Page 111 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 1912
  1. #1651
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Do you because thats exactly what Jean did when they first met. They've moved long past that though and Ive never said or insinuated that its the attitude that both should carry going forward


    Does Rachel desperately want Jean to be her mother? That seems to be something a select group of fans would like and its what Claremont wrote but it hasnt been the case in over a decade. Rachel's made peace and has matured quite a bit. I really dont think she is portrayed as someone that is still desperate for Jean
    That may have been the case when it was written, but that must have obviously been before Jean was established as a world class empath. I find it funny that a Jean fan would like a situation of Jean being a massive jerk to somebody for no particular reason.

    It hasn't been the case in a decade... because Rachel has been a mind control victim or a background character for the last 20 some odd years. When was the last time Rachel actually mattered in a story that didn't involve her being manipulated, mind-controlled, or immediately knocked out? So that's hardly a good defense.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  2. #1652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Do you because thats exactly what Jean did when they first met. They've moved long past that though and Ive never said or insinuated that its the attitude that both should carry going forward


    Does Rachel desperately want Jean to be her mother? That seems to be something a select group of fans would like and its what Claremont wrote but it hasnt been the case in over a decade. Rachel's made peace and has matured quite a bit. I really dont think she is portrayed as someone that is still desperate for Jean
    I disagree, I think Rachel still wants a full time relationship with Jean as her mother and Rachel as her daughter. But I get what you feel, that all this pressure is too much for Jean's mental health and she shouldn't have to deal with this unfair emotional pressure from Rachel anymore. I am sure the writers agree with you, Jean just isn't mentally strong enough to handle being a parent and she needs to be free of these kids who keep thinking she is there mother. Cable is Madelyne's child not Jean's. Rachel's parents are dead. Simple solution Jean should be free to never have to deal with this pressure anymore.

  3. #1653
    Mighty Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    I don't think Rachel has been entirely a background character since the end of Morrison. Sometimes yes, certainly, but not nonstop. She's had some decent runs here and there, but nothing that successfully redefined the character. I liked aspects of the Marvel Girl phase in Reload but many didn't. Gold is a mess. Her run under Brubaker in Uncanny was silly IMO. She was a recurring player in WATXM but I didn't mind her appearances. The fact is I think most writers since Excalibur don't know how to handle her. But unlike Hope she is not little more than an extraneous plot device. She's just very complicated and I think a lot of creators are intimidated by her crazy history and crypto-butch persona.

    To me the answer to Rachel is to lean into the weird, not to try to make her into some peppy ingenue. Which is kind of what Claremont did in Reload, but he also knew her very well and it was evidently a conscious choice on Ray's part to change her attitude and POV. If it was me, I'd see about getting her on an Avengers book or heavily used by Hickman. I think leaning her into her strange time travel or cosmic roots, and her harder personality, is what she has left.

    As for Jean, I don't buy them having a mother-daughter relationship. I never have. Jean should not be beholden to that and Rachel has evolved beyond expecting it. Friendly, yes, close, sure. Mom and child, not quite. With the young Nathan it's different, because Jean raised him. She should be careful calling herself his mother, though. She knows exactly who Nate's mother is.

  4. #1654
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    That may have been the case when it was written, but that must have obviously been before Jean was established as a world class empath. I find it funny that a Jean fan would like a situation of Jean being a massive jerk to somebody for no particular reason.

    It hasn't been the case in a decade... because Rachel has been a mind control victim or a background character for the last 20 some odd years. When was the last time Rachel actually mattered in a story that didn't involve her being manipulated, mind-controlled, or immediately knocked out? So that's hardly a good defense.
    Can you point to me actually writing that I liked how their first exchange was bc you are again putting words onto me that were not written. Ive seen you get sensitive about this so I'll just leave it alone bc I actually like you

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    As for Jean, I don't buy them having a mother-daughter relationship. I never have. Jean should not be beholden to that and Rachel has evolved beyond expecting it. Friendly, yes, close, sure. Mom and child, not quite. With the young Nathan it's different, because Jean raised him. She should be careful calling herself his mother, though. She knows exactly who Nate's mother is.
    Exactly. I have to say IA with your assessment. I actually like how they've been handled in the past year.
    Last edited by Havok83; 09-17-2019 at 05:17 PM.

  5. #1655
    Chris-chan of X-fans Maestroneto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    5,778

    Default

    Jean has referred to Nate Grey as her son, so I think it's fair for Rachel (fans) to be upset with the way Jean has treated her.

  6. #1656
    Mighty Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Jean has referred to Nate Grey as her son, so I think it's fair for Rachel (fans) to be upset with the way Jean has treated her.
    Nate Grey/X-Man? Kid Cable is one thing but as for Nate Grey, yeah, no.

  7. #1657
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Jean has referred to Nate Grey as her son, so I think it's fair for Rachel (fans) to be upset with the way Jean has treated her.
    Jean Grey has also referred to Rachel as her daughter so its not like she's been biased there

  8. #1658
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Jean Grey has also referred to Rachel as her daughter so its not like she's been biased there
    tumblr_pk0w42NpxU1udsh6eo1_1280.jpg

    Huh... awkward...
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  9. #1659
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Nate Grey/X-Man? Kid Cable is one thing but as for Nate Grey, yeah, no.
    Yep, during Extermination. She has said it to Nate, and Nathan, but never Rachel. And people wonder why Rachel fans are a little ticked about it.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  10. #1660
    Mighty Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Yep, during Extermination. She has said it to Nate, and Nathan, but never Rachel. And people wonder why Rachel fans are a little ticked about it.
    I get that. And I am a Rachel fan. I just honestly don't care about whether she and Jean are close, because to me the relationship is at its best when it is awkward and complicated. Happy families for that bloodline does not make much sense to me unless they acknowledge it is messy and imperfect but functional for them - which is what I suspect Hickman will do. Rachel IMO has always been closer to Scott, and vice versa.

  11. #1661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Jean Grey has also referred to Rachel as her daughter so its not like she's been biased there
    Well you have convinced me that Jean Grey is a horrible excuse for a parent and Rachel needs to divest herself of all relationship with that woman going forward. You are right it's time for Rachel to embrace the fact that her Mom and Dad are truly dead and move on with her life. So hopefully the writers will fulfill your wishes and keep Jean Grey as far away from Rachel Summers as possible so that they never need to interact with each other. I wouldn't want poor Jean to be stressed out having to deal with anything that puts any kind of emotional pressure on her, after all Jean just can't handle it.

    Hopefully Rachel gets to be on a team where she gets to shine, I think the only option is for Rachel to follow Cable to Fallen Angels because her brother does want a relationship with her.

  12. #1662
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,982

    Default

    Of course Jean has never referred to Rachel as her son



    Thankfully she has referred to her as daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I get that. And I am a Rachel fan. I just honestly don't care about whether she and Jean are close, because to me the relationship is at its best when it is awkward and complicated. Happy families for that bloodline does not make much sense to me unless they acknowledge it is messy and imperfect but functional for them - which is what I suspect Hickman will do. Rachel IMO has always been closer to Scott, and vice versa.
    Again, IA. Im not sure how much of it we will see in Hickman's run though

  13. #1663
    Chris-chan of X-fans Maestroneto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    5,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Well you have convinced me that Jean Grey is a horrible excuse for a parent and Rachel needs to divest herself of all relationship with that woman going forward. You are right it's time for Rachel to embrace the fact that her Mom and Dad are truly dead and move on with her life. So hopefully the writers will fulfill your wishes and keep Jean Grey as far away from Rachel Summers as possible so that they never need to interact with each other. I wouldn't want poor Jean to be stressed out having to deal with anything that puts any kind of emotional pressure on her, after all Jean just can't handle it.

    Hopefully Rachel gets to be on a team where she gets to shine, I think the only option is for Rachel to follow Cable to Fallen Angels because her brother does want a relationship with her.
    Scott has always had a good relationship with Rachel though.

  14. #1664
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Scott has always had a good relationship with Rachel though.
    Scott towards Rachel? Yes.

    Rachel towards Scott? Not exactly. Remember, she was on the "HitlerClops kill yourself" team.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  15. #1665
    Chris-chan of X-fans Maestroneto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    5,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Scott towards Rachel? Yes.

    Rachel towards Scott? Not exactly. Remember, she was on the "HitlerClops kill yourself" team.
    She spied for Scott during AvX, never on-panel complained about Cyclops during the Bendis years and left the X-Men during the “worse than Hitler” Terrigenocide.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •