Page 61 of 182 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I have a question, I know Namor has had a lot of AU kids, but I was wondering what the list was? Also was Marinna's kids really his kids? I have to reread those comics sometime. I recall a few kids and wanted to list them:

Canon

-Kamar (deceased)

- Marrina's kids (? Not sure if it was confirmed?)

AU

- Remy Mckenzie

- Future son with Abria who was time erased

I know there is more but I can't seem to recall them now

In my headcanon, Kamar isn't Namor's kid. Again, a set-up that made no sense.

I've always thought that Marrina's children were with her Plodex mate, NOT Namor. And I'm sure John Bryne would agree. ;p

Brian Cronin did one his articles on it, and he states it is Namor's kids. I thought it was implied in the original story that they were the Plodex, but later, there's a story where Namor says something about them being his. IIRC, there's another story / panel that contradicts that and says they are pure Plodex -- and Cronin didn't include that. Of course, now I have to find it. Anyway, here's the Cronin article.

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-namor-marrina-children/

AU (of the top of my head)

There's a whole horde of kids in that AU with Remy McKenzie.

There's the kid he has with Sue in one of the What If?

There's the House of M kid he has that shows up at Captain America's ... some ceremony, in Brubaker's HoM issue, which I think was #10.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Ah, thanks for your support. Here's some bigger shots. I don't think I've ever shown the entire Namor costume in the board. Sorry that I blur my face in the Namor pic but I have a teenage daughter that hates the fact that her old man cosplays. ;P I'm sure others being younger than me don't have that problem. lol To me being such a muscle nerd is what keeps me active, motivated and in shape as I love these characters and love trying to look like them.
    That is very cool, I have never cosplayed but if I did I would totally be Namor, though a female version maybe something like these cosplay images Kris Anka once did for a fan. Those wings look great too! I have seen fans use sandles and attach the wings to it if they are going with the classic submariner look.

captainsparklefingers asked:

Hi, mr anka...You seem to be Namor's number one fan currently in the industry, so I hope you don't mind me asking you this...I wanna cosplay Namor, but I'm a girl and most of his costumes involve either shirtlessness or exposed chests. What do you think would be the best way to make a girl Namor costume work, or which of his costumes would make the most sense for a girl Namor? Love your art, and thank you for squirrel girl and thor's beautifully drawn date.

kristaferanka answered:

okay so i whipped up three ideas you could try!

the first is a play on the classic black leather outfit. the second is based on the speedo look. and the third off the phoenix five outfit.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    In my headcanon, Kamar isn't Namor's kid. Again, a set-up that made no sense.

I've always thought that Marrina's children were with her Plodex mate, NOT Namor. And I'm sure John Bryne would agree. ;p

Brian Cronin did one his articles on it, and he states it is Namor's kids. I thought it was implied in the original story that they were the Plodex, but later, there's a story where Namor says something about them being his. IIRC, there's another story / panel that contradicts that and says they are pure Plodex -- and Cronin didn't include that. Of course, now I have to find it. Anyway, here's the Cronin article.

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-namor-marrina-children/

AU (of the top of my head)

There's a whole horde of kids in that AU with Remy McKenzie.

There's the kid he has with Sue in one of the What If?

There's the House of M kid he has that shows up at Captain America's ... some ceremony, in Brubaker's HoM issue, which I think was #10.
    I also didn't think that Marrina's kids were Namor's at all but I had been talking with another fan who insisted they were and thought I had been wrong. As for Kamar, it was poorly introduced and written and my general rule for characters is don't give them kids if you are just gonna kill them off by the end of that run. Thanks for that link!

One of my favorite images of Namor and kids is this one from The once and future sub-mariner where it was like one panel? and it looked like she was Lady Dorma and Namor's child because of the red hair.

Mighty Member

That is very cool, I have never cosplayed but if I did I would totally be Namor, though a female version maybe something like these cosplay images Kris Anka once did for a fan. Those wings look great too! I have seen fans use sandles and attach the wings to it if they are going with the classic submariner look.

