Page 30 of 148 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Maybe one of the issues that prevent them for sharing much time (outside of stupid love drama) is that Jean and Rachel share pretty much the same powers. That can be difficult for many writers.
    That's always been the problem a decent writer who can write women interacting with each other in different types of relationships. Some writers can do it and others can't.

It's the same reason that they make the female telepaths interchangeable and rarely write them together on the same books, Jean, Emma, Rachel, and Betsy are all interchangeable because writers don't know what to do with them to make them dynamic from each other while still working together in common cause.

I would love a story where all the telepaths have to work together to solve a crisis because everyone else got taken out. As much as I dislike Quentine Quire, I don't even mind if he gets included too, as long as the core 4 Jean, Emma, Betsy, and Rachel all get to be part of it. If they actually bring Blindfold back she could be in this too.

For now I would just settle on a story with Jean and Rachel where they are written properly as mother and daughter.

Incredible Member

Maybe one of the issues that prevent them for sharing much time (outside of stupid love drama) is that Jean and Rachel share pretty much the same powers. That can be difficult for many writers.

Maybe marvel could put them on the same team and depower one. that could make them interact a lot
    Instead of depowering, changing Rachel's powerset would be a better more permanent solution. Also depowering for sake of having conversation with Jean is a pretty bad reason to do so. Changing of her powerset will also mean that she can get out of Jean's shadow

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaishakh View Post
    Instead of depowering, changing Rachel's powerset would be a better more permanent solution.
    It could work but changing powersets is way more difficult. I didn't mean depowering permanently just for a while and just one of them, to make them interact with each other

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

It could work but changing powersets is way more difficult. I didn't mean depowering permanently just for a while and just one of them, to make them interact with each other
    I could see it working if somehow Rachel's tp was turned off and Jean's tk was turned off (similar to what they did with Psylocke and Jean). It would allow them to be more reliant on each other as the both have different uses and honed skills at each power.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I could see it working if somehow Rachel's tp was turned off and Jean's tk was turned off (similar to what they did with Psylocke and Jean). It would allow them to be more reliant on each other as the both have different uses and honed skills at each power.
    Exactly, if that happens they would need each other and would bond in the process. Then they get their powers back and develop a dynamic between them

Incredible Member

Changing powerset will not necessarily be a huge issue as long as they can make it as an extension or evolution of her powers or make her gain energy based powers like the Summers bros or just have her learn magic. Or she can gain access to a cosmic power that is not Phoenix. Depowering for sake of interaction is a bad idea because if it is necessary to go that far, it means that normal interactions will be impossible

I'd let them keep their powers, but introduce situations where their strengths lie. Jean is more empathic and more in tune with the needs of others. She's very understanding and has worked with multiple individuals' mental states. Rachel is the best psychic tracker and is the more versatile astral projector because she can astral project through both time and space. She'd be able to gather much needed information that way if she were able to psychically spy on a target in their past to gain clues to the present. Jean has better psychic defenses.

As for their telekinesis, they both are probably around the same levels. I think of Rachel being more brash and showy with the use of her TK though. Jean is not as fiery and flashy as she once was.

Rachel's powers arent an issue. I think most writers simply dont want to use her. Its not like she was in high demand in the years since Jean left.

Exactly, if that happens they would need each other and would bond in the process. Then they get their powers back and develop a dynamic between them
    I could stomach this for one issue at best but I really dislike depowerings, power swaps and variations on the theme...... the way for these characters to survive is good characterization and engaging writing, Jean and Rachel have very defined personalities and a rich backstory, the secret is to display and spotlight the strong points and avoid above all cost to make the daughter into the mother.
    Last edited by Daedra; 03-22-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    AvsX. Rachel joined Scott because she knew that the Phoenix could be controlled. They had a talk, Scott reaffirmed that he considered her his daughter and he loved her and Rachel asked him if the Phoenix ever talked about her.
    Sorry to ask this again but does anybody knows where this particular exhange happens?
    which issue?

I challenge any of you to list 10 storylines for Rachel that do not involve Jean Grey, Scott Summers, or the Phoenix.

Actually, make it 5. Go crazy, get creative.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    If she's asexual then by definition she cant be a lesbian
    Oh dear. Usually someone else replies before I get to. Being straight or gay doesn't mean that you can't be asexual. I'm a gay man. I am attracted to and love men, but I have no desire to have sex. I'm gay and asexual.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I challenge any of you to list 10 storylines for Rachel that do not involve Jean Grey, Scott Summers, or the Phoenix.

Actually, make it 5. Go crazy, get creative.
    1. Selene's pursuit of Rachel to turn her into a protege when she was new to the present day.

2. The subplot of the link to Brian Braddock when he was lost in the time stream, which led to her leaving the present so he could take her place in his rightful era.

3. Rachel goes to college after coming back to the present and has a storyline of stopping a terrorist on campus or something like that.

4. Gaunt storyline at the end of time where Cable came from the present to rescue her.

5. R'chel. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    Oh dear. Usually someone else replies before I get to. Being straight or gay doesn't mean that you can't be asexual. I'm a gay man. I am attracted to and love men, but I have no desire to have sex. I'm gay and asexual.
    There's so many layers of sexuality it's crazy. I've been trying to deal with the fact that I feel (probably for a long time) more asexual than not myself and it kind of annoys me saying no thanks to everyone and my friends think I'm nuts lol.
    Last edited by Drey; 03-22-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    AvsX. Rachel joined Scott because she knew that the Phoenix could be controlled. They had a talk, Scott reaffirmed that he considered her his daughter and he loved her and Rachel asked him if the Phoenix ever talked about her.
    I don't know about knowing it could be controlled, but she was the only one to experience how it was a force for good. As for the scene where he claims that she is still his daughter and her pain is his pain, I still to this day don't know what to make of it. I read that more as the Phoenix speaking to Rachel than Scott. It felt off, especially where Rachel asks about the Phoenix and "Scott" gives a vague answer of it loving everyone. For me, I don't think Scott was in control so him affirming their relationship in this context isn't true.

Sorry to ask this again but does anybody knows where this particular exhange happens?
    which issue?
    Yes, Wolverine & the X-Men issue 10. It's the issue devoted to Rachel, which of course we later find out some of it was untrue. I remember being so excited that Rachel finally got to interact with Hope and did something heroic. And always wondered why PhoenixScott seemed so convinced something was off with Rachel's version. And then the reveal later in Avengers that Hope was never there and it was Xavier all along. But it but showed how strong and powerful Rachel was in different ways.

And then Gueggenheim came and destroyed all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I don't know about knowing it could be controlled, but she was the only one to experience how it was a force for good. As for the scene where he claims that she is still his daughter and her pain is his pain, I still to this day don't know what to make of it. I read that more as the Phoenix speaking to Rachel than Scott. It felt off, especially where Rachel asks about the Phoenix and "Scott" gives a vague answer of it loving everyone. For me, I don't think Scott was in control so him affirming their relationship in this context isn't true.

Yes, Wolverine & the X-Men issue 10. It's the issue devoted to Rachel, which of course we later find out some of it was untrue. I remember being so excited that Rachel finally got to interact with Hope and did something heroic. And always wondered why PhoenixScott seemed so convinced something was off with Rachel's version. And then the reveal later in Avengers that Hope was never there and it was Xavier all along. But it but showed how strong and powerful Rachel was in different ways.

And then Gueggenheim came and destroyed all that.
    Finally someone answered
    Thanks!