Page 142 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 2721

I have no idea what that artist was thinking when pushing Namor's design to such a weird, almost abstract level, while keeping everything else in the comic at the comic book norm. Some of the Golden Age artists liked to exaggerate the elvish look of Namor, but no one as mush as that artist.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

And now for a Sal Buscema page that may be never reprinted due to licensing issues: Namor and Rom vs. the Seaweed Man (Rom #35, October 1982):

Last edited by Electricmastro; 10-22-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Bleeding Cool needs to hire new writers, how the hell would Namor ever be in "Climate Change denial" ? Seriously? Namor never even said anything like that! He only said that he didn't have time to clean up human messes because his people are fighting.

link

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Bleeding Cool needs to hire new writers, how the hell would Namor ever be in "Climate Change denial" ? Seriously? Namor never even said anything like that! He only said that he didn't have time to clean up human messes because his people are fighting.

link
    Jude Terror's whole thing is that he's a troll. He's not being serious.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Oh wow, Namor's head in 1946's All Winners Comics #18.

Kill it! Kill it with fire!!!!

He looks like he was blasted with some mad scientist's ray that turned his head into a funhouse mirror version of itself!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Didn't Namor have limited shape-shifting powers by imitating any marine animal's form? I know he once blew himself up like a puffer fish fighting Johnny Storm. Maybe he tried to imitate a hammerhead shark and was only partly successful.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Solicitations are up! Here's the two new covers with Namor.

TAROT #2 (of 4)

ALAN DAVIS (W) • PAUL RENAUD (A/C)
    Variant Cover by ALAN DAVIS
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    Avenger vs Defender as the alchemist Diablo casts another card from the deck of fate, pitting hero against hero for his own nefarious purposes!
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Oh wow, Namor's head in 1946's All Winners Comics #18.
    OMG. Nooooooo!

I think we may need to put this in the horrifying Maleev category where it has to be behind a cut to save us and our eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    That was an interesting look. Namor REALLY looked like a mutant. I always thought his face looked like a Manta Ray in this artist's style.
    Interesting? Thor-El you are the soul of tact. LOL!

Arrgghh my eyes! stop posting alien head namor!!! (just kidding, but wow that was sure something, lol)
    Nope, nope. I'll vote for not posting Alien Head Namor. LOL!

Yeah, Roy Thomas had this to say:

"When Bill Everett joined the army in 1942, his major successor as Sub-Mariner artