Page 17 of 148 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    In the days when the X-Men was one of my favourite comics (back in the Claremont/Smith/Romita JR era), Rachel became my favourite member of the team, in fact one of my favourite Marvel heroes period, and it was because she was so complex psychologically. We got to spend a lot of time in her head, so even when she was making reckless decisions we understood exactly what was driving her to make those choices. I miss that level of complexity and detail in the writing, and the level of balance that Claremont was achieving (imo) in the team at the time, with no character feeling particularly short-changed. Though my enthusiasm for her waned during Excalibur, I still think she was one of the most interesting X-Men ever.
    I didn't read Excalibur, so i can't comment on that part of her characther, but i agreed about Rachel in the Claremont/Smith/Romita days, she was one of the most enjoyable X-Men from that period.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I didn't read Excalibur, so i can't comment on that part of her character, but i agreed about Rachel in the Claremont/Smith/Romita days, she was one of the most enjoyable X-Men from that period.
    I am going to follow X-Force till the end of Rachel's story and hope that this writer decides to pursue the brother/sister relationship. I don't know if the fact that kid Cable was actually upset that Rachel got taken in Extermination is going lead anywhere. Cable and Bobby were the only characters that seemed concerned that Rachel was taken. Maybe this current X-Force writer will decide to pursue the brother/sister relationship. I honestly don't mind if Rachel is an ongoing partner to Cable, I just want to see her get some positive well written characterization again.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Lately, there's been a lot of articles making it seem like there's been so much progress in comics in the last decade to protray strong female characters. But honestly, that's a load of bunk. Back in the 80s and 90s, there were far better female characters. Rachel creating Stryfe was a mistake but it makes sense in context of the lengths Rachel would go to save Nathan Christopher. In Inferno, she nearly killed all of her Excalibur teammates when she flew off to save him.

I'm hoping for the best, and fearing for the worst since Rachel being enslaved and subjugated by Stryfe is just... how is this happening in 2019? Seriously, editors would approve this? Are Jordan White and Ed Brisson secretly ComicGate supporters?
    Yeah that cover for the upcoming X-Force has a lot of underlying misogyny where Rachel is concerned. It really implies an almost sexual slavery in the imagery. Honestly the best portrayal of Rachel being a hound is when she is in the all black outfit from neck to toe, just straight black with the tattoos. But I hate going back to it over and over again. Give the girl a break. It's like every writer wants a shot at making Rachel into a hound again so they can ride on the coattails of Days of Future Past over and over. That was one of the things I liked about Days of Future Present, after Ahab hit Rachel with his harpoon she almost surrendered back to him (due to the torture shock), but she resisted and broke free of him. At the very end when Ahab escaped he tried to force Rachel to come with him and she defied him again even though she was physically and mentally weakened near death by the energy drain from Dream Franklin.

My pessimism about Rachel comes from the fact that Marvel appears to be clearing the X-Men board of all the characters outside of the silver age Original 5, and the bronze age (Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Kitty, Rogue, Psylocke, Dazzler). Those 12 characters are probably untouchable in the events going on this year. I have a feeling they are going to try and synchronize with their future plans for movies and get rid of any characters they feel are too complex to tell stories about.

Personally, I would love to see a TV series or a movie about Rachel coming to the past to try and save everyone from they dystopian future. They would be able to do regular flashbacks to the Sentinel War from time to time. I think she is a great character and there are lots of stories that they could write for her. The only problem is that Marvel sees Rachel as Jean 2.0, and now that Jean 1.0 is back, it's time to put Rachel into the closet and keep her there until they kill Jean again.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I am going to follow X-Force till the end of Rachel's story and hope that this writer decides to pursue the brother/sister relationship. I don't know if the fact that kid Cable was actually upset that Rachel got taken in Extermination is going lead anywhere. Cable and Bobby were the only characters that seemed concerned that Rachel was taken. Maybe this current X-Force writer will decide to pursue the brother/sister relationship. I honestly don't mind if Rachel is an ongoing partner to Cable, I just want to see her get some positive well written characterization again.
    I'm going to be honest and say, as I initially did, that Wi-fi didn't appear to me as upset. the way he looked and the way the "Rachel!" was conveyed as more surprise then concern to me. Bobby seemed the most upset out of everyone. And given that this Cable has only interacted with Rachel in a limited capacity as Mother Askani or the "Rachel" voice and image in his mind as a child, I don't know that there is a relationship between them right now. Older Cable was able to interact and work with Rachel. Whereas this one has literally only seen her as a hound. So maybe he has feelings for her, maybe he doesn't. Brisson will tell us, but my feelings are he doesn't as he's too focused on Scott and guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I'm going to be honest and say, as I initially did, that Wi-fi didn't appear to me as upset. the way he looked and the way the "Rachel!" was conveyed as more surprise then concern to me. Bobby seemed the most upset out of everyone. And given that this Cable has only interacted with Rachel in a limited capacity as Mother Askani or the "Rachel" voice and image in his mind as a child, I don't know that there is a relationship between them right now. Older Cable was able to interact and work with Rachel. Whereas this one has literally only seen her as a hound. So maybe he has feelings for her, maybe he doesn't. Brisson will tell us, but my feelings are he doesn't as he's too focused on Scott and guns.
    I know what you mean. I am so pessimistic about how this is going to turn out. I give it about a 60% to 70% chance they write Rachel out of the comics by either keeping her enslaved, killing her, or just abandoning her character in the future. They keep going back to this well of making her a hound which feels like they really believe that is all her character can be. If they end her story like this as an enslaved hound I don't think I'll ever read the x-books again.

