Page 106 of 182 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2721
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Invaders #8 preview link here!
    That was an awesome preview, awesome writing by Zdarsky and can't wait to read it.

Mighty Member

Marvel Mystery Comics #19 (May 1941). The Sub-Mariner being convinced by Betty Dean to fight Nazis, seven months before the US declared war against Germany. Art by Bill Everett.

Are there any interviews with Everett about his thoughts/ process of designing Namor?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Are there any interviews with Everett about his thoughts/ process of designing Namor?
    Yes, we discussed this years ago in the thread. I remember Alter Ego did a special on Bill Everett. There are a couple of issues dedicated to Namor and Everett.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I would recommend reading Fire & Water: The Bill Everett, The Sub-Mariner, and the Birth of Marvel Comics. There is some talk about Namor and his creation process too. A small clipping, sorry I don't have all my scans for this book available right now, but iirc there was more and also its a great book if you want to learn more about Bill.

Thor-El would you happen to have a link for that full special? I think I might have seen snippets of it, but I would like to read it.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Mighty Member

Thor-El would you happen to have a link for that full special? I think I might have seen snippets of it, but I would like to read it.

Sure thing, IW. The link is this and they have part of the magazine available online:

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=300

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Sure thing, IW. The link is this and they have part of the magazine available online:

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=300
    Thank you Thor-el!!!

I wish there was more regarding his thoughts on Namor's actual design. More akin to him explaing how the wings on Namor's feet are inspired by mythical Mercury/Hermes, which is obvious but I think somehow forgotten today. I'd really like to know, aside from the wings, how he came up with Namor's strange looks. I can't be certain, but it seems to me he'd have to have been leaning towards some sort of "elven" or "sprite" like inspiration initially. The weird features of Namor, the head shape, the pointed ears and strange brows and eyes all have a vaguely familiar look from illustration books with mythic supernatural goblins, pixies and elves etc from the late 1800s and early 1900s that Bill would have certainly been aware of.

It's also interesting to read in that partial interview that Bill's art could not sell Namor books in the silver age, which is so sad. His art was at it's peak in those years, but I guess during that time everyone was wild about the "Marvel Style".

Wow, I was away for a few weeks and now 10 pages to read here. Lots of good Namor thoughts.

I am sad Namor is not on the list of upcoming movies. Seems Marvel has made changes in their production list. The first time I heard of a Namor movie was over 30 years ago, so I have been waiting for a while!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Wow, I was away for a few weeks and now 10 pages to read here. Lots of good Namor thoughts.

I am sad Namor is not on the list of upcoming movies. Seems Marvel has made changes in their production list. The first time I heard of a Namor movie was over 30 years ago, so I have been waiting for a while!
    Glad to see you back Phoenixx9. As far as a Namor movie announcement, there has been going really strong rumors of him being the villain of Black Panther 2. I'm still holding up for some Namor concrete information in the MCU on D23 Expo 2019. They have said no more news other than Phase 4 but you never know.

Welcome back Phoenixx9!

I told Greg Pak that I loved his Namor writing on twitter, and he really is one of my favorite writers.

I don't have a question, just wanted to say; I really love your writing with my favorite character, Namor, and also I hope you get a chance to work on Sub-Mariner stories in the future.
    Greg Pak:

Thanks so much! Love Namor and have had a big Namor story in the back of my head for ages. Maybe some day!
    I hope Marvel can give him a chance someday soon, I would love to know what is his big Namor story.

Also an online mutual sent me some pics of Namor in Marvel Future Fight:

mff1.jpg

mff2.jpg

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Short mention for Namor towards the end together with the FF, Wave and Silver Surfer.

And…

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Welcome back Phoenixx9!

I told Greg Pak that I loved his Namor writing on twitter, and he really is one of my favorite writers.

Greg Pak:

I hope Marvel can give him a chance someday soon, I would love to know what is his big Namor story.
    That's so cool! You should retweet that to Tom Brevroot and C. B. Cebulski and whoever is the assistant editor on the Invaders book. Show them there are top writers with big ideas for a Namor ONGOING. Hmmm. Gives me ideas.

I've always thought Greg Pak had a soft spot for Namor, even he if he mainly does alt u Namors. His What If story and his recent Marvel Comics Presents story were amazing. His Toshiro Mifune half Japanese Namor, as well as his sea god Namor were cool, too. Though ... he was also a big Storm fan, and I don't think that worked out so well with his ongoing for her.

Someone who I think also likes Namor, and is aware of some obscure history, is Dennis Hopeless Hallum. He gave Namor a small role in Nara's history in Avengers Arena. He was the only one who used Namor in War of Realms. He did the Pietro Namor thing in Secret Wars House of M (though I think we can also thank Kris Anka for that). And digging deep, he used Pirate Namor in Spider-Woman's alt universe adventure! That was perfection, what with his relationship with Patience Drew!

Also an online mutual sent me some pics of Namor in Marvel Future Fight:

mff1.jpg

mff2.jpg
    I'm so glad they went with the classic speedo. I'm torn between this and Puzzle Quest as far as appearance. He looks a lot more grumpy and dangerous in MFF, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post

Short mention for Namor towards the end together with the FF, Wave and Silver Surfer.

And…

I LOVE all these game pics! Namor's entry into the games is really what we need to help grow the fandom.

Though, they are adding on powers for Namor. And yes, I consider hydrokinesis an add on, even if he has it now in the comics. I'm not sure how long that will last.

OTOH ... Gwenpool mini??? We can't we get even that for Namor this anniversary year?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Glad to see you back Phoenixx9. As far as a Namor movie announcement, there has been going really strong rumors of him being the villain of Black Panther 2. I'm still holding up for some Namor concrete information in the MCU on D23 Expo 2019. They have said no more news other than Phase 4 but you never know.
    Welcome back Phoenixx9!

mff1.jpg

mff2.jpg
    Thank you both. Glad to be back.

We really do need more Namor in the Marvel Universe, in movies and a good cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Someone who I think also likes Namor, and is aware of some obscure history, is Dennis Hopeless Hallum. He gave Namor a small role in Nara's history in Avengers Arena. He was the only one who used Namor in War of Realms. He did the Pietro Namor thing in Secret Wars House of M (though I think we can also thank Kris Anka for that). And digging deep, he used Pirate Namor in Spider-Woman's alt universe adventure! That was perfection, what with his relationship with Patience Drew!
    https://twitter.com/HopelessDent/sta...58685737562112

https://twitter.com/HopelessDent/sta...63081504169986

https://twitter.com/HopelessDent/sta...48754305658882
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate