Page 11 of 105 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The lighter, character-driven stories were a little too light for the NTT fans, since Wolfman was never the feel-good storyteller on Titans, that Grayson was. Never...and that left her coming up, a little short on action, intensity, suspense. The idea that the Titans aren't like other teams, because its a 'family' - that was Devin's thing, and not Wolfman's.

Dan has restored the Titans to being what Wolfman built them into, ..a hot, hard-hitting, little strike force, aiming low and dark, while the JLA drops in from the Heavens. Being less powerful, than their mentors, the Titans use their individual skills and powers in a complex, coordinated fighting style, like Marvel's X-Men - that was also a signature feature of the team.

Raven should have been Sargon the Sorcerer's granddaughter. There. I said it.
    That's all well and good but the impression I got from Abnett Titans from not reading it is they are reckless, uncoordinated and a failure, because Justice League, the higher and trustworthy authority, say so and because of cover like this that says to me that they can't even finish their first mission of keeping new metahuman safe.

Cover._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Now I don't know if that's what really happened but that's the impression I got and it affect how I view them and thus my interest in reading

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That's all well and good but the impression I got from Abnett Titans from not reading it is they are reckless, uncoordinated and a failure, because Justice League, the higher and trustworthy authority, say so and because of cover like this that says to me that they can't even finish their first mission of keeping new metahuman safe.

Now I don't know if that's what really happened but that's the impression I got and it affect how I view them and thus my interest in reading
    Abnett's Titans is not the most flattering depiction of the team. Honestly, the Titans and the JL(though the JL is getting better) have been written as incompetent since Metal.The Titans seem more incompetent than the JL because the franchise has been bad for a long time and in-universe they are seen as a bootleg/third rate JL with extra baggage. That's why the JL made Ms.Martian their handler, despite her own issues.

Why has Abnett transferred Cyborg's identity issues to BB? The 'Am I a man or monster?' arc that BB is going through is basically a diabolos ex machina since BB turns into a monster and loses control at the worse time to create drama.

Did Donna really need another identity crisis?(thankfully, she seems to have put down the booze)

Steel is just there. I want to like her but nothing is being done with her.

Raven's storyline is kind of interesting but I feel like its setting up for a temporary heel turn. I'm not looking forward to another 'Raven goes evil and corrupted' arc.
    Last edited by king81992; 01-10-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Yeah, the thing about the NTT was that they were meant to be a super-team, and as a team were supposed to be capable of things basically no one else can do. Like you know, defeat Trigon. That hasn't been there for a long time, and while I'm sure Abnett wanted to get there, he didn't. The thing that worked with the NTT is that the characters were still growing. The end of a character arc didn't mean the end of the character's development, it just meant they'd get another character arc. Abnett opted to make his teams feel as flawed as possible instead, but without space for them to grow, and that's really the thing that's rubbed everyone the wrong way.

And about the JL, I really don't see how the Trinity and their generation should be allowed to call the shots ever. Between Metal, HiC, and everything in between, it's been one screw up after another for them. At this point, Damian's generation might be better off being the JL, as crazy as that would be considering the current ongoings in the Teen Titans book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Yeah, the thing about the NTT was that they were meant to be a super-team, and as a team were supposed to be capable of things basically no one else can do. Like you know, defeat Trigon. That hasn't been there for a long time, and while I'm sure Abnett wanted to get there, he didn't. The thing that worked with the NTT is that the characters were still growing. The end of a character arc didn't mean the end of the character's development, it just meant they'd get another character arc. Abnett opted to make his teams feel as flawed as possible instead, but without space for them to grow, and that's really the thing that's rubbed everyone the wrong way.

And about the JL, I really don't see how the Trinity and their generation should be allowed to call the shots ever. Between Metal, HiC, and everything in between, it's been one screw up after another for them. At this point, Damian's generation might be better off being the JL, as crazy as that would be considering the current ongoings in the Teen Titans book.
    Let's be honest, its only been one issue and the YJ cast seems more competent than the Titans,TT and JL have been recently.

Abnett making a flawed team is fine but as you say, he hasn't made them grow beyond that. The story arc has been these guys are incompetent losers who make everything worse and are in over their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Abnett's Titans feels like a really bad soap opera focusing on the team when they were hanging out as sidekicks in the Titans Lair. Hell even back then they had more respect and dignity. No one feels like they have an understanding of their skills/powers, relationships, or themselves. Which would be fine if the story was for them to find those things. The problem is they should already be there and they seem to be getting worse as time goes on.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Abnett's Titans is not the most flattering depiction of the team. Honestly, the Titans and the JL(though the JL is getting better) have been written as incompetent since Metal.The Titans seem more incompetent than the JL because the franchise has been bad for a long time and in-universe they are seen as a bootleg/third rate JL with extra baggage. That's why the JL made Ms.Martian their handler, despite her own issues.

Why has Abnett transferred Cyborg's identity issues to BB? The 'Am I a man or monster?' arc that BB is going through is basically a diabolos ex machina since BB turns into a monster and loses control at the worse time to create drama.

Did Donna really need another identity crisis?(thankfully, she seems to have put down the booze)

Steel is just there. I want to like her but nothing is being done with her.

Raven's storyline is kind of interesting but I feel like its setting up for a temporary heel turn. I'm not looking forward to another 'Raven goes evil and corrupted' arc.
    Yeah, I'm sorry to say, that right now Steel is just a bland version of Ironheart (who appears in Marvel's Champions and just relaunched a solo book). But Natasha's been around longer than Riri, so shouldn't she have had more historical character development? They need to show off the unique parts of her personality. The older character shouldn't look like a knockoff.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Is the Winick Titans run worth a read?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is the Winick Titans run worth a read?
    Eh, not really. It's all over the place and kinda incoherent.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Eh, not really. It's all over the place and kinda incoherent.
    Sounds like a Winick comic .

Nice to meet a fellow non fan. Cant stand Winick's lame writing.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Nice to meet a fellow non fan. Cant stand Winick's lame writing.
    Ah man I loved Winick’s Green Arrow! Can’t say I’ve read anything else by Winick though.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Ah man I loved Winick’s Green Arrow! Can’t say I’ve read anything else by Winick though.
    I haven't read his Green Arrow yet, but he seems to do a lot with Mia, which I appreciate.

(Oh, and I liked Under the Red Hood).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, I'm sorry to say, that right now Steel is just a bland version of Ironheart (who appears in Marvel's Champions and just relaunched a solo book). But Natasha's been around longer than Riri, so shouldn't she have had more historical character development? They need to show off the unique parts of her personality. The older character shouldn't look like a knockoff.
    Yes she should however like many characters that history got tossed aside to build up others.

Yes she is an older character but how much USAGE has she had since the end of not only Steel but Infinity Inc? We are talking 12 years of doing nothing aside from whatever she was doing in Superwoman and Traci 13.

She will look like a knockoff because Riri was under a higher profile writer, not limited to ONE book, benefited from a campaign to get Eve Ewing hired and she's in Champions.

In other words yet again what Dc does not do SOMEONE else does. I would not be shocked if we see her tongue down Ben and Supergirl comes flying in to say "get your hands off my MAN!" Knowing Dc that is probably coming.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    In other words yet again what Dc does not do SOMEONE else does. I would not be shocked if we see her tongue down Ben and Supergirl comes flying in to say "get your hands off my MAN!" Knowing Dc that is probably coming.
    You have a higher likelihood of that happening with Miss Martian then Natasha (if it even happens at all).

I don't see DC completely changing her sexuality.