it's something I would like to see but they won't make him Dick's father.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    This was a great story with awesome art by Eddy Barrows. It's too bad the rest of the series didn't continue this way.

This was when I first started collecting Nightwing on my own. I was buying it on a regular basis, even through Grayson, but just dropped it a couple of months ago because it just got so bad.

Oh well. I lasted about 7 years straight at least.
    I just sold off all my New 52 books, Nightwing included. Only kept issue 29 of Nightwing.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I just sold off all my New 52 books, Nightwing included. Only kept issue 29 of Nightwing.
    Because new 52 was so terrible?

29. That was a great issue. A great closing and summation of Dick by Higgins.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Because new 52 was so terrible?

29. That was a great issue. A great closing and summation of Dick by Higgins.
    Oh yeah, I was just tired of seeing those books on my shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Oh yeah, I was just tired of seeing those books on my shelf.
    Haha!!! That' great. I don't blame you.

Brett Booth, even though his art is very so-so I love his enthusiasm when it comes to comics.

I love Booth. He's not always the most technically accurate artist around; that image with Spidey has several problems like the size of Dick's legs and calves. And Booth isn't great at putting atmosphere and tone into his work, largely it seems because he doesn't employ much shadows or negative space. But he's got a good eye for layouts, he's better than many comic artists at facial expressions (he can do surprised, angry, and happy while most can just do angry) and his costume design, though always busy, is consistent across parts and layers and is always detailed. And it usually stays pretty close to the spirit of the character, unless he's actively going for something different on purpose (most of the time).

And more than anything, he's capable of injecting a sense of kinetic energy into his work that can only be rivaled by a few; Rocafort, McDaniel, Ramos.......damn few can make a image move like Booth can. And I think people who dont draw often don't realize how hard that really is. I'd happily take Booth as a Nightwing artist over a lot of others out there. He might not be my first pick but he'd be on the short list.

But I'm likely biased as well. Back when I did commercial art my style was very close to the Top Cow/90's Image house style and I took a lot of inspiration from Michael Turner and Jim Lee. And Booth clearly takes a page or two from those guys as well. I mean, that Spidey might as well have been drawn by McFarlene (or however his name gets spelled).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah his run on Nightwing was perfect. Eddie Barrows, by contrast, was a better artist in some ways, but never made Nightwing feel like he was moving like Booth did. Plus, one of Booth's biggest problems was sameface (which would be an awesome name for a villain... dibs!), which is more pronounced on a team book like Titans or Teen Titans, but less of a problem in a solo series.

On the subject artists I'd really love to see on Nightwing, I've had Trevor McCarthy on the top of my list for a while. He captures movement well and I just enjoy his style. His work on Gates was great, and his issue of n52 nightwing was fantastic as well. He had a short run back in the Dixon days, but I think his style matured quite a bit after that. It could also be that he just got a better inker and colorist though. Rocafort would also be super high on my list. His books are just always so damn pretty.

And back to The Untouchable, the differing views might have a lot to do with context. I read it while Ric is being published. I'm just glad to read Dick being Nightwing... hell, being Dick (even if he has the stupidest day job ever). Most of y'all read it as it was being published, which means it was hot on the heels of Seeley's run. Seeley wasn't perfect, but he was pretty damn good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I love Booth. He's not always the most technically accurate artist around; that image with Spidey has several problems like the size of Dick's legs and calves. And Booth isn't great at putting atmosphere and tone into his work, largely it seems because he doesn't employ much shadows or negative space. But he's got a good eye for layouts, he's better than many comic artists at facial expressions (he can do surprised, angry, and happy while most can just do angry) and his costume design, though always busy, is consistent across parts and layers and is always detailed. And it usually stays pretty close to the spirit of the character, unless he's actively going for something different on purpose (most of the time).

And more than anything, he's capable of injecting a sense of kinetic energy into his work that can only be rivaled by a few; Rocafort, McDaniel, Ramos.......damn few can make a image move like Booth can. And I think people who dont draw often don't realize how hard that really is. I'd happily take Booth as a Nightwing artist over a lot of others out there. He might not be my first pick but he'd be on the short list.

But I'm likely biased as well. Back when I did commercial art my style was very close to the Top Cow/90's Image house style and I took a lot of inspiration from Michael Turner and Jim Lee. And Booth clearly takes a page or two from those guys as well. I mean, that Spidey might as well have been drawn by McFarlene (or however his name gets spelled).
    I think Booth is wonderful--particularly from the kinetic aspect you describe. Rocafort art would be beautiful.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

DIG010112_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I like the red on black. It's the sky I don't like. Red on red. Too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    DIG010112_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I like the red on black. It's the sky I don't like. Red on red. Too hot.
    The New 52 as a whole was filled with too much red. From costumes to the skies to environments. It felt like everything was red all the time.

I like red on black but not for Nightwing. Plus that outfit looked too armored and the chest symbol too big, not a fan of the arm spikes either. Too batman like.

I hate the red. Not the color itself, but when you have Robin, Red Hood, and Red Robin Nightwing really doesn’t need to be colored in red too.

Also i wasn’t fan of Barrows in general. Didn’t think he was right for Nightwing, and he could barely do a full issue.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-07-2019 at 10:19 PM.