Page 42 of 148 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Believe me I'm very disappointed for the way Rachel gets treated and for the sloppy writing/editing of these books but I'm not that inclined in laying the blame on fictional characters, I just won't let my idea of the x-men be sullied by bad management, Remember when Rachel wanted to romance John Sublime, did it make any sense? it was just lame, it's just not part of the character and it was dropped never to be mentioned again .......Rachel needs her bond with her friends, now more than ever if she is going to survive as character, I don't want to see her marginalized for cheap drama most people won't care for anyway.
    Who is blaming the characters? Not me. They are just as you said, fictional characters. I hold the writers and editors to the fire. But this hatchet job the writers and editors are doing effect the integrity of the characters involved. Do I think that Jean or Kurt or Kitty would intentionally write-off Rachel? Absolutely not. But in a medium that requires artists and writers to move stories and characters forward you need to write them. And if you don't, the characters then come off cold or fake in their behavior. Again all writers and editors. I wholeheartedly agree with you that if she isn't allowed to bond with those closest to her she's not going to survive if she comes back at all. I don't think showing a panel as i mentioned above cheapens or marginalizes her, it shows care and concern.

There was no reason searching for Rachel couldn't have been mentioned other than the X-Office screwing up. It's the kind of thing you kind of have to show. Hopefully, it can be mentioned later. But readers shouldn't have to rely on anything other than the books to answer such an important question. If a major character is kidnapped, the others logically have to show some kind of real emotional response, lest it distorts audience perception of them or it breaks immersion and suspension of disbelief.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Who is blaming the characters? Not me. They are just as you said, fictional characters. I hold the writers and editors to the fire. But this hatchet job the writers and editors are doing effect the integrity of the characters involved. Do I think that Jean or Kurt or Kitty would intentionally write-off Rachel? Absolutely not. But in a medium that requires artists and writers to move stories and characters forward you need to write them. And if you don't, the characters then come off cold or fake in their behavior. Again all writers and editors. I wholeheartedly agree with you that if she isn't allowed to bond with those closest to her she's not going to survive if she comes back at all. I don't think showing a panel as i mentioned above cheapens or marginalizes her, it shows care and concern.
    agreed they just needed to devote at the very list a measly panel to it......and you are right, this is why most people don't care about comics or the characters anymore, everything gets ignored in order to promote the next big thing whit no rime, reason or consequence.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Incredible Member

A liitle french cover of Rachel from her first run with the X-Men.
    spstr54_10052002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    A liitle french cover of Rachel from her first run with the X-Men.
    spstr54_10052002.jpg
    Oh that is fascinating. I'm assuming it's supposed to be for Uncanny 199?

Incredible Member

Oh that is fascinating. I'm assuming it's supposed to be for Uncanny 199?
    Yes, It's exactly that. In spécial Strange, we had 2 episodes of X-Men every 2 months! And until his death in 1987 most of the covers were from a great french cover artist, Jean Frisano.
    I made a thread about his covers, you will find lots of great X-Men covers you've never seen! https://community.cbr.com/showthread...h-cover-artist

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    Yes, It's exactly that. In spécial Strange, we had 2 episodes of X-Men every 2 months! And until his death in 1987 most of the covers were from a great french cover artist, Jean Frisano.
    I made a thread about his covers, you will find lots of great X-Men covers you've never seen! https://community.cbr.com/showthread...h-cover-artist
    Oh that's really cool I never knew about that. So the same insides (albeit in French) with a singular cover by this artist. That's fun. Thanks for sharing!!

Incredible Member

Oh that's really cool I never knew about that. So the same insides (albeit in French) with a singular cover by this artist. That's fun. Thanks for sharing!!
    Thank you for watching them and liking them! It's the origin of my love for comics and X-Men in particular! Those covers mesmerized me as a child! It's painting, mainly gouache, sometimes with oil, really precursor of Alex Ross! A softer Alex Ross. Too bad he took his own life in 87! This dealt a blow to the french publications for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    agreed they just needed to devote at the very list a measly panel to it......and you are right, this is why most people don't care about comics or the characters anymore, everything gets ignored in order to promote the next big thing whit no rime, reason or consequence.
    100%. I feel like writers are encouraged to write as many arcs as possible with no downtime issues for characters to unwind or process what happened. If there is no breaking down of what happens to characters, things feel hollow later. Like for instance, I understand why Shatterstar might want to kill Ahab for turning him into a hound, but not because of what Brisson has (or pointedly hasn't) written, but because of Rachel's experience. We don't know what it was like for Shatterstar until he says he wants to kill Ahab, and his thirst for blood then feels slightly empty. It would be like Illyana dying of the Legacy Virus and not devoting an issue to it to let characters grieve but just moving on. The Exterminated could have been this, but instead it was to promote this weird angsty and emotional Hope we have never seen before.

The characters are not guilty of anything, everything is for the writers. But we can not ignore it either.

For example, we know that if the Avengers can not help the X-Men in mutant themes is because script reasons, but the result is that the feeling is that the Avengers do not care about the mutants.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I definitely see Rachel staying in the future to become Mother Askani
    So do I. 90s Nostalgia.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I really doubt Rachel is going to stay in the future.

Also i keep hearing people saying that everything is going back to the 90's but outside of jean and scott costumes and an event that only shares a superficial similarity with another event name there is not much of the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post

Also i keep hearing people saying that everything is going back to the 90's but outside of jean and scott costumes and an event that only shares a superficial similarity with another event name there is not much of the 90's.
    I hope you're right, I really want her to come back to the present. I desperately want a story where Rachel and Jean get to spend some time together beyond just a few panels.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post

LOL...the revival of X-Force, complete with the original lineup is a direct nod to the 90s. There's also the return of Kwannon,the MLF, and Magneto's heel turn with followers on Asteroid M
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-15-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    LOL...the revival of X-Force, complete with the original lineup is a direct nod to the 90s. There's also the return of Kwannon,the MLF, and Magneto's heel turn with followers on Asteroid M
    Plus Emma, Sabretooth and Mystique being cacklingly stupid evil.