Page 130 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2210

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    If she still had the Shi'ar deathmark on her back, that would be an interesting conversation as Jean has no firsthand account for what happened to her family or what Rachel was put through. That alone should have been a topic of conversation at some point upon Jean's return but glossed over so they could be free and fly together. We'll never see it happen.
    yeah, it would take a writer interested in developing the mother and daughter relationship. I don't see it happening either. It's nice to see Rachel hanging out in the Summers House, but I kind of feel that's all we'll see really, the relationship with Jean and Scott is going to be mostly off panel and just implied. I can't even guess how much time she is going to have in X-Men #2, we may only see her for 1 panel and that will be all for Rachel for a while.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Is Rachel one of those characters who is "too powerful" for normal Earth-based stuff? Like she almost has to be cosmic or doing space adventures? Or time travelling. It seems that's how she's been defined and when she is on planet Earth she is mostly ignored, especially when her mom is around. (Writers seem to consider Rachel a Jean Duplicate and so that's why there isn't a whole lot of relationship bonding / resolving / drama between the two, if Jean is there, then they figure Rachel is redundant)

I'm not sure what Hickman has planned with Rachel but so far we have her in her spiked costume, she acknowledges it as being meaningful to her, and she seemed kind of "frazzled" or "done with it all" in her brief appearance.

Her main relationships with another character to my mind is still just Kitty/Kate Pryde right? Who else is she close with besides her family, although IS she even close with her family?

Idk if Rachel would make sense on Marauders again I think she's too powerful for what that book seems to be about.

Rachel is up there with Legion, etc. as kind of a top tier mutant for me. She would get along with others who could understand the struggle of having that level of ability and trying to somehow retain a connection to being a human at the same time.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Is Rachel one of those characters who is "too powerful" for normal Earth-based stuff? Like she almost has to be cosmic or doing space adventures? Or time travelling. It seems that's how she's been defined and when she is on planet Earth she is mostly ignored, especially when her mom is around. (Writers seem to consider Rachel a Jean Duplicate and so that's why there isn't a whole lot of relationship bonding / resolving / drama between the two, if Jean is there, then they figure Rachel is redundant)

I'm not sure what Hickman has planned with Rachel but so far we have her in her spiked costume, she acknowledges it as being meaningful to her, and she seemed kind of "frazzled" or "done with it all" in her brief appearance.

Her main relationships with another character to my mind is still just Kitty/Kate Pryde right? Who else is she close with besides her family, although IS she even close with her family?

Idk if Rachel would make sense on Marauders again I think she's too powerful for what that book seems to be about.

Rachel is up there with Legion, etc. as kind of a top tier mutant for me. She would get along with others who could understand the struggle of having that level of ability and trying to somehow retain a connection to being a human at the same time.
    She is not considered an Omega anymore sadly, so I don't think Marvel or Hickman think she is too powerful.

Incredible Member Infernal-Ginger's Avatar

Rachel used to be good friends with Betsy and Lorna.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicScion View Post
    Oh yeah I remember her and Betsy hanging out together in the Claremont mid 00's era

And she was with Lorna in space battling Vulcan true
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I think Rachel is going to remain as a background character and probably not get used after this little arc in the Summers House. Cable is going to Fallen Angels so he probably won't be on X-Men often. So far there is no hint that Rachel appears more than a tiny bit in X-Men #1 and #2. I am waiting to see if she gets written out or not, I think it's 50/50 she leaves in X-Men #2 to return to the future or just leaves.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

1) You hit the nail on the head with previous writers (aside from Bunn) that many don't know what to do with Rachel is Jean is around. Now, granted, that seldom has happened in the 30 years that Rachel has been in the books. Only if you include Jeen (teen Jean) do we see that because they primarily have never shared ANY space (as Rachel tends to get written out as soon as Jean is back or in a prominent position). Otherwise many wrote her to be in Jean's shadow and not able to live up, or someone to say Rachel's mega powerful but look how this villain dujour took her out.

2) I agree that Rachel is extremely powerful. We know she isn't omega like Exodus (where I would argue that while Exodus is more powerful and skilled it's only because he was augmented by Apocalypse and should be capped whereas rachel has room to grow, but I'm not Hickman). But we don't know where Hickman thinks she is power wise, so he could write her like Hellion.

3) I'd add to list the that until Gold she was also very close with Ororo, Kurt, Alex. In the further past the New Mutants, Rogue, and Meggan (in addition to those below)

4) I think Mauraders would be a good book for her if Emma wasn't in it. Whenever Emma and Kitty are in a book with Rachel instantly writers have infantized Rachel and Kitty to these teenagers with a real hate for Emma. If Emma is there while Rachel's tk is useful I don't know that her voice would be. I think if we're going on tone that Fallen Angels might be better in that she's never felt "home" anywhere as much as she has wanted to because of what gets thrown at her over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    She is not considered an Omega anymore sadly, so I don't think Marvel or Hickman think she is too powerful.
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicScion View Post
    Abso! Remove Kitty and I would say her strongest female relationships are with these two and Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I think Rachel is going to remain as a background character and probably not get used after this little arc in the Summers House. Cable is going to Fallen Angels so he probably won't be on X-Men often. So far there is no hint that Rachel appears more than a tiny bit in X-Men #1 and #2. I am waiting to see if she gets written out or not, I think it's 50/50 she leaves in X-Men #2 to return to the future or just leaves.
    She's not getting written out in the sense that they are shipping her to Limbo. She'll likely be a reserve character that Hickman brings in to assist Scott as many of the others have roles and responsibilities in other books. We won't know til X-Men #2 how she will be written and who Hickman writes her. Right now she's the Meg Griffin.
    Last edited by Askani's Flame; 10-22-2019 at 02:15 PM.

There's still Wave 2 of DoX books. X-Corps is coming and she may be featured there. If it wasnt already bloated, Id want her in New Mutants as she seems like a good fit for that

Rachel Summers is a interesting character, though… She doesn't bond easily with people but in the hands of a talented writer, it would make an interesting story: such a original background, this feeling of being displaced… if she could meet someone that is similar to her in that way… she would open up. Well, she met people before but she tended to have bad luck with them.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Rachel not being Omega is Hickman over simplifying. Rachel easily stomped QQQ, and that's without full control over her powers. For QQQ to be Omega and not Rachel is Hickman bowing to Jason Aaron's headcanon, and it bugs me.

Fantastic Member

They can retcon all they want and write the characters differently all they want to suit their needs and their narrative. Bottom line is Rachel is Omega level.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I am waiting to see if she gets written out or not, I think it's 50/50 she leaves in X-Men #2 to return to the future or just leaves.
    I don't think she is going to be written out. Sure nobody outside of Cyclops will probably get a lot on X-men on the first place but i have the feeling she will have her role. Hickman took the time to set and organize the house and I'm sure he put everything and everybody for a reason.
    It may not be much but she will get something

I hope Rachel got rid of the horrible phallic-phoenix-tatoo on her back, it's bad enough her face is covered by those nasty houndmarks that were supposed to be gone when the back tatoo was added so she doesnt need any more shitty stuff added to her body by random psychos
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Does Rachel still have the "Prestige" codename, or do they just use Rachel now? Also, is she using Grey or Summers as her last name?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Does Rachel still have the "Prestige" codename, or do they just use Rachel now? Also, is she using Grey or Summers as her last name?
    Still Prestige as a code name, though she's almost always called Rachel. Her last name is currently unknown. Some sources say Grey, some say Summers.