Those look awesome! You could be Namora too, that's a character that needs to be cosplayed more often. And one that I've never seen and would be incredibly cool is Lady Dorma, and something much easier for a modest person since she was always mostly dressed in an elegant dress, the only hard thing would be the blue skin paint.

Thor-El, have you ever considered doing Hercules? He is one of my favorites after Namor, and I love the Herc and Namor team ups whenever they are together in the comics. Makes me wish Marvel Mcu went with the Olympians path rather than the Eternals. Also if I ever got a chance to do cosplay I would very much try for a Namora too. There was this one Namora cosplayer who was really great! Link

Those look awesome! You could be Namora too, that's a character that needs to be cosplayed more often. And one that I've never seen and would be incredibly cool is Lady Dorma, and something much easier for a modest person since she was always mostly dressed in an elegant dress, the only hard thing would be the blue skin paint.
    Lady Dorma would require a lot of blue paint! XD but totally would be worth it cause she is a great character. Namora or Nita would be easier choices. However I am way too far away from most of the major comic con places but maybe someday if I ever get a chance to go I will totally try for cosplay.

Mighty Member

Thor-El, have you ever considered doing Hercules? He is one of my favorites after Namor, and I love the Herc and Namor team ups whenever they are together in the comics. Makes me wish Marvel Mcu went with the Olympians path rather than the Eternals.
    I agree the Olympians are more interesting but I think they want to give Jack Kirby some well deserved props. If that's the reason I'm all for it. I did cosplay Hercules a while ago at an office party but not Marvel's shirtless Hercules, it was more Disney's Hercules. I won the first prize which was a couple of dinner certificates for the Outback restaurants.

Also if I ever got a chance to do cosplay I would very much try for a Namora too. There was this one Namora cosplayer who was really great! Link
    Wow, she is great! I follow several cosplayers in instagram but sadly none of the ladies do Namor related characters. Is mostly Wonder Woman, Mystique and Cat Woman or manga characters.

Lady Dorma would require a lot of blue paint! XD but totally would be worth it cause she is a great character. Namora or Nita would be easier choices. However I am way too far away from most of the major comic con places but maybe someday if I ever get a chance to go I will totally try for cosplay.
    Yes, that's definitely a more comfortable cosplay than Dorma since you don't need to wear the blue paint. There is a Mary Jane cosplayer that took a picture with me cosplaying Bane that looks exactly like Namorita.

However I am way too far away from most of the major comic con places but maybe someday if I ever get a chance to go I will totally try for cosplay.
    Ah, that's unfortunate. Although these days you never know, comic conventions are springing up everywhere.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 04-12-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typos

What book was that Alan Davis page from?

I agree the Olympians are more interesting but I think they want to give Jack Kirby some well deserved props. If that's the reason I'm all for it. I did cosplay Hercules a while ago at an office party but not Marvel's shirtless Hercules, it was more Disney's Hercules. I won the first prize which was a couple of dinner certificates for the Outback restaurants.
    I'm going to see how the Eternals play out cause I have not really read anything about them, maybe someday Marvel will adapt the Olympians too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    What book was that Alan Davis page from?
    Dark Reign The List: X-Men (2009) Norman Osborn bring Marrina back to life to send her after Namor.

When John Byrne launched Namor's new ongoing series in 1990, he had a bit of a problem. Namor did not exactly have an extensive supporting cast to choose from, so Byrne mostly had to make up a cast from scratch. Secondly, Byrne noted that Namor tended to work best when playing off other people, so the supporting cast was going to be a big deal in the book, so he needed to have some good characters (luckily, Namorita was already established, which helped out a lot). The first issue introduced Carrie and Caleb Alexander, a father and son marine biologist team who discover Namor (then believed to be dead) and helped him deal with his mood swings. He decided to purchase a company and become a businessman. He supplied the money and the Alexanders became his front for the purchase of Oracle, Inc.
    link

Just read this article on CBR and the first thing that's mentioned about Bryne's run is that Namor didn't have a supporting cast, and had to build one. This was in the 90s and now we still don't have a supporting cast for Namor, if he ever does get a solo then that writer would have to do the same. Also they called Carrie a 'son' which was strange cause they used scans of the comic!

Mighty Member

link

Just read this article on CBR and the first thing that's mentioned about Bryne's run is that Namor didn't have a supporting cast, and had to build one. This was in the 90s and now we still don't have a supporting cast for Namor, if he ever does get a solo then that writer would have to do the same. Also they called Carrie a 'son' which was strange cause they used scans of the comic!
    I followed the entire John Byrne run and stayed with the series until it was cancelled. I remember a very interesting Marvel Age interview they did with Byrne about the Namor comic. I will try to see if I can find it and scan the pages to post it here. Lots of really interesting opinions on Namor by Byrne at the time discussing the comic and its direction.

link

Except that claim about Namor's supporting cast isn't true at all. Bob Harras, who followed John Byrne, used Namor's supporting cast extensively. Harras used Tiger Shark, Tamara, Lord Dara, Lord Seth, Vashti, Morel, Namorita, and Princess Fen.

Now, if he's talking about his surface world cast, perhaps, moreso, but even there, we have Jim Hammond, and Diane and Walter Newell. As for villains, Byrne even used Roxxon who the Atlanteans have encountered previously.

It's not that Namor doesn't have a supporting cast. It's that writers keep wanting to ignore the previous characters, so they can invent a new cast.

All that said, it seems Cronin is on a Namor kick. And I approve.

I followed the entire John Byrne run and stayed with the series until it was cancelled. I remember a very interesting Marvel Age interview they did with Byrne about the Namor comic. I will try to see if I can find it and scan the pages to post it here. Lots of really interesting opinions on Namor by Byrne at the time discussing the comic and its direction.
    I remember that article too. Though it is probably packed away.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I also didn't think that Marrina's kids were Namor's at all but I had been talking with another fan who insisted they were and thought I had been wrong. As for Kamar, it was poorly introduced and written and my general rule for characters is don't give them kids if you are just gonna kill them off by the end of that run. Thanks for that link!
    Exactly. But also, Namor is a prince. He HAS to have an heir to succeed him. He's not going to hide the person who is going to take the Atlantean throne and let some one else raise and train him, away from the Atlantean court. Especially given how close he and his mother were. His mother would be appalled. Beyond that, I think Namor would LOVE being a dad.

If you look at the images from that link of Cronin's article, you can see that Simonson leaves the father of the eggs a mystery. Next to last panel.

Found it! Or at least one of the comics I remember. It was in Saga of Sub-Mariner 12. The next to last panel. Namor clearly states they were the Plodex kids.

Of course, there's that other story that Cronin posted, so clearly, the editors are conflicted and not on the same page on this question.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Except that claim about Namor's supporting cast isn't true at all. Bob Harras, who followed John Byrne, used Namor's supporting cast extensively. Harras used Tiger Shark, Tamara, Lord Dara, Lord Seth, Vashti, Morel, Namorita, and Princess Fen.

Now, if he's talking about his surface world cast, perhaps, moreso, but even there, we have Jim Hammond, and Diane and Walter Newell. As for villains, Byrne even used Roxxon who the Atlanteans have encountered previously.

It's not that Namor doesn't have a supporting cast. It's that writers keep wanting to ignore the previous characters, so they can invent a new cast.

All that said, it seems Cronin is on a Namor kick. And I approve.

I remember that article too. Though it is probably packed away.
    Yeah, I checked and mine must be too. I have a box accessible with many old Marvel Age but the particular group from 1990 is missing so it must be somewhere else. If anyone has that article would be great to revisit it.

Yeah, I checked and mine must be too. I have a box accessible with many old Marvel Age but the particular group from 1990 is missing so it must be somewhere else. If anyone has that article would be great to revisit it.
    I tried to keep my Namor stuff in boxes that I could get to and unpack first ... but the movers had other ideas.

I'll see if I can find it online.