Page 51 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I sadly fear that writers like the hound aspect of rachel and it will probably something that they are never going to leave.
    Even if they could solve the issue and even if past stories have deal with it, it will be ignored.
    Someone needs to get Kelly Thompson in on this. The Jessica Jones Purple Daughter book was an excellent example of a strong female dealing with extreme trauma.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Someone needs to get Kelly Thompson in on this. The Jessica Jones Purple Daughter book was an excellent example of a strong female dealing with extreme trauma.
    I dont want to see writers just revisiting her trauma for the nth time. I hope they could do better but I know they wont

Quote Originally Posted by Vaishakh View Post
    I dont want to see writers just revisiting her trauma for the nth time. I hope they could do better but I know they wont
    Considering everything that's happened, it's a story that needs to be told again, and told right this time.

Considering everything that's happened, it's a story that needs to be told again, and told right this time.
    I agree, at this point Rachel should have a story arc about this. Other writers have been able to write about this, Jessica Jones (Marvel), Jessica Cruz (DC). It can be a very compelling story to write about the PTSD and other psychological issues that a character has to overcome to find themselves again. How does Rachel feel about the fact that the X-Men allowed her to be taken away as a hound and kept that way for an extended period of time? Why didn't the X-Men just kill Ahab outright with everything they had? For Rachel being made into a hound again was probably a fate worse than death, in Rachel's mind she might even think it would have been better if Jean and the others killed Rachel instead of letting Ahab take Rachel away again.

If I was writing Rachel, I would probably have her come back and join either Magneto or Emma straight out. In Rachel's current state I can't see her as being anything other than suffering from severe PTSD and consumed by grief and rage and she would go out seeking mentor's or allies who wouldn't stand in the way of her rage.

Incredible Member

I would disagree that it needs to be told. It is not something that can be done well unless writer is heavily invested in the character(eliminates most Marvel writers) and also needs a continuous focus on the character(not going to happen in a team book). The quickest way to deal with it is a mindwipe

I would disagree that it needs to be told. It is not something that can be done well unless writer is heavily invested in the character(eliminates most Marvel writers) and also needs a continuous focus on the character(not going to happen in a team book). The quickest way to deal with it is a mindwipe
    Its already being revisited. They might as well address it and give her some actual character development rather than glossing oer it and leaving her in the same state she's been in. A mindwipe doesnt address anything and leaves her vulnerable to get taken advantage of again by the end of the year

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its already being revisited. They might as well address it and give her some actual character development rather than glossing oer it and leaving her in the same state she's been in. A mindwipe doesnt address anything and leaves her vulnerable to get taken advantage of again by the end of the year
    She gets taken advantage whether or not she gets mindwiped. Getting mindwiped also allows another direction of development by erasing all past ones(since they ignore most of it anyway). Also any character development she gets will get removed when next writer takes control anyway
    Last edited by Vaishakh; 04-27-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I thought I would share this Twitter conversation I had with Jordan White. I really appreciate the time he takes to speak with readers, and his honesty in his answers. I'm not sure where this lands us, as fans, but I will say he understands that this is not a good look for the X-Office or her:

chriswacki: As always, I appreciate your candor and conversation Jordan. Now if you could save Rachel from the worst character degradation in recent history that would be lovely.

cracksh0t: He made her that way in the first place! He wanted her back!

chriswacki: But does his needs supercede her will and desires of not being a slave? And now she's being trafficked. So that's 4 enslavements in a year and only Cable is trying to do something to help her. Her only words have been HISSS or DIE MUTANTS in the past 7 mos

cracksh0t: No - he is a terrible person who you should judge harshly for his misdeeds. But green lighting a story about bad things doesn't mean I approve of the villains' actions.

chriswacki: Correct, and you clearly know how and where this story ends and I don't yet. The concern I have for my favorite fictional character is that she's been abused by 4 villains in 1 year and there looks like there is no end to it and the characters close to her are apathetic to it.

cracksh0t: Yeah - it's a lot. Writers kept wanting to do that to her, which seems weird, though I suppose its one of the things she is known for in the classic books. Not the strongest choice to do them close together. I think it started as an attempt at synergy before my time....

cracksh0t: ...but the stories diverged and no longer worked together. But perhaps I should have tried harder to get the writers to change their plans away from her.

chriswacki: Well I appreciate you saying it's a lot to start, & if there is an opportunity to salvage her and let her have redemption after this arc in X-Force that would help. But for all we know she dies or is left in the future. Again, thanks for chatting.

See this kind of stuff makes me angry.

I just finished reading the entire Green Lanterns arc, and maybe some of the issues weren't that great, but they really addressed the gradual growth of Jessica Cruz as she dealt with her crippling anxiety and PTSD. They did it over multiple issues, with a few of them specifically focussed on what she was going through.

Why can't the Marvel writers do the same thing for Rachel, actually truly address what has happened to her and show her overcoming it. I swear they just like her collared up in chains in BDSM outfits as a slave and they have no other idea of what to do with her.

I really believe now that they are going to kill her off at the end of X-Force, it will probably be Cable that does it to "save the universe" from the enslaved hound Phoenix Rachel.

Rachel got a mention in Uncanny today when Scott acknowledged her death alongside the other X-men. That confirms he assumes she was in the final battle against X-man and why he hasnt been looking for her.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Rachel got a mention in Uncanny today when Scott acknowledged her death alongside the other X-men. That confirms he assumes she was in the final battle against X-man and why he hasnt been looking for her.
    Cable didnt tell him the truth to make sure Scott sticks to his mission while he went for the rescue

Cable didnt tell him the truth to make sure Scott sticks to his mission while he went for the rescue
    Well thats a jerk move.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Thats what we all assumed but what Scott thought of Rachel wasnt confirmed until now. Its a minor thing but needed to be done so we get a sense that at least someone is thinking about her

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Well thats a jerk move.
    It is. Scott has like 12 X-men at his disposal. He could easily split the team off and do a rescue mission for Rachel if he was armed with that information

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Well thats a jerk move.
    Well since I think this whole X-Force arc ends with Rachel being killed by Cable, I guess it makes it easier since he never has to tell his parents he killed his sister, not that they would actually grieve about it anyway. I am sure Jean would be totally relieved she doesn't have to keep telling Rachel to stop calling Jean "Mom". I honestly can't believe that Rachel's final arc is to be a mindless slave who has no agency in her own fate whatsoever.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Rachel is not going to die. The whole point of this run seems to be her rescue, i know things have been bad but i really don't think marvel will screw things that badly.

Cable not telling scott has more to do with brisson wanting to focus on stryfe, cable and rachel.