Page 124 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2721
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Imperius Wrecks' request for recommendations has me updating the Reccomendations and Collected Editions post at the beginning of the thread. Thanks IW. ;p

However, it also reminded me, if anyone is looking for a definitive Namor reading guide, you can't go wrong referring them to Crushing Krisis page.

https://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-...raphic-novels/
    That Crushing Krisis guide is what helped me read more namor comics! and cool! I'm glad to do this to help out people who might be interested in Namor but just don't know where to start. and you're welcome!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I suppose it’s not too surprising considering this was an era that was very focused on supporting the war effort to the point that artists didn’t fully consider certain... depictions.

It wasn't just the artists, it was the general public. There was a lot going on that time that we find unacceptable now.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    When did this happen?
    It was Remender's Uncanny Avengers run. It may have been an alternate timeline thing, but there was something that was supposed to pull all the mutants off Earth, but there was Namor, right on panel, left with with non-mutant superheroes to fight some threat, instead of being swept up with the rest of the mutants.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

It wasn't just the artists, it was the general public. There was a lot going on that time that we find unacceptable now.
    I know, though regardless of how much we find it to be unacceptable now, and however many there were in those times that found it unacceptable then, that evidently still didn't stop writers from doing anti-Japanese antagonism with characters like the Sub-Mariner.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I know, though regardless of how much we find it to be unacceptable now, and however many there were in those times that found it unacceptable then, that evidently still didn't stop writers from doing anti-Japanese antagonism with characters like the Sub-Mariner.
    Practically everyone found it acceptable back then, so I'm not sure why artists back then would feel differently, especially in the middle of a war when they were basically making propaganda with all the Golden Age comic characters, like Captain America and Torch, etc. That's why I added the caveat that Golden Age comics can be a lot of fun, but during the war years, there definitely is going to be some racist elements that are not fun. And in the 1950s you have the 'Red Scare.'
    Last edited by Reviresco; 09-15-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Practically everyone found it acceptable back then, so I'm not sure why artists back then would feel differently, especially in the middle of a war when they were basically making propaganda with all the Golden Age comic characters, like Captain America and Torch, etc. That's why I added the caveat that Golden Age comics can be a lot of fun, but during the war years, there definitely is going to be some racist elements that are not fun.
    Well, not that there haven't been foolishly racist comic writers after the Golden Age, but yeah, I totally get what you mean.

History of the Marvel Universe 3 preview with the famous shaving scene. Sadly with the weird inclusion of John Byrne's theory and the exclusion of Atlantis being nuclear bombed by the surface world. SMH

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...rse-3-preview/

History of the Marvel Universe 3 preview with the famous shaving scene. Sadly with the weird inclusion of John Byrne's theory and the exclusion of Atlantis being nuclear bombed by the surface world. SMH
    Yeah, I've no doubt Atlantis got nuclear bombed at some point during Namor's state of amnesia. I could go either way about his chemical imbalance though.

lol, yet another shaving scene, how many does this make?! we could do a thread with shaving scenes, lol. I honestly wish that Zdarsky had done something to tweak that Bryne explanation in Invaders.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    lol, yet another shaving scene, how many does this make?! we could do a thread with shaving scenes, lol. I honestly wish that Zdarsky had done something to tweak that Bryne explanation in Invaders.
    It's iconic in Marvel. Heck, even outside of Marvel. Warren Ellis had a homage panel in Planetary.

God, no. I have finally figured out exactly what bothers me about the Byrne and Zdarsky explanations ... just trying to put a post together about it.

I am creating a comic reading guide, something that can be passed around, screenshotted and saved for people who dont want to copy whole lists. I do have an essential comics, recommended comics, and solo comics sections as well as sections for each major team namor has been on, avengers, invaders, defenders, cabal, illuminati, xmen, and the fantastic four (i really dislike namor/sue but feel that i should include the time namor joined the FF) however whatever comics you think people would enjoy, its not a full extensive list but more of an easy jumping off point, its 2 pages long, unfinished example below:

Attachment 86991
    Back to this project ....

I wouldn't put any of the Golden Age comics under the Solo title, because all of those comics were anthology comics, even Subby's own title had other character stories in them, like Torch or Blonde Phantom.

You could list the Namor the First Mutant annual under Escape From the Negative Zone (across 3 annuals), if you need more space.

You could add the OGN Emperor Doom to your SVTU list.

I would also recommend Avengers Invaders 3, because it's TWO Namors!

Mighty Member

I wouldn't put any of the Golden Age comics under the Solo title, because all of those comics were anthology comics, even Subby's own title had other character stories in them, like Torch or Blonde Phantom.

You could list the Namor the First Mutant annual under Escape From the Negative Zone (across 3 annuals), if you need more space.

As you know Namor was being published in 4 different titles during the golden age. Marvel Mystery Comics, his own solo title Sub-mariner Comics, All Winners Comics, and Human Torch. Even though it is an anthology I tend to think of these comics as solo Sub-mariner, because the adventures concentrate fully on the character, much more than many of the comics included in that list were Namor is simply one of the cast. I think Sub-mariner comics even included 2 Namor stories in each issue. In a way these anthologies remind me of the way Captain Britain was published in the UK were he shared his comic with other Marvel heroes backup stories, mainly reprints though.

Oh I almost forgot Emperor Doom! I will add that for sure, and I do have the Avengers/Invaders series on the second page which is focused on Namor on the Team, do you have any recs for FF comics of Namor? Or more modern Namor comics? I am trying to add as much as I can with issues focused mainly on Namor. I want to also add the Alpha Flight/Avengers arc where Namor was married to Marrina. So far the ON THE TEAM list has sections for: Invaders, Defenders, Avengers, X-Men, FF, Cabal, Illuminati. Am I missing any other significant teams?

It's iconic in Marvel. Heck, even outside of Marvel. Warren Ellis had a homage panel in Planetary.

God, no. I have finally figured out exactly what bothers me about the Byrne and Zdarsky explanations ... just trying to put a post together about it.
    Looking forward to your thoughts Rev!

As you know Namor was being published in 4 different titles during the golden age. Marvel Mystery Comics, his own solo title Sub-mariner Comics, All Winners Comics, and Human Torch. Even though it is an anthology I tend to think of these comics as solo Sub-mariner, because the adventures concentrate fully on the character, much more than many of the comics included in that list were Namor is simply one of the cast. I think Sub-mariner comics even included 2 Namor stories in each issue. In a way these anthologies remind me of the way Captain Britain was published in the UK were he shared his comic with other Marvel heroes backup stories, mainly reprints though.
    I do want to include Golden Age comics (but mostly the important ones since i know Marvel doesnt always consider them canon), and I tend to think of them as I do the Tales to Astonish series where Namor shared a comic with Hulk but they each had their own stories and I think Tales to Astonish is Important to read because it leads into The Sub-Mariner 1968.

I haven't seen any UK comics, but that sounds like what the Golden Age books were like. And I think you are correct, in that the Sub-Mariner Golden Age book, Namor might have had two stories. But this is why I LOVE the new Timely's Greatest Omnibus, because they give you just the Namor stories. And my copy arrived today!!! It is gorgeous! On a quick glance it includes covers and the advertisements too! My only complaint is that the paper is thinner than I would like. I think the previous Golden Age omnibus, and the Marvel Masterworks have much thicker paper. I think it has a couple of Marvel Mystery Comics stories that weren't previously in print, as it draws from MMC 29-31, and the last Marvel Masterworks went up to MMC 28.

Oh I almost forgot Emperor Doom! I will add that for sure, and I do have the Avengers/Invaders series on the second page which is focused on Namor on the Team, do you have any recs for FF comics of Namor? Or more modern Namor comics? I am trying to add as much as I can with issues focused mainly on Namor. I want to also add the Alpha Flight/Avengers arc where Namor was married to Marrina. So far the ON THE TEAM list has sections for: Invaders, Defenders, Avengers, X-Men, FF, Cabal, Illuminati. Am I missing any other significant teams?
    All Winners.
    There's two versions of the Cabal. Do they need to be distinguished?

I do want to include Golden Age comics (but mostly the important ones since i know Marvel doesnt always consider them canon), and I tend to think of them as I do the Tales to Astonish series where Namor shared a comic with Hulk but they each had their own stories and I think Tales to Astonish is Important to read because it leads into The Sub-Mariner 1968.
    Yes, I don't consider Tales to Astonish an anthology book, per se, but a split book. In the Marvel Masterworks reprints, they only give you the Namor half of the book. I definitely think of it as Namor's first 'solo' book in the Silver Age, which leads into his own, self-titled book.