Page 76 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2666727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1253
  1. #1126
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    No I meant they did a full character profile news release the same week X-Force 9 came out a couple of weeks ago. So it seems like they want to get people thinking about Rachel again. I also noticed she is showing up on a lot of different Phoenix articles on the Internet and a lot of Grey family articles on different sites. I think Rachel is being pushed alongside Jean, Scott, and Cable for a fall promotion which may indicate that they plan to use her on something past HoX/PoX. It could have been to just sell issues of X-Force #9, but I think they really wanted people to remember who Rachel is in relation to Jean, Scott, and Cable.
    I see what you're saying, but I think the promo was strictly to highlight Rachel was "returning" and "joining" X-Force. It's definitely possible they are also being strategic about showcasing her, but given the write up about her was mostly in line with what is relevant to X-Force I don't think it's more likely something to get people to pick up the issue.

  2. #1127
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,561

    Default

    At this point the only thing I’d settle for is Rachel LEADING X-Force after WiFi goes back up the timestream.

  3. #1128
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,942

    Default

    Claremont was the only who ignored the Phoenix fixing her and who also made Rachel into a 15 year old. She was still a powerful, competent psychic until Guggenheim wrote her as mind controlled by everyone. I think since the character had been damaged so that writers then decided to use Ahab´s pets reconditioning of her to reset her character. Disney´s takeover of Fox means they could expand the X-Men comics to use for their stories again. So what does that mean? A lot of characters and concepts in the 90s that were written out of the picture came back and they decide to make Rachel the Mother Askani again. I like Rachel as the Guardian of the timestream. As Phoenix Jean is more the guardian of space, but what makes Rachel different is she is more the guardian of time which they completely forgot until now.

    We´re sure to see Jean as Phoenix again, but this differentiates them as Jean can be called Phoenix and Rachel the Mother Askani. And this way Rachel can still have her Phoenix power while Jean is the Phoenix.

    Claremont wanted to ignore the Mother Askani and ignored that Rachel had grown up. Regressive writers like this who want to ignore everything else done with characters should never be hired again.

  4. #1129
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Well the only reason Claremont used Rachel as the prisoned telepathy was because Psylocke was dead and for that year "dead is dead" was in effect. And she couldn't be in his earlier issues of X-Treme because Weinberg had her in Cable. I think that each writer after Claremonts "New Age" run were inconsistent in his they depicted her throughout the series (uber powerful and bad ass to incompetent teen). Carey started to do well with her until he made her job so Rogue could show her how to be a better telepath. Then under Aaron she was mostly competent. She was incompetent under Bendis, competent and powerful under Bunn, then incompetent since. It depends on the writer and whatever other telepath is around to have Rachel make them look good.

    I'd be interested in her role as a time guardian, but I feel it would either have her written out or only appear marginally. I don't think either Rachel or Jean should be Phoenix again. It's brand is too damaged.

    But yes, Claremont regressed her to be the noon female on his team (Kitty, Jubilee, etc) when she shouldn't have been.

  5. #1130
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Well the only reason Claremont used Rachel as the prisoned telepathy was because Psylocke was dead and for that year "dead is dead" was in effect. And she couldn't be in his earlier issues of X-Treme because Weinberg had her in Cable. I think that each writer after Claremonts "New Age" run were inconsistent in his they depicted her throughout the series (uber powerful and bad ass to incompetent teen). Carey started to do well with her until he made her job so Rogue could show her how to be a better telepath. Then under Aaron she was mostly competent. She was incompetent under Bendis, competent and powerful under Bunn, then incompetent since. It depends on the writer and whatever other telepath is around to have Rachel make them look good.

    I'd be interested in her role as a time guardian, but I feel it would either have her written out or only appear marginally. I don't think either Rachel or Jean should be Phoenix again. It's brand is too damaged.

    But yes, Claremont regressed her to be the noon female on his team (Kitty, Jubilee, etc) when she shouldn't have been.
    I cant remember but did Psylocke even have TP when she died?

  6. #1131
    Mighty Member Glio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    Lately I'm thinking that to differentiate her visually over Jean, Rachel could make use of psimitar. What do you think?

  7. #1132
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    She didn't. Jean had hers, and she had taken Jean's tk. But when Betsy came back she was gifted with "mountain shattering" tk that Claremont hinted at was being increased by drawing more power from Rachel (hence Jaime's mutterings in the White Hot room about tying them together), but when he got sick and off the book that was dropped.

  8. #1133
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,003

    Default

    Why would she need one? That was used to help Cable channel his TP which he needed considering his psi-powers are weakened due to the TO virus. I think a psimitar would serve a character like Dani Moonstar. Rachel doesnt need it

    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    She didn't. Jean had hers, and she had taken Jean's tk. But when Betsy came back she was gifted with "mountain shattering" tk that Claremont hinted at was being increased by drawing more power from Rachel (hence Jaime's mutterings in the White Hot room about tying them together), but when he got sick and off the book that was dropped.
    I was asking bc Jean had her TK back as of New X-men (which was concurrent with X-treme X-men's Psylocke issues). I didnt know if she got her TP back at the same time

  9. #1134
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Lately I'm thinking that to differentiate her visually over Jean, Rachel could make use of psimitar. What do you think?
    I mean, she is the one who developed all the Askani fighting techniques using it, so why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why would she need one? That was used to help Cable channel his TP which he needed considering his psi-powers are weakened due to the TO virus. I think a psimitar would serve a character like Dani Moonstar. Rachel doesnt need it
    At this point sadly anything could be used to make her better than hound supreme. But since she developed the use of the psimitar fighting style it would be some sense.

