Page 56 of 105 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Teen_Titans_by_Ross.jpg

Fab five for life.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Teen_Titans_by_Ross.jpg

Fab five for life.
    I wish Alex Ross drew them more.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I...don't really notice much difference. The bottom shot does look brighter.
    For one thing, the top image looks dustier and Evans isn't as groomed as he is in the bottom shot. You show the top image in a movie and people will not be impressed by Steve's look.

Is that really a pic on set and its corresponding look onscreen? Because the colors of his sleeves and stripes on his chest are different in the two pictures. But he looks fine in both.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Should I continue with Marv Wolfman's run after issue 39 of 'The New Teen Titans' (1984)? I heard it gets worst from here. Thoughts?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Should I continue with Marv Wolfman's run after issue 39 of 'The New Teen Titans' (1984)? I heard it gets worst from here. Thoughts?
    So you just finished Loving You, right? That's honestly a good stopping point for the series. There is some good stuff afterwards. Who is Wonder Girl? is a great arc, even if it feels totally unnecessary given that Who is Donna Troy? was ultimately a stronger story. Titans Hunt is honestly pretty exciting, even if it is a giant mess that got sidetracked one too many times and almost everything afterwards is terrible. The Wildebeest Society is a pretty cool antagonist as well.

However, you also have to deal with Danny Chase, and the characters you know and love leaving the comics one by one only to be replaced by very poor substitutes who Wolfman clearly doesn't particularly like. The quality keeps dipping and dipping as Wolfman starts being held prisoner by the editors on the title and the characters get hilariously more X-Treme and 90s.

It's really comes down to how curious you are about what comes next. There will be some enjoyable bits, but there will also be increasing levels of terribleness.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

#39-100 is a mixed bag of good ideas, bad ideas, too much editorial interference, some burnout and a few wasted opportunities.
    I think it really gets bad after #100.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

The best moment to stop is that or read until you discover Danny Chase and then close with The New Teen Titans: Games.

Here's a thought...

What if DC really had tried to make the Titans into an X-Men-sized franchise?

While I do think that Peterson's influence on tone was detrimental to the title... he did have some good ideas about strengthening the Titans as a franchise by bringing Deathstroke back into the book and giving the Titans a second team title.
    However, I don't think Team Titans was the best way to go.

Looking at Marvel's tactics with X-Men, especially in the '80s and '90s, they would periodically re-invent the line-up of the X-Men and launch new teams by splitting off some of the popular characters into a new series.
    Excalibur used Kitty, Nightcrawler and Rachel.
    X-Factor was the founders, which included Cyclops, someone that had been in X-Men for forever.

Imagine if, instead of getting a team of unknown nobodies and an alternate reality Terra... we got...

The Titans West team that Wolfman had been planning, but with Cyborg and Changeling being the transfers to the new team.
    I've looked at his original thoughts for the line-up, and after adding Changeling, I would drop Diah H for two females: Bumblebee and Dr. Light (Kimiyo).
    This would've given a line-up of:
    Cyborg (leader)
    Changeling
    Bumblebee
    Red Star
    Thunder
    Lightning
    Dr. Light II

A much stronger pull than Team Titans, I think.

And since DC and Marvel are always taking cues from each other...
    A second Titans spin-off team could've been the Fab Five (ala X-Factor): Nightwing (leader), Troia, Tempest, Flash and Arsenal.

As for who would remain in the main book, they'd still have Starfire (who would naturally become leader), Raven, Pantha, Jericho and some new members.
    Wolfman could've been already building up the new members to replace Changeling, Cyborg, Nightwing and Troia... if they had been thinking about expanding like this.
    And constant crossovers with the other two books would ensure that they would still be making regular appearances.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

I would love to see Red Star with the Titans again.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    So you just finished Loving You, right? That's honestly a good stopping point for the series. There is some good stuff afterwards. Who is Wonder Girl? is a great arc, even if it feels totally unnecessary given that Who is Donna Troy? was ultimately a stronger story. Titans Hunt is honestly pretty exciting, even if it is a giant mess that got sidetracked one too many times and almost everything afterwards is terrible. The Wildebeest Society is a pretty cool antagonist as well.

However, you also have to deal with Danny Chase, and the characters you know and love leaving the comics one by one only to be replaced by very poor substitutes who Wolfman clearly doesn't particularly like. The quality keeps dipping and dipping as Wolfman starts being held prisoner by the editors on the title and the characters get hilariously more X-Treme and 90s.

It's really comes down to how curious you are about what comes next. There will be some enjoyable bits, but there will also be increasing levels of terribleness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    #39-100 is a mixed bag of good ideas, bad ideas, too much editorial interference, some burnout and a few wasted opportunities.
    I think it really gets bad after #100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krivus View Post
    The best moment to stop is that or read until you discover Danny Chase and then close with The New Teen Titans: Games.
    Thanks for the feedback! Loving You, is now one of my favorite issues and it really did feel like an end to Wolfman's run. I think I might continue for a bit and see how it goes.

Mighty Member

Thanks for the feedback! Loving You, is now one of my favorite issues and it really did feel like an end to Wolfman's run. I think I might continue for a bit and see how it goes.
    Yeah, Loving You is a great issue that seems to get overlooked most of the time, but it does such great stuff with Raven and Kori.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

I think my stopping point (once the new trades reach that point) will be the conclusion of the arc where they recover Raven from Brother Blood. From what I remember, that's where it all wraps up semi-satisfactorily. I bought a lot of the post-Perez issues from back issue bins, and the "Sequelitis" definitely set in, since it was essentially sequels to earlier arcs that lost something with the lack of Perez drawing them. But they were still solid (the Kory/Blackfire stuff is actually really good). After that, it's all Danny Chase, Titans Hunt, post-Crisis Donna alterations*, X-Treme Team Titans and Lord Chaos. I think I'm good on avoiding all of that.

*I read the Who is Wonder Girl arc as part of the Who is Donna Troy? trade that came out a while back. I liked it, it definitely helped that Perez was a co-creator there, but as a straight up replacement to the earlier, much more elegantly simple origin it falls far short. I would have liked those elements like New Cronus and the Titan Seeds coming into play while conforming to the earlier origin and tied to Wonder Woman, instead of replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I wish Alex Ross drew them more.
    Agreed. Maybe Alex Ross might be the one who could return the Titans/Teen Titans to their former glory. Ross could do something remotely similar to his Earth X/Universe X/Paradise X from Marvel.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-12-2019 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    SNIP
    This isn't a super bad idea. Maybe Lilith on either Titans West instead of Kimiyo or as the sixth ranger in the Fab Five? As for Starfire's team, this would have been the perfect opportunity to bring back Terra like they did in Team Titans as a repentant member of the team, and make use of some other young characters (Batgirl, perhaps?) as well as creating new ones.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey