Page 50 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Wow, that guy's art is beautiful. I love that last Namor design and the 18 DAYS art. Absolutely gorgeous stuff. What would it take to get more guys like this to draw for Marvel?

Also, I just wanted to say, I read this thread a lot. You guys have lots of interesting talks here and I'm learning a lot of stuff about Namor. One of my favourite comic book characters is Aquaman (alongside Black Panther being #1) but I'm really interested in Namor as well. I don't know where exactly to start reading from but I read an Invaders issue (I've never read any Namor books). I'm quite interested in the character and it's nice to read what his fans to say, including the complaints about how his character has been handled.

I should also add, as a BP fan and knowing that including Namor in a BP sequel would most likely mean the great feats would go to T'Challa, I am totally against having Namor in it (it's just a rumour for now so I doubt it'll actually happen). I don't want a Wakanda vs Atlantis storyline. That to me just sounds like abandoning everything I thought made the first film special for some generic sci-fi/fantasy war film, which doesn't really appeal to me and doesn't like Coogler's thing also (sounds very studio mandated if you ask me and the last thing Marvel Studios wants to do is to tell Coogler what kind of movie he should make).

From the much I've read about Namor here, he would be better served in a Fantastic Four movie or Avengers movie as a character introduced, similar to BP and Spider-Man in Civil War. Or even better, his own solo film. While DC and Aquaman comparisons would be inevitable, there are ways to set him apart from Aquaman. Have a more serious toned movie. Make Marvel's Atlantis look darker and more mysterious, less colourful and high fantasy, and with an Asian/Middle Eastern meets steampunk vibe and aesthetic. Give Namor a bit more of a morally grey character but he shouldn't be a villain. Give him a confidence and edge to his character, but let the sense that he's just trying to do the right thing be there.

BP vs Namor would just be a wasted opportunity, unless it can possibly end with them earning each other's respect and aligning against a common foe. But I just think it's unnecessary. Both character deserve better than that, and including Namor just feels like adding too much to a wonderfully set up sequel and a lot more to explore regarding what BP has done and can do for the MCU.
    Totally agreed on the BP thing, and really having them fight wastes so much opportunity! Welcome to the thread and I have read Aquaman a bit in the past, I loved Oceanmaster's new 52 story line, especially with him meeting that surface woman Erin but sadly they ruined that with the 2018 Mera comic. I agree that visually Namor still has a lot to offer and they should totally go with a darker but still beautiful tone, the great thing about the ocean is we can have both lighter and darker elements when used properly, its not all dolphins and whales, there are a lot of deep creatures that could be shown.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I forgot to mention this comic actually in my initial post. Aside from Hickman's New Avengers Illuminati this is my other exposure to Namor. I really liked him here. The confidence and slight arrogance was all there but there was an endearing quality to it that made him so likable here, especially how he talks. Hickman's Namor is sometimes referred to as "******* Namor" and while I didn't have a problem with his portrayal, I think something more in line with Hudlin's take would be great.

Totally agreed on the BP thing, and really having them fight wastes so much opportunity! Welcome to the thread and I have read Aquaman a bit in the past, I loved Oceanmaster's new 52 story line, especially with him meeting that surface woman Erin but sadly they ruined that with the 2018 Mera comic. I agree that visually Namor still has a lot to offer and they should totally go with a darker but still beautiful tone, the great thing about the ocean is we can have both lighter and darker elements when used properly, its not all dolphins and whales, there are a lot of deep creatures that could be shown.
    Of course Atlantis should it ever be in the MCU should be beautiful like Wakanda, Asgard and DCEU Atlantis, but I certainly want that different approach. Wan chose this neon light-filled location with marine life inspired architecture which worked because the movie took a lot of inspiration from Geoff Johns New 52 run. I think MCU Atlantis should take the opposite direction. Basing the architectural language on Asian/Middle Eastern aesthetics and structures could give it a unique look, combining that with some steampunk and seapunk imagery and technology. Make it feel a bit more ancient, like it's aged and has actually been lived in and not just a perfectly rendered CGI environment. There should still be advanced technology of course, but it shouldn't fit the typical idea of what advanced technology is like. It should feel a bit old, if that makes sense. I checked out more of the guy's art talked about on the previous page and surprisingly he captures quite what I'm looking for.

Also are there any Namor stories and books you could recommend to get into the character? I'll have to note it down because I can't check them out immediately. Thanks for the welcome.
    Last edited by Blind Wedjat; 03-20-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I forgot to mention this comic actually in my initial post. Aside from Hickman's New Avengers Illuminati this is my other exposure to Namor. I really liked him here. The confidence and slight arrogance was all there but there was an endearing quality to it that made him so likable here, especially how he talks. Hickman's Namor is sometimes referred to as "******* Namor" and while I didn't have a problem with his portrayal, I think something more in line with Hudlin's take would be great.

Of course Atlantis should it ever be in the MCU should be beautiful like Wakanda, Asgard and DCEU Atlantis, but I certainly want that different approach. Wan chose this neon light-filled location with marine life inspired architecture which worked because the movie took a lot of inspiration from Geoff Johns New 52 run. I think MCU Atlantis should take the opposite direction. Basing the architectural language on Asian/Middle Eastern aesthetics and structures could give it a unique look, combining that with some steampunk and seapunk imagery and technology. Make it feel a bit more ancient, like it's aged and has actually been lived in and not just a perfectly rendered CGI environment. There should still be advanced technology of course, but it shouldn't fit the typical idea of what advanced technology is like. It should feel a bit old, if that makes sense.

Also are there any Namor stories and books you could recommend to get into the character? I'll have to note it down because I can't check them out immediately. Thanks for the welcome.
    I'm overexcited at the idea of steampunk and seapunk!!!I LOVE those so much! Especially the nautical steampunk creations, it would look so amazing!!! I agree that Namor needs a unique look and hope someday to see this. I do have some comic recs that could show you more of Namor without the impending gloom and Doom of Hickman's run. I don't have anything really against Hickman Namor but that definitely isn't the shakesperan silver age Namor, and whats more the situation the characters were in pushed everyone to their limits so I understand how the characters would be under pressure. I only real issue I have is Namor lying and sending someone else to get revenge for his people, I feel he would have done that himself and not bowed to Proxmia Midnight. The tension between T'challa and Namor was excellently written, however I wouldn't want that for every future comic so it's why I tend to say 'Don't put Namor in more Black Panther stuff'.

Sub-Mariner Comic Recs:

- Namor the First Mutant (2010) / Sub-Mariner (2007)

This comic series is really a good way to get to see the Namor in his own environment as a ruler of his people. Also is one of the more modern recent series that explores the character. It's the best if you want a more modern take on Namor. The 2007 comic deals with what happened after the 1st Civil War in the comics as Namor tries to reveal who has been killing surface dwellers in the name of Atlantis while facing opposition on all sides.

- Sub-Mariner Comics 70th Anniversary Special (2009)

Contains three stories, including the first sub-mariner comic, they really are the best, especially the first story.

- Fear Itself: The Deep (2011)

Namor loses his confidence. It's when Attuma gets a hammer and Namor teams up with Doctor Strange. (this was the one that was being talked about on twitter for DS2)

If you want Namor comics in a kind of order this I rec you read these since it starts with Namor being reintroduced in comics for the first time in Silver Age:

-Fantastic Four (#4 and 6) (1961) / Uncanny X-Men (#6) (1963) / Daredevil (#7) (1964) / Avengers (1963) #3-4

Classic Silver Age Namor: Namor regains his memories in FF #4 and in #6 teams up with Doctor Doom. In X-men he teams up with Magneto and in Daredevil he tries to sue the human race. Avengers include battles, him teaming up with the Hulk, and freeing Captain America from the ice.

-Tales to Astonish (Starting at #70)

Silver Age Namor! More Atlantis, Underwater Quests, and dealing with being a ruler of Atlantis.

-The Sub-Mariner (1968)

The Silver Age Sub-Mariner Comic, this is standard for every fan to read, and also for the first time in years after not having written Namor since the Golden Age, Bill Everett returns in the 50th issue.

-Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner (1984)

Namor travels to the surface world to attempt to make peace with the UN. (short series)

-Saga of the Sub-Mariner (1988)

You want a condensed history of Namor and everything that happened to him? This is what you should read, this comic series summarizes everything up until that point in the comics.

-Namor the Sub-Mariner (1990)

This is the 90’s Namor comic full of bulging muscles, tiny speedos, ponytails, and other things that made the 90’s well the 90’s. Namor's last long running series.

More comic recs:

-Sub-Mariner the Depths

I can’t not rec this comic, I love how creepy and scary they made Namor here and this story is told by a man who doesn’t believe in Atlantis. However be warned that there is very little Namor in this comic since he is more of a looming presence. This has a very dark setting.

-Defenders (2001); Defenders (2005); Fear Itself: The Deep (2011); Defenders (2012)

These comics mainly revolve around the Defenders, and is the more recent times that the Defenders got together other than the first main series: The Defenders (1972)

-What if? Sub-Mariner: What if the Sub-Mariner grew up on land?

True this is an AU comic where Namor grows up on land but it proves that no matter what his character is the same and it's written by Greg Pak!

-Marvel Comics Presents (2019) #1

A short comic written by Greg Pak (Who imo is the best writer for Namor) and this basically retcons why Namor had Amnesia form after the war until he was found by Johnny Storm.

-New Warriors (1990) #44

Namor comforts and supports Namorita, this comic gives me feels.

-Marvel Comics Presents (2007) #7

"Paying Respects": Namor grieves over the death of Namorita.

Marvel Comics Presents (1988) #33

The Sub-Mariner “Dying in Paradise”: This comic is silent, with no speaking words but it's absolutely one of my favorite Namor comics.

Namor and Invader stuff other than the main Invaders series:

1. Captain America and Namor (#635.1) (2012) / Captain America and Bucky (#622) (2011) / Winter Solider: Winter Kills (2006)

I combined these since he only makes cameos in them but so damn good.

2. Captain America (2005) #46-48

Bucky is captain america at this time and he recruits Namor for a mission.

3. Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty (#2-4) (1998)

This comic has: Namor and Steve and Jim.

edit: I LOVE Supervillain Team up series!!! I would rec that for Doom and Namor shenanigans!!!

Bonus: Marvels (1994); Tales of the Marvels: Inner Demons (1996); The Marvels Project (2009)

I’m going to be honest here and just say that every chance I get I try to chuck Marvels (1994) at people because it’s one of my favorite books. I love the art and while there is only a small focus on Namor as it details the history of Marvel as told by a reporter it is such a good book. Also Tales of the Marvels (1996) is told in the same way but through the eyes of a homeless drunk who had befriended Namor during the years that Namor had amnesia and lived on the streets of New York. The Marvels Project (2009) again this comic is told by another person during the golden age of heroes. The Angel narrates the rise of superheroes in this great comic.

(This is the list I came up with and have rec'ed to others before, but I combined it all here. I hope one day to sit down and make a very long comprehensive and extensive list of Sub-Mariner comics. I still haven't gone into his time with the x-men, or dark x-men, or cabal, the golden age, the 50's, or hickman's avengers etc.)

I hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask! Also if anyone else wants to add in their favorites please do!
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 03-20-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Rev! That comic cover you posted for Tuesday terrific covers reminded me that ages ago when that cover first came out I was a bit upset that Namor got North Carolina cause that makes ZERO sense and he at least should have gotten Hawaii cause its in the ocean so I made a comic edit of Namor in the real world/ocean instead:

The Original:

I had this whole thing where I wanted to put comic characters in the real world, but gave up on it cause I didn't have time.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Rev! That comic cover you posted for Tuesday terrific covers reminded me that ages ago when that cover first came out I was a bit upset that Namor got North Carolina cause that makes ZERO sense and he at least should have gotten Hawaii cause its in the ocean so I made a comic edit of Namor in the real world/ocean instead:

The Original:

I had this whole thing where I wanted to put comic characters in the real world, but gave up on it cause I didn't have time.

Ooooh. I love your edit. Reminds me of those Kirby and Buscema collage covers, like on Subby #7.

And yes, the North Carolina state was a head scratcher. Good point on Hawaii. And yes. FIFTY covers would have been a bit much. ; p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Ooooh. I love your edit. Reminds me of those Kirby and Buscema collage covers, like on Subby #7.

And yes, the North Carolina state was a head scratcher. Good point on Hawaii. And yes. FIFTY covers would have been a bit much. ; p
    Oh I had forgotten about that cover! It was an interesting one. At the time I had just seen a comic book trading card where Namor was set in the real world and said I would do that.

Oh I had forgotten about that cover! It was an interesting one. At the time I had just seen a comic book trading card where Namor was set in the real world and said I would do that.

For the longest time, probably because I'd only seen small scans of this card, I didn't realize it had a real world background. I don't think this was as popular set as some of the others, either, as I don't see this card often.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Was reading some older intreviews and came across this one with Alex Ross, and he wanted a Namor movie! Of course this was back in 2014 but I really wish we could have one. Ross has always drawn a great Namor, I loved the Invaders (2019) Namor on that cover. Link

You’ve got the keys to the Marvel or DC kingdoms to make any superhero film you want. Which one is it?

ROSS: Namor! That’s kind of where Marvel is headed after they get Doctor Strange up to speed. Namor is such a primary character, it’s going to take some special thought and attention. You’ve got to get someone that looks like an elf. Like Jamie Campbell Bower, the guy who played Arthur in the Starz Camelot series. Since he’s so young he’d still be right for the part when they finally get around to it in five years. All I care about as a fan is to see them translate from what worked on the page for decades. One of the best onscreen interpretations was The Rocketeer. It was the most pure, wearing the costume straight out of the book.

Was reading some older intreviews and came across this one with Alex Ross, and he wanted a Namor movie! Of course this was back in 2014 but I really wish we could have one. Ross has always drawn a great Namor, I loved the Invaders (2019) Namor on that cover. Link
    Thank goodness for Alex Ross and his good taste!

I agree with most of what he said there, especially with the "taking some special thought and attention" and the "looks like an elf." Jamie Cambell Bower, however, is a definite NO in my book. If they are going for the elf look, then he should look, and act, more like Thandruil.

Speaking of Ross, his Marvelocity exhibit is up at the museum near Chicago. I wish I could go see, but that doesn't look likely at the moment. However, from some images I've seen online, it has at least two Namor pieces.

If you look to the far right of the image, there's Dr. Strange and Namor! I don't remember seeing this one in the book at all. Thor-El, did you see it? Several of the paintings on this wall appeared in the huge fold out cover, but not this Namor. It has a Johnny Romita Sr. vibe to me.

https://twitter.com/DunnMuseum/statu...97832019939329

Plus, they had the wonderful series of panels from the Jack Kirby Iron Man fight in Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish.

https://twitter.com/thealexrossart/s...65253278158849

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I'm overexcited at the idea of steampunk and seapunk!!!I LOVE those so much! Especially the nautical steampunk creations, it would look so amazing!!! I agree that Namor needs a unique look and hope someday to see this. I do have some comic recs that could show you more of Namor without the impending gloom and Doom of Hickman's run. I don't have anything really against Hickman Namor but that definitely isn't the shakesperan silver age Namor, and whats more the situation the characters were in pushed everyone to their limits so I understand how the characters would be under pressure. I only real issue I have is Namor lying and sending someone else to get revenge for his people, I feel he would have done that himself and not bowed to Proxmia Midnight. The tension between T'challa and Namor was excellently written, however I wouldn't want that for every future comic so it's why I tend to say 'Don't put Namor in more Black Panther stuff'.

Sub-Mariner Comic Recs:

- Namor the First Mutant (2010) / Sub-Mariner (2007)

This comic series is really a good way to get to see the Namor in his own environment as a ruler of his people. Also is one of the more modern recent series that explores the character. It's the best if you want a more modern take on Namor. The 2007 comic deals with what happened after the 1st Civil War in the comics as Namor tries to reveal who has been killing surface dwellers in the name of Atlantis while facing opposition on all sides.

- Sub-Mariner Comics 70th Anniversary Special (2009)

Contains three stories, including the first sub-mariner comic, they really are the best, especially the first story.

- Fear Itself: The Deep (2011)

Namor loses his confidence. It's when Attuma gets a hammer and Namor teams up with Doctor Strange. (this was the one that was being talked about on twitter for DS2)

If you want Namor comics in a kind of order this I rec you read these since it starts with Namor being reintroduced in comics for the first time in Silver Age:

-Fantastic Four (#4 and 6) (1961) / Uncanny X-Men (#6) (1963) / Daredevil (#7) (1964) / Avengers (1963) #3-4

Classic Silver Age Namor: Namor regains his memories in FF #4 and in #6 teams up with Doctor Doom. In X-men he teams up with Magneto and in Daredevil he tries to sue the human race. Avengers include battles, him teaming up with the Hulk, and freeing Captain America from the ice.

-Tales to Astonish (Starting at #70)

Silver Age Namor! More Atlantis, Underwater Quests, and dealing with being a ruler of Atlantis.

-The Sub-Mariner (1968)

The Silver Age Sub-Mariner Comic, this is standard for every fan to read, and also for the first time in years after not having written Namor since the Golden Age, Bill Everett returns in the 50th issue.

-Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner (1984)

Namor travels to the surface world to attempt to make peace with the UN. (short series)

-Saga of the Sub-Mariner (1988)

You want a condensed history of Namor and everything that happened to him? This is what you should read, this comic series summarizes everything up until that point in the comics.

-Namor the Sub-Mariner (1990)

This is the 90’s Namor comic full of bulging muscles, tiny speedos, ponytails, and other things that made the 90’s well the 90’s. Namor's last long running series.

More comic recs:

-Sub-Mariner the Depths

I can’t not rec this comic, I love how creepy and scary they made Namor here and this story is told by a man who doesn’t believe in Atlantis. However be warned that there is very little Namor in this comic since he is more of a looming presence. This has a very dark setting.

-Defenders (2001); Defenders (2005); Fear Itself: The Deep (2011); Defenders (2012)

These comics mainly revolve around the Defenders, and is the more recent times that the Defenders got together other than the first main series: The Defenders (1972)

-What if? Sub-Mariner: What if the Sub-Mariner grew up on land?

True this is an AU comic where Namor grows up on land but it proves that no matter what his character is the same and it's written by Greg Pak!

-Marvel Comics Presents (2019) #1

A short comic written by Greg Pak (Who imo is the best writer for Namor) and this basically retcons why Namor had Amnesia form after the war until he was found by Johnny Storm.

-New Warriors (1990) #44

Namor comforts and supports Namorita, this comic gives me feels.

-Marvel Comics Presents (2007) #7

"Paying Respects": Namor grieves over the death of Namorita.

Marvel Comics Presents (1988) #33

The Sub-Mariner “Dying in Paradise”: This comic is silent, with no speaking words but it's absolutely one of my favorite Namor comics.

Namor and Invader stuff other than the main Invaders series:

1. Captain America and Namor (#635.1) (2012) / Captain America and Bucky (#622) (2011) / Winter Solider: Winter Kills (2006)

I combined these since he only makes cameos in them but so damn good.

2. Captain America (2005) #46-48

Bucky is captain america at this time and he recruits Namor for a mission.

3. Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty (#2-4) (1998)

This comic has: Namor and Steve and Jim.

edit: I LOVE Supervillain Team up series!!! I would rec that for Doom and Namor shenanigans!!!

Bonus: Marvels (1994); Tales of the Marvels: Inner Demons (1996); The Marvels Project (2009)

I’m going to be honest here and just say that every chance I get I try to chuck Marvels (1994) at people because it’s one of my favorite books. I love the art and while there is only a small focus on Namor as it details the history of Marvel as told by a reporter it is such a good book. Also Tales of the Marvels (1996) is told in the same way but through the eyes of a homeless drunk who had befriended Namor during the years that Namor had amnesia and lived on the streets of New York. The Marvels Project (2009) again this comic is told by another person during the golden age of heroes. The Angel narrates the rise of superheroes in this great comic.

(This is the list I came up with and have rec'ed to others before, but I combined it all here. I hope one day to sit down and make a very long comprehensive and extensive list of Sub-Mariner comics. I still haven't gone into his time with the x-men, or dark x-men, or cabal, the golden age, the 50's, or hickman's avengers etc.)

I hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask! Also if anyone else wants to add in their favorites please do!
    This is really helpful. Thank you!

Keep you eyes peeled for Amazon/Comixology sales as well. The Submariner Masterworks stuff usually drops to about $3 a pop when they do them.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Thank goodness for Alex Ross and his good taste!

I agree with most of what he said there, especially with the "taking some special thought and attention" and the "looks like an elf." Jamie Cambell Bower, however, is a definite NO in my book. If they are going for the elf look, then he should look, and act, more like Thandruil.
    I agree that Bower isn't the right actor and Thandruil totally had that 'im a king' attitude down XD. That ALex Ross namor vs iron piece is beautiful!!! I love his work and that other Namor look interesting but i think it doesn't really look like his usual style? I would love a chance to see these up close.

I agree that Bower isn't the right actor and Thandruil totally had that 'im a king' attitude down XD. That ALex Ross namor vs iron piece is beautiful!!! I love his work and that other Namor look interesting but i think it doesn't really look like his usual style? I would love a chance to see these up close.
    Me too! I think it will be up through September, but short of a miracle ... hey, isn't the Powerball lottery up to 625 million?

Well, looking at the solicitations, it appears I am wrong. Except for one brief mention in an issue of Avengers, I haven't seen Namor or the Atlanteans mentioned, or on any cover, in Jason Aaron's War of Realms event.

Part of me feels we have dodged a bullet, as I'm still not that confident in Aaron's version of Namor. OTOH, listening to the usual Marvel nonsense about how this event touches _every_ corner of the MU, while ignoring the 75% of the planet covered by water is beyond annoying. On the bright side, at least Atlantis won't be destroyed ... AGAIN, since it doesn't appear any of the villains are getting their feet wet. LOL!

Well, looking at the solicitations, it appears I am wrong. Except for one brief mention in an issue of Avengers, I haven't seen Namor or the Atlanteans mentioned, or on any cover, in Jason Aaron's War of Realms event.

Part of me feels we have dodged a bullet, as I'm still not that confident in Aaron's version of Namor. OTOH, listening to the usual Marvel nonsense about how this event touches _every_ corner of the MU, while ignoring the 75% of the planet covered by water is beyond annoying. On the bright side, at least Atlantis won't be destroyed ... AGAIN, since it doesn't appear any of the villains are getting their feet wet. LOL!
    THANK NEPTUNE. I've said it before but I am not at all pleased with how Aaron is treating Namor and the Atlanteans, so reading this makes me happy. The downside is that readers who do pick up war of realms will probably only get a cameo of Namor in a splash page somewhere, but it is a small price to pay for Aaron not dragging Atlantis more into the gutter. lol, he already destroyed Atlantis so destroying it twice would be over kill XD. Namor is getting far better focus in Invaders and so I'm putting my hope in that comic.