  10. #1135
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,561

    Default

    I must be alone in thinking the Hound stuff isn't all bad.

    I want Rachel to be a brawler, scratch-your-eyes-out feral type fighter who uses her TK to amplify her resilience and strength. Whereas Psylocke is similarly melee, Betsy is all about precision, grace, and killing blows. Rachel's attacks should be more animal, emotional and desperate. If Psylocke fought you, you'd leave a beautiful corpse. If Rachel fought you, you MIGHT live, but you'd be burn victim, miss limbs, and your thoughts would be putty.

    Pyslocke is a cobra. Rachel is a flying, diving, wolverine.

  11. #1136
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I was asking bc Jean had her TK back as of New X-men (which was concurrent with X-treme X-men's Psylocke issues). I didnt know if she got her TP back at the same time
    No, as Betsy was killed off in the 4th issue of that book I believe, and she only had tk. Enough tk skill to make weapons but no refined abilities to say lift a penny. No TP at all, which was weird as Jean got her powers all back by the time those books got launched.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I must be alone in thinking the Hound stuff isn't all bad.

    I want Rachel to be a brawler, scratch-your-eyes-out feral type fighter who uses her TK to amplify her resilience and strength. Whereas Psylocke is similarly melee, Betsy is all about precision, grace, and killing blows. Rachel's attacks should be more animal, emotional and desperate. If Psylocke fought you, you'd leave a beautiful corpse. If Rachel fought you, you MIGHT live, but you'd be burn victim, miss limbs, and your thoughts would be putty.

    Pyslocke is a cobra. Rachel is a flying, diving, wolverine.
    I don't find anything other than the refined tracking abilities to be positive for Rachel when looking at being a hound. Also I don't think of Rachel as a brawler type, so for me those don't make sense. Betsy refined her body and skills so that she could be a warrior and melee fight and kick ass. Rachel has melee skills (absorbed through Kitty and training with Wolverine and Kurt), but I don't think she's defined well as a melee fighter. I think when she gets emotionally overwhelmed it would almost be light going into a hulk rage where she becomes more reckless in her offensive TK use, but not as a brawler unless the threat is up close.

    That's my preference, but I'm not opposed to her being more of a fighter. I just don't want her to fall under the shadow of yet ANOTHER telepath for being modeled after them in some realm.

  12. #1137
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I just don't want her to fall under the shadow of yet ANOTHER telepath for being modeled after them in some realm.
    That's exactly why I like the Hound stuff. Emma, Shan, Dani, Betsy, Monet... none of them are feral. Emma and Shan are more passive manipulators, Dani and Betsy are psychic weapon-focused, Monet is the closest to melee brawler, but that's more of a she-Colossus. I was thinking about modeling Rachel as a psychic "Wolverine"... which makes sense given her spikes and 80s behavior. Granted, her maturing in Excalibur means she'd be less berserker and more strategic, but she's a lot more of a knuckle-cracking all-in kickboxer who's not afraid of breaking a sweat and getting in the face of her enemy.

    If we got some kind of mutation that amplifies her TK when she's enraged, it would lead to more reason that she'd want to get in the middle of everything.

  13. #1138
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That's exactly why I like the Hound stuff. Emma, Shan, Dani, Betsy, Monet... none of them are feral. Emma and Shan are more passive manipulators, Dani and Betsy are psychic weapon-focused, Monet is the closest to melee brawler, but that's more of a she-Colossus. I was thinking about modeling Rachel as a psychic "Wolverine"... which makes sense given her spikes and 80s behavior. Granted, her maturing in Excalibur means she'd be less berserker and more strategic, but she's a lot more of a knuckle-cracking all-in kickboxer who's not afraid of breaking a sweat and getting in the face of her enemy.

    If we got some kind of mutation that amplifies her TK when she's enraged, it would lead to more reason that she'd want to get in the middle of everything.
    You know what, if you get a decent writer to build this training in to make it part of her vs it magically be her new status, I would be on board.

  14. #1139
    Incredible Member RachelGrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    You know what, if you get a decent writer to build this training in to make it part of her vs it magically be her new status, I would be on board.
    They could expand on the bird of prey analogy. Where Rachel behaves a lot like a bird of prey in the way she attacks. Even if she doesn't get the Phoenix have her powers take the form of a raptor like nimbus that flows from her. Then when she gets really enraged she could grab someone into the sky and tear them apart. Let the fire flame from her eyes. Let her be rage incarnate. She has always been a bit of a hothead so it's not unexpected that she would have serious rage issues.

    One of things I liked about AvX is when Captain American threw his shield at Rachel and she threw it back at him at the speed of sound and sent him flying. Then she laughed at Thor for thinking she was afraid of his being a God and told him that she herself knew what it was like to be a God.

    If they ever had Rachel go bad for a while it should be to do Inferno 2 where Rachel embraces her rage and the Phoenix fire inside her.

  15. #1140
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    You know what, if you get a decent writer to build this training in to make it part of her vs it magically be her new status, I would be on board.
    Aww, thanks. I'm going to take that as a huge compliment!

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    They could expand on the bird of prey analogy. Where Rachel behaves a lot like a bird of prey in the way she attacks.
    EXACTLY! Hound + Phoenix = BIRD OF PREY


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •