Page 10 of 148 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I mean you're the one that brought Jean into the equation
    haha, is there a day in this thread where we don't bring Jean into the equation. Honestly, Jean did get it rough for a long time. I guess that's no different than Rachel disappearing in the early 90's and not showing up again until the 2000's. They always alternate between making one of them disappear while they other is active. I know Marvel will never do this, but it would be nice after Age of X-Man if Jean goes seeking out Rachel and they do a 5 issue mini-series together as mother and daughter. Then after that Jean could lead and X-Team and ask Rachel to join it with her. I know they will never do that, but it would make it a lot easier for character development if they just play up the mother and daughter relationship and have it be an integral part of the comic, it would make it easier for people to differentiate between Rachel and Jean because they would keep driving home the mother and daughter relationship for once.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I mean you're the one that brought Jean into the equation
    true, my example was flawed.
    I wasn't talking about popularity. I was talking about how Rachel's recent treatment doesn't mean she is going to be permanently erased

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    haha, is there a day in this thread where we don't bring Jean into the equation. Honestly, Jean did get it rough for a long time. I guess that's no different than Rachel disappearing in the early 90's and not showing up again until the 2000's. They always alternate between making one of them disappear while they other is active. I know Marvel will never do this, but it would be nice after Age of X-Man if Jean goes seeking out Rachel and they do a 5 issue mini-series together as mother and daughter. Then after that Jean could lead and X-Team and ask Rachel to join it with her. I know they will never do that, but it would make it a lot easier for character development if they just play up the mother and daughter relationship and have it be an integral part of the comic, it would make it easier for people to differentiate between Rachel and Jean because they would keep driving home the mother and daughter relationship for once.
    I think its crazy how they are doing more with Jean and Nate's relationship than Rachel. Two whole events back to back that highlights them. Rachel really could have factored in here had they not exiled her

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I think the mother-daughter relationship sailed away a long time ago. I would settle for them to be close like many first cousins are, but I don't think it serves Rachel or Jean any good but putting them in that dynamic. I think Scott and Rachel have the potential for a decent father-daughter as he should now have his memories from his teenage self interacting and caring for her. But Jeen ignored and kept her distance from Rachel (per editorial and writers) so any bonding that could have happened there was another instance of poor execution.

I, too, would be keen on Rachel going to the Hellfire Club and working with Emma if she in fact saves her. Or going to Asteroid M with Magneto if he saves her. Currently I don't know that outside of staying in X-Force with Nate and James she has a roll to play. The X-books have ignored/forgotten her so move her out of them.

But if she does stay, I want her to have a moment where she calls people out for not looking for her and asking is this what friends and family for each other in the X-Men and having the New X-Men cheering her on.

I think its crazy how they are doing more with Jean and Nate's relationship than Rachel. Two whole events back to back that highlights them. Rachel really could have factored in here had they not exiled her
    Again, they don't want her involved in these big events that center around Greys or Summers. She kept on the fringes for Inferno. She was removed off-planet for X-Cutioner's Song. She was kept in space for Second Coming. She was kept on the fringes for AvX. She was removed from Psi-War in "Jean Grey". She was removed in the first issue of Resurrection. Removed issue 2 of Extermination. Every other child/grandchild is allowed more compelling and panel time with Jean than Rachel.
    Last edited by Askani's Flame; 02-01-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I think the mother-daughter relationship sailed away a long time ago. I would settle for them to be close like many first cousins are, but I don't think it serves Rachel or Jean any good but putting them in that dynamic. I think Scott and Rachel have the potential for a decent father-daughter as he should now have his memories from his teenage self interacting and caring for her. But Jeen ignored and kept her distance from Rachel (per editorial and writers) so any bonding that could have happened there was another instance of poor execution.

I, too, would be keen on Rachel going to the Hellfire Club and working with Emma if she in fact saves her. Or going to Asteroid M with Magneto if he saves her. Currently I don't know that outside of staying in X-Force with Nate and James she has a roll to play. The X-books have ignored/forgotten her so move her out of them.

But if she does stay, I want her to have a moment where she calls people out for not looking for her and asking is this what friends and family for each other in the X-Men and having the New X-Men cheering her on.
    Correct me if Im wrong but I dont recall them doing much with Scott and Rachel either besides the Dark Rachel Saga in Gold and the Mojoverse story. I dont think either amounted to much which would change Adult Scott's relationship with her as neither added anything that wasnt there before

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Correct me if Im wrong but I dont recall them doing much with Scott and Rachel either besides the Dark Rachel Saga in Gold and the Mojoverse story. I dont think either amounted to much which would change Adult Scott's relationship with her as neither added anything that wasnt there before
    You're not wrong but given the amount of time he had tried to reach out and be there for her in the past, plus this, I think there is more of that bond than there ever will be with Jean.

I believe Scott has a better relationship with Rachel than Jean. More flawed but more grounded and real.
    He has never denied her and has shown to care about her.

Jean cares about Rachel too but maybe Marvel doesn't know how to treat that connection. With Scott there is something complicated, a bit dysfunctional (since emma) but that's interesting but i don't think anybody wants angst between Jean and Rachel. So they probably are going to keep ignoring the subject or are going to write them has loving each other a lot but with very little shared panel time.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 02-01-2019 at 10:31 AM.

I think if they keep Rachel in the comics there are really only two valid choices for her to continue going forward. Either Scott and Jean really step up to being her parents and they actually explore that in whatever X-Book she is in, or she walks away from both of them for good and goes her own way with either Cable, Emma, or Magneto. At this point if they are not going to truly explore the family dynamic with her, then just have her go outside of the X-Men core permanently. Ideally team her up with Cable or Emma, and less ideally with Magneto. It would actually make sense for Rachel to decide to go with Magneto, with anti-mutant sentiment at it's highest level in history Rachel would almost be compelled by her own 811 universe to join with Magneto to militantly stand up against that future coming to pass in the 616 universe.

They may be hiding her in the solicits and keeping her off the covers, but I guess it is possible that she is active in X-Force or Uncanny by April. My suspicion is she will be mostly out of the books till after Age of X-Man and after War of the Realms. This goes to what you have been saying about how Rachel is mostly kept out of all the big events or kept on the periphery. Once again she is completely sidelined during two major events that are hitting comics this year. With her level of powers she would be a good character to add into War of the Realms, but they are obviously not using her there, and there hasn't been a hint in the solicits that she is joining X-Force either. Mind you it doesn't appear that they are using Emma Frost either which seems kind of silly when you factor in that she controls the Hellfire Club and could actually help out defending the planet in War of the Realms.

Technically Rachel and Emma are both sidelined, and Emma has been mostly sidelined since the end of the Mother Vine story in Blue.

Why so much love towards Emma from Rachel fans?

not that there is anything wrong with it, i'm just curious

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post

Lol, it's mostly just me, I have a soft spot for Emma, plus I like the idea of pairing Emma and Rachel in a different book that takes them both away from the X-Men for a while. I think Rachel needs to get away from the X-Books so she is not Telepath of the Week #1000. Since no one wants to write Rachel and Jean on the same book, just move Rachel out of the X-books entirely in a new direction.

I always had the impression that out of her parents Rachel cared about Jean a bit more, even when she was more hostile and hesistant than Scott. I guess she was more close to her mom during childhood or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I always had the impression that Rachel cared a bit more about Jean, even when she was more hostile and hesistant than Scott. I guess she was more close to her mom during childhood or something.
    Since she lost her mother around age 6 when 811 Jean was killed in a nuclear explosion set off by Mesmero (vague reasons in Rachel's backhistory). So like anyone who loses a parent really young you long to have that parent back more than anything in the world, so it makes sense she wants Jean to be a Mom to her so badly it hurts. Scott was a single father to Rachel until the day that the Sentinels attacked and killed mostly everyone in the X-Mansion. It's vague what age Rachel was when that happened, early teens, and she was a member of the New Mutants, and Franklin Richards was the leader of the New Mutants and Rachel's boyfriend. Franklin and some of the others escaped the attack to go into the resistance, but they were captured and put in the concentration camps later. Rachel was captured during the attack and turned over to Ahab for experimentation and she was the prototype for the Hound Program. I am not sure how many years go by where she is a hound, I expect she broke her programming around age 16 or 17 and was put in the concentration camp with Franklin, Kitty, Erik, Storm, Forge, and the others.

Most kids seem to prefer the mother over the father.
    Specialy with Jean being very empathyc and Scott being a stoic, serious man.

Most kids seem to prefer the mother over the father.
    Specialy with Jean being very empathyc and Scott being a stoic, serious man.
    I think the problem is that we have always gotten way more Rachel and Scott together on the same comic than Rachel and Jean. They really do use Rachel as a replacement for Jean, and when Jean is back they put Rachel back in the closet again.

They had a few small touches between Rachel and Scott from right after Jean's death when Rachel suddenly rejoined the X-Men. They even had Rachel start to warm up to Emma a bit after they ended up at the Hong Kong Hellfire Club chapterhouse alone together. They did a little bit of story thread where Scott encouraged Rachel when she took the "Grey" name, encouraged Rachel to wear her mother's alternative Marvel Girl costume. Then Rachel ended up going into space after the "Death of the Grey's". Then after Age of X they actually made it look like Scott cared a great deal about her as a daughter. Up until Schism of course where Rachel went with Logan and Kitty. Rachel sort of backed her Dad a little in AvX (but I think it was mostly that she backed Hope more than her Dad).

Bleh, the more I write about the canon X-Men timeline the more stupid it sounds. If I had been writing these stories I would have had Scott giving Rachel the hard sell to stay with his team during schism. She had just got her Dad back in her life, even if she was disagreeing with his methods I can't see any good reason that she would join Logan and Kitty over her Dad. In the end there is a simple explanation, one major telepath per team; Scott's team got Emma, so Wolverine and Kitty got Rachel, that's the only reason it played out that way in Schism. It was Marvel saying Telepath #1 goes on team #1, Telepath #2 goes on team #2. This is the same thing that happened when Jean came back. Technically, if Jean cares about Rachel as much as she cares about Nathan, Nate, and Hope, she would have asked Rachel to join her Red team. But the mandate was that Blue got young Jean, Red got adult Jean, and Gold got Rachel. Telepath #1, Telepath #2, and Telepath #3.

My favorite panel in the comics for those three was the wedding where all three of them are standing and talking together and adult Jean tells teenage Jean that she shouldn't be drinking, and teenage Jean tells adult Jean that she should be "Mom'ing" Rachel instead. It was probably the funniest interaction with the three of them.

Incredible Member

Rachel and Emma had a good dynamic when they worked together for that one time. I would love to see something similar.