I'm optimistic that she's gonna go back to normal. But I'm just not looking forward to how we get to that at all. X-Force is meh for me and any story with Rachel mind controlled it's just so tired and ridiculous.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm optimistic that she's gonna go back to normal. But I'm just not looking forward to how we get to that at all. X-Force is meh for me and any story with Rachel mind controlled it's just so tired and ridiculous.
    Normal as in Excalibur normal or back to limbo for a decade normal because if they revert Rachel from hound, she has no place in the X-Men unless they were to make massive developments or large retcons but I doubt Marvel cares to do either

Yeah that cover for the upcoming X-Force has a lot of underlying misogyny where Rachel is concerned. It really implies an almost sexual slavery in the imagery. Honestly the best portrayal of Rachel being a hound is when she is in the all black outfit from neck to toe, just straight black with the tattoos. But I hate going back to it over and over again. Give the girl a break. It's like every writer wants a shot at making Rachel into a hound again so they can ride on the coattails of Days of Future Past over and over. That was one of the things I liked about Days of Future Present, after Ahab hit Rachel with his harpoon she almost surrendered back to him (due to the torture shock), but she resisted and broke free of him. At the very end when Ahab escaped he tried to force Rachel to come with him and she defied him again even though she was physically and mentally weakened near death by the energy drain from Dream Franklin.

My pessimism about Rachel comes from the fact that Marvel appears to be clearing the X-Men board of all the characters outside of the silver age Original 5, and the bronze age (Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Kitty, Rogue, Psylocke, Dazzler). Those 12 characters are probably untouchable in the events going on this year. I have a feeling they are going to try and synchronize with their future plans for movies and get rid of any characters they feel are too complex to tell stories about.

Personally, I would love to see a TV series or a movie about Rachel coming to the past to try and save everyone from they dystopian future. They would be able to do regular flashbacks to the Sentinel War from time to time. I think she is a great character and there are lots of stories that they could write for her. The only problem is that Marvel sees Rachel as Jean 2.0, and now that Jean 1.0 is back, it's time to put Rachel into the closet and keep her there until they kill Jean again.
    I dont think Cable was upset and/or going after Rachel bc he senses some familial bond to her. As mentioned, at this stage in his life, he hasnt bonded with or really know her. He's a time cop of sorts. In order for him to exist, she must become Mother Askani, so I think saving her is a way of fixing the timestream just as he did when we first were introduced to him. I think she may be his final mission before leaving this timeline with her also leaving to form the Askani

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont think Cable was upset and/or going after Rachel bc he senses some familial bond to her. As mentioned, at this stage in his life, he hasnt bonded with or really know her. He's a time cop of sorts. In order for him to exist, she must become Mother Askani, so I think saving her is a way of fixing the timestream just as he did when we first were introduced to him. I think she may be his final mission before leaving this timeline with her also leaving to form the Askani
    Their bond is from the Askani future - and the psi-bond Rachel placed on them when Nathan was born. Rachel was essentially in Nathan's head when he was growing up in the Askani future. She was sort of his imaginary friend who helped train and protect him.

Before Cable went to rescue Rachel when she was being held captive and enslaved at the end of time, he called her the most important person in his life - and that's before Rachel returned. She risked everything for him. Even before Rachel returned, there was a cute scene in Cable (I forget the issue, it's probably in the 40s) where Nathan asks Storm to tell him about Rachel because he feels like she did all this for him and he doesn't even really know her.

So it makes sense for Kid Cable to go save Rachel since Original Cable did the same thing.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 02-23-2019 at 11:20 AM.

BANNED

The ones prominent featured in New Mutants are safe as well. Magik is now a major character. We saw Hope in Deadpool when Cable's family was saved.

But yes, the ones that have made television or film in major ways are being pushed, and others are being disgarded.

https://instagram.com/valerio_schiti...=17dnct6qxzlfx

Valerio Schiti is drawing a Hound Rachel Phoenix thing on his Instagram story fooooooor a cover? Variant?

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Sigh I much rather she had become an X-Force character and perhaps finish what she tried to start with a resurrected Serene and maybe butting heads with Wolverine again. Sick of it all attitude after Mesmero could have turned garbage into gold for me. More brainwashing is ... yawn. As I said before it may give her her edge back. And since X-Force is in this then maybe it will happen this way.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    https://instagram.com/valerio_schiti...=17dnct6qxzlfx

Valerio Schiti is drawing a Hound Rachel Phoenix thing on his Instagram story fooooooor a cover? Variant?

wow looks great. Hope it isn't just a commision.

I wonder if they would go there and have her become Phoenix again?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Their bond is from the Askani future - and the psi-bond Rachel placed on them when Nathan was born. Rachel was essentially in Nathan's head when he was growing up in the Askani future. She was sort of his imaginary friend who helped train and protect him.

Before Cable went to rescue Rachel when she was being held captive and enslaved at the end of time, he called her the most important person in his life - and that's before Rachel returned. She risked everything for him. Even before Rachel returned, there was a cute scene in Cable (I forget the issue, it's probably in the 40s) where Nathan asks Storm to tell him about Rachel because he feels like she did all this for him and he doesn't even really know her.

So it makes sense for Kid Cable to go save Rachel since Original Cable did the same thing.
    Every time I re-read this scene, I get choked up. People who say that Rachel's not essential to the Summers family are clearly wrong. Rachel needs to come back already. I haven't bought an X-Men comic since she left. Not because I'm boycotting or anything. I'm just way less interested unless she's part of it. (Unless Dazzler spotlights, that is...)