Page 14 of 148 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    It's interesting because it'd true in a sense. Rachel appears and is taken into the X-Men. Because of her relationship to them (well her relationship to her world's version of them) she has difficulty confiding, holding back her emotions, and relating to people. As they are ghosts to her. Looking back at those issues, how many times did Rachel seem to cower or prove useless due to her trauma of her past especially when being asked to search for people telepathically? A lot. But she was traumatized and didn't let anyone in. She was seen as (and in some ways was) ineffective or unreliable until she became Phoenix. I mean I love the "No more lousy tears" line Rogue gave her, but it's how many of them saw her. Then shortly after that the Secret Wars happens and she makes a decision in regards to her teammates and the world about fighting the Beyonder. She gets talked down, but loses the trust of her team, and then being linked with Wolverine and him being hurt, she gets blamed even moreso. So by the time she's stabbed by Wolverine and bleeding out, do the X-Men decide "huh, maybe we shouldn't have been so hard on this 17 yo who has a lot of trauma". I mean the only relatable person for her was Magneto at that point given their similar histories. She's she's written out, was going to get a mini before Excalibur but it got canned. Out of sight out of mind until Excalibur. And eventually Claremont makes her bff's with Kitty and Kurt.

So to state that again, when she's out of sight - she's out of mind. This current predicament of hers - enslaved to Ahab again - it's not the first time that she has been enslaved while being on the X-Men (clearly). But it is now the SECOND time that she's been enslaved or removed from the picture due to trauma (enslavement) or injury and NO ONE GIVES A *&^%. It's literally history repeating itself. Watch, she's going to reappear in X-Force and people will be like, "Oh yeah, I forgot about her. So that's why she's not around..."
    Yeah the Logan stabbing her thing has always bugged me that he got a free pass on that. He has a damn adamantium skeleton, just hit her on the side of the head with his fist and she is out cold, he didn't need to gut her. He was saving Selene, an actual real mass murdering psychopath mutant vampire, and gutting Rachel to save Selene. What the heck. When I originally read the comic where she got written out it was actually really upsetting and no one looked for her or tried to locate her after.

I wish they had used her more as a secondary character on Cable after he rescued her. Heck I have wanted for ages that they pair Cable and Rachel on a comic together. Have him pull her into his timeline and she becomes his backup on all his missions going forward. It removes the parental complication for a while and lets the brother and sister pair shine as a partnership. I wouldn't even mind it if Cable and Rachel end up doing something together that pisses off the X-Men in order to save the timeline. Like showing up during a battle and outright killing one of the threats, this is something Cable has always done, but I wouldn't mind it if they had Cable decide to pull Rachel directly into his missions with him. She needs a new direction and Cable could use a supporting player in his ongoing appearances.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Yeah the Logan stabbing her thing has always bugged me that he got a free pass on that. He has a damn adamantium skeleton, just hit her on the side of the head with his fist and she is out cold, he didn't need to gut her. He was saving Selene, an actual real mass murdering psychopath mutant vampire, and gutting Rachel to save Selene. What the heck. When I originally read the comic where she got written out it was actually really upsetting and no one looked for her or tried to locate her after.

I wish they had used her more as a secondary character on Cable after he rescued her. Heck I have wanted for ages that they pair Cable and Rachel on a comic together. Have him pull her into his timeline and she becomes his backup on all his missions going forward. It removes the parental complication for a while and lets the brother and sister pair shine as a partnership. I wouldn't even mind it if Cable and Rachel end up doing something together that pisses off the X-Men in order to save the timeline. Like showing up during a battle and outright killing one of the threats, this is something Cable has always done, but I wouldn't mind it if they had Cable decide to pull Rachel directly into his missions with him. She needs a new direction and Cable could use a supporting player in his ongoing appearances.
    I get where Wolverine was coming from, but it was hypocritical of him for hundreds of reasons, never-mind eventually he did help kill Selene. In fact, I would love to see Rachel bring that up with him at some point.

As for Rachel and Cable, there was a plan in place for that to happen regularly with Weinberg at the helm of Cable, until he was yanked off the title and the direction of the book became more Rambo and political oriented. I really loved their interactions in that series and he actively remembered her sacrifice for him as an infant and child and would do anything to save her. It's also my favorite version of Rachel - extremely powerful and self-assured without the Phoenix. Everything went downhill from this point forward for her character.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Like I said it bugged me too. In the issue where Logan tells the X-Men what he had done the only ones that seemed upset were Kitty and Kurt. Especially Kitty. Perhaps a foreshadowing of Excalibur?

Claremont said in an interview that Logan was scared Rachel would go Dark Phoenix but he really doesn't say that. He talks more about the X-Men becoming murderers in general rather than a potential Phoenix threat.

Which is odd considering only a few issues later after the mutant massacre Ororo tells Logan to do what he wants with the Marauders. So it became personal to Logan I guess but in a way it was for Rachel and Selene. The HFC corrupted Jean and this is what Selene did to the innocent man that tried to help her.

If that was CC's intention then he did a rather bad job of it.

Logan has done that with other characters. He gives a pass to some people, but then someone like Rachel, no second chances. They did have them talk about this in Days of Future Present crossover. Shadow Franklin and Rachel went to Madripoor and ran into Logan there and he had the whole "great power, great responsibility" speech for them, where Logan emphasized to them both that because they are both such powerful mutants they need to be more careful how they use their powers and consider the consequences of their actions. This was mid story where Franklin was actually manipulating Rachel to just focus on being with him and not worry about anything else that was happening at the same time. I believe if I remember correctly that Franklin ended up releasing everyone's minds from the euphoria after his talk with Logan and Rachel and Franklin returned to New York to try and make sure that young Franklin was ok.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Logan has done that with other characters. He gives a pass to some people, but then someone like Rachel, no second chances. They did have them talk about this in Days of Future Present crossover. Shadow Franklin and Rachel went to Madripoor and ran into Logan there and he had the whole "great power, great responsibility" speech for them, where Logan emphasized to them both that because they are both such powerful mutants they need to be more careful how they use their powers and consider the consequences of their actions. This was mid story where Franklin was actually manipulating Rachel to just focus on being with him and not worry about anything else that was happening at the same time. I believe if I remember correctly that Franklin ended up releasing everyone's minds from the euphoria after his talk with Logan and Rachel and Franklin returned to New York to try and make sure that young Franklin was ok.
    I think there needs to be a panel where Rachel and Logan catch up and she's all, hey remember that time you gutted me to prevent me from killing Selene saying X-Men don't murder? I heard you later murdered Selene. I feel like an apology is owed...."

Nevermind.
    Last edited by TheCape; 02-14-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

This wasn't to trash Logan. I'm more scratching my head at Claremont. As good as he was at characterization and continuity - cohesion, I think even he wasn't above writing a character OOC or nonsensically to move a story forward.

I really hope Rachel is rescued soon in X-Force. Please Cable remember that your sister is really important to you. X-Force could use a powerful telepath anyway, technically Uncanny could use one as well, but I have a feeling if she is rescued and stays in the comics she is probably staying on X-Force for the time being. If they wrote Rachel and Cable consistently they would have an actual discussion about whether it was better for Rachel to stay on X-Force or go help their dad on Uncanny.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    This wasn't to trash Logan. I'm more scratching my head at Claremont. As good as he was at characterization and continuity - cohesion, I think even he wasn't above writing a character OOC or nonsensically to move a story forward.
    Wow, i didn't feel offended, i just missrrad the text and i answered something useless so i deleted it. Personally speaking i understand why Logan did what he did, he explained in the annual and the whole "morality" thing was him more trying to convince Rachel than anything, but i don't blame if her fans hate him for it.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Wow, i didn't feel offended, i just missrrad the text and i answered something useless so i deleted it. Personally speaking i understand why Logan did what he did, he explained in the annual and the whole "morality" thing was him more trying to convince Rachel than anything, but i don't blame if her fans hate him for it.
    It was so long ago and Rachel has worked with Logan so many times since then that it's hard to believe that they didn't have some conversation at some point and discussed it with each other. Heck she joined Logan at the Jean Grey School instead of staying with her Dad which I thought was strange. I know why Marvel does it though. Emma is a powerful telepath and Cyclops Utopia team also had the cuckoos so team Wolverine needed a power telepath so obviously that meant Rachel had to go to Logan's team as a stupid writing trope instead of with her own father which would have made a lot more sense. They didn't even explain Rachel's decision at all, she was just automatically going to the Jean Grey school, the only person who had a story truly choosing between Scott and Logan during schism was Rogue.

It was so long ago and Rachel has worked with Logan so many times since then that it's hard to believe that they didn't have some conversation at some point and discussed it with each other. Heck she joined Logan at the Jean Grey School instead of staying with her Dad which I thought was strange. I know why Marvel does it though. Emma is a powerful telepath and Cyclops Utopia team also had the cuckoos so team Wolverine needed a power telepath so obviously that meant Rachel had to go to Logan's team as a stupid writing trope instead of with her own father which would have made a lot more sense. They didn't even explain Rachel's decision at all, she was just automatically going to the Jean Grey school, the only person who had a story truly choosing between Scott and Logan during schism was Rogue.
    The annual was that conversation, is up to you if you buy CC explanation or not.
    I thougth that she joined to the JGS as a mole for Scott, but i migth be remembering wrong.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

The annual was that conversation, is up to you if you buy CC explanation or not.
    I thougth that she joined to the JGS as a mole for Scott, but i migth be remembering wrong.
    No she decided to help Scott keep Hope hidden from Wolverine's group and the Avengers. Rachel felt that everyone should give Hope a chance to be the Phoenix host because of course Rachel feels that her experience as host was actually really positive.

Actually I didn't see your post. I was in a hurry when I typed that. I said it because I like Wolverine.

No she decided to help Scott keep Hope hidden from Wolverine's group and the Avengers. Rachel felt that everyone should give Hope a chance to be the Phoenix host because of course Rachel feels that her experience as host was actually really positive.
    Plus she was aware Wolverine lied to Captain America about the Phoenix, and that pissed her off.

x-force 7 cover

X-FORCE #7
    ED BRISSON (W) • DYLAN BURNETT
    & DAMIAN COUCEIRO (A)
    Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
    • Stryfe comes face-to-face with Kid Cable!
    • But which side will X-Force stand with?
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

X-FORCE #8
    ED BRISSON (W)
    DYLAN BURNETT (A)
    Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
    • X-Force is trapped in the future!
    • But what kind of future is it?
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99