Page 89 of 295 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 4424

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    What am I missing here?
    A reference to Devin Grayson's Tarantula?

Edit: Probably an strech but is the only thing that it comes to mind.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    How so? I didn't see anything wrong with it, just a little snippet.
    I don't think rape jokes are ever funny or ever called for.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    A reference to Devin Grayson's Tarantula?

Edit: Probably an strech but is the only thing that it comes to mind.
    Oh, I get it now. But wasn't the Wonder Twins' last outings before Catalina came around? Dick should have killed HER with a spatula like the worthless insect she was.

I don’t think that was a reference to Grayson’s tarantula.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I don't think rape jokes are ever funny or ever called for.
    I didn't see a rape joke; it was just a partial page with some Wonder Twins stuff on it.

Yeah, come to think of it, I'd be surprised if that was on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I don’t think that was a reference to Grayson’s tarantula.
    To me it's implying that nightwing does like tarantula's because he had a bad experience with one.

Dick was being afraid of the spider because it was a tarantula. Not just because it was a spider. So it was an obvious reference to Dick being raped by Tarantula. Not sure how you can read it any other way. Specifically using Nightwing and using a tarantula doesn't feel like a coincidence.

If the genders were reversed this joke would be getting slammed a lot more than it is probably.

Nightwing lived with Beast Boy because they were members of the Titans. He was probably scared of a tarantula because it was a tarantula. Those spiders specifically would freak anyone out. I read that issue a week ago and the connection never entered my mind.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I didnt notice at first either.

I think it's clearly a reference; otherwise the writer would have just had Gar say "spider" instead of the more specific "tarantula." Sure that's the spider that everyone hates/fears the most, because they're soulless, horrible, large hairy nightmares from the depths of hel. But tarantulas have too much relevance in Dick's story for this to just be as simple as "people hate the big ones the most."

But it's a really minor easter egg and subtle enough I dont think it's cause for anyone to get offended. Dick doesn't like tarantulas now. He's got good reason for that. It's actually pretty good characterization without being blunt and says more about how Dick processed that whole thing, with more finesse, than any conversation anyone has written into the comics about it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    To me it's implying that nightwing does like tarantula's because he had a bad experience with one.
    Or tarantula’s are just gross as shit. My mom bought my brother one once, to this day we still don’t know why. It was a nightmare. Neither of us could sleep. Those things are disgusting.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-18-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Nightwing or any hero freaking out about a spider would be a bit silly. A tarantula on the other hand is a different matter. which is what i think that was all about no intention to reference Devin Graysons horrid writing i think dc in general prefers to pretend it never happened and forget about it and for all we know the writer may not even know about it or remember it themselves...

I am weirdly more bothered by the fact Dick thought of cruahing it with a spatula. Come.on, Dick, be creative. Dont ruin the cooking utensils!!!
    Last edited by Schumiac; 03-18-2019 at 01:39 PM.

It really seems like a stretch to think that it's a rape joke.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I don't think it was intended to be a rape joke, but just a dumb reference to that incident like an easter egg. A bizarre choice of one, but one still.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I don't think it was intended to be a rape joke, but just a dumb reference to that incident like an easter egg. A bizarre choice of one, but one still.
    I don't see it. Being scared by a spider is pretty normal, tarantulas are the go to for "scary" spiders since they are big and fuzzy. I can see the line of thinking that makes you think it's a reference but it takes a few leaps to get there.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics