Page 113 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 2721
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    IDK. I always thought once you have John Buscema doing the artwork, the comic would be considered an automatic classic.

When it comes to abusing middleweights, you shouldn't forget this all-time classic:
    LOL, I think Daredevil would be considered a bantamweight.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    So, which Namor series do you guys think was the best?:

Sub-Mariner Comics (1941)

Sub-Mariner (1968)

Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner (1984)

Saga of the Sub-Mariner (1988)

Namor the Sub-Mariner (1990)

Namor (2003)

Sub-Mariner Vol 2 (2007)

Sub-Mariner: The Depths (2008)

Namor: The First Mutant (2010)
    Sub-Mariner (1968) I would say definitely the Silver Age although I'm basing my response on the 60s cartoons which are what I know the most and which are taken straight from that period as I haven't read most of the silver age comics. Followed very close by the Golden Age. Namor from the Golden Age was a powerhouse, his popularity was enormous and he had a great sense of humor.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    So many veins.

I thought Isherwood was awesome, his was a great run that made the title my favorite comic at the time. Visually his Namor was awesome, big and powerful looking, the long hair was my only complaint. The stories also had classic villains like Llyra and old allies like Stingray and Triton.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Omar's Omnibus review of the Byrne / Jae Lee book is up!

These Omnibus are slick but so expensive!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Sub-Mariner (1968) I would say definitely the Silver Age although I'm basing my response on the 60s cartoons which are what I know the most and which are taken straight from that period as I haven't read most of the silver age comics. Followed very close by the Golden Age. Namor from the Golden Age was a powerhouse, his popularity was enormous and he had a great sense of humor.
    Yep, action-packed, exciting, and fun adventures indeed!

LOL, I think Daredevil would be considered a bantamweight.
    You have more knowledge about this than I do, so I'll take your word for it. Needless to say, I'll always love the ending of Daredevil #7 spoilers:
    (not only did Namor give his respect to him, but he flew off to sea to avoid harming innocents just to appease poor ol' DD).
    end of spoilers

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

It looks like Wave will be coming to Atlantis soon in Aero #5

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I've also seen 1922 -- which makes more sense, IMO.
    I'm rather fond of this. I first heard it years ago, possibly early '80s, in a fan magazine. The idea was Namor's birthdate was

2/22/1922

Of course in Astrology that makes him a Pisces - water!

But in Numerology '2's are also watery/emotion based. Namor is the archetype of "the lover" as well as everything else. but yeah 1922 works for me

Mighty Member

You have more knowledge about this than I do, so I'll take your word for it. Needless to say, I'll always love the ending of Daredevil #7 spoilers:
    (not only did Namor give his respect to him, but he flew off to sea to avoid harming innocents just to appease poor ol' DD).
    end of spoilers
    That's the Namor that should be written, respectful and compassionate. Wasn't that issue written by Everett? If so it makes sense. Namor started in the golden age as a terrible abusive metahuman with total disregard to human lives, but as he get to know Betty Dean and other surface dwellers changed totally his demeanor. An evolution that was kept by Stan Lee but that modern writers totally ignore. Thankfully it seems like Zdarsky is taking this into account and trying to clean up the slate.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I'm rather fond of this. I first heard it years ago, possibly early '80s, in a fan magazine. The idea was Namor's birthdate was

2/22/1922

But in Numerology '2's are also watery/emotion based. Namor is the archetype of "the lover" as well as everything else. but yeah 1922 works for me
    I like the 2/22/22 birthday more, and how I would explain it is that even though Fen and Leo met in 1920, it could have been in the late 1920 like december or whatever. In the Defenders where Namor talks about his mom, it was hinted she and Leo spent more time together than initially said in other sources (they said a few weeks but maybe it was more like a few months), so she could have been having adventures for a yearish and then gotten pregnant with Namor in 1921 and given birth in feb. 22, 1922. That's if Atlanteans have the same gestation time period as humans of course if not then she might have been pregnant longer. thats my theory anyways.

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

When it comes to abusing middleweights, you shouldn't forget this all-time classic:
    end of spoilers
    I have the postcard of this cover on my desk at work!

That is indeed one of the great stories of Marvel and the first time we see DD in the red suit, IIRC. It is one of my favorite Namor stories, for many reasons. It consistently reprinted as one of Stan Lee's / Marvel's best. It was one of the few non-Namor books reprinted in Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner. I think CBR voted panels from in their Top Marvel Comic Panels. I think all modern comic writers should read it, cause it shows exactly how to write a guest character. None of this trashing the guest character to show how awesome another character and how they can beat anyone. This story respected both characters, and showed the best of both them. Daredevil lost the fight, as he should have, but he won every reader's heart and proved himself the true hero. An absolutely perfect end to their fight.

The sad reminder of this book, for me, however, is that Wally Wood was supposed to be the artist on Namor's stories in Tales to Astonish, but a falling out with Stan, prompted his leaving Marvel before that happened.

That's the Namor that should be written, respectful and compassionate. Wasn't that issue written by Everett? If so it makes sense. Namor started in the golden age as a terrible abusive metahuman with total disregard to human lives, but as he get to know Betty Dean and other surface dwellers changed totally his demeanor. An evolution that was kept by Stan Lee but that modern writers totally ignore. Thankfully it seems like Zdarsky is taking this into account and trying to clean up the slate.
    No, it was written by Stan Lee. In fact, it is supposed to be one of Stan Lee's favorite stories.

https://www.digitalspy.com/comics/a5...ic-book-story/

I agree, in this issue we get an understanding for Namor's actions, and Stan never forgets to emphasize Namor's innate nobility ... even if he has a problem with doors. LOL!

This issue is just FILLED with so much awesome.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

I have the postcard of this cover on my desk at work!

That is indeed one of the great stories of Marvel and the first time we see DD in the red suit, IIRC. It is one of my favorite Namor stories, for many reasons. It consistently reprinted as one of Stan Lee's / Marvel's best. It was one of the few non-Namor books reprinted in Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner. I think CBR voted panels from in their Top Marvel Comic Panels. I think all modern comic writers should read it, cause it shows exactly how to write a guest character. None of this trashing the guest character to show how awesome another character and how they can beat anyone. This story respected both characters, and showed the best of both them. Daredevil lost the fight, as he should have, but he won every reader's heart and proved himself the true hero. An absolutely perfect end to their fight.

The sad reminder of this book, for me, however, is that Wally Wood was supposed to be the artist on Namor's stories in Tales to Astonish, but a falling out with Stan, prompted his leaving Marvel before that happened.

No, it was written by Stan Lee. In fact, it is supposed to be one of Stan Lee's favorite stories.

https://www.digitalspy.com/comics/a5...ic-book-story/

I agree, in this issue we get an understanding for Namor's actions, and Stan never forgets to emphasize Namor's innate nobility ... even if he has a problem with doors. LOL!

This issue is just FILLED with so much awesome.
    Ah, yes, after I posted I googled the issue and realized it was Lee writing. Imagine this story coming up today and Namor losing to Daredevil just to promote the character with the TV series. Power levels depend now more on MCU popularity or agenda. I cry everytime Thor gets trashed by another hero or every time another character ends up picking up Mjolnir. It's real sad. Same with Namor, who used to be part of every major crossover or event and now we dont even get a mini or an ongoing series to celebrate his 80 years.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

IDK. I always thought once you have John Buscema doing the artwork, the comic would be considered an automatic classic.

I think it is probably one of the best of stories from the Silver Age for both of them. Stan was pretty good at making both characters look good in those lopsided fights like the Thing vs Hulk

True story.... My Dad used to buy us comic books at the local Rexall Drugs since I predate comic book shops by an unmentionable number of years. After I graduated high school and got a job I bought comics on my own. I went to the usual Rexall store and saw some Daredevil #7's in the spinner rack. By this point the Daredevils my Dad got for us were done by John Romita Sr and then Gene Colan. I was mystified as to why these showed up at the store. And it looked brand spanking new. Of course, there was no internet back then. I just figured they shipped some extras that were found in some warehouse. My younger brother probably still has this in the long boxes in his basement. He's the only one in my family that has room for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

2/22/1922

Same here! I loved the date and agreed with it when I first heard it in the '80's.

Now based on this, I believe Atlantians usually live till around 120 years. Namor, Namora, Namorita and possibly another dozen or so Atlantians will probably have a much longer lifespan.

Mighty Member

I might be wrong but I think Marvel might have found its Namor:

https://www.cbr.com/game-of-thrones-...atic-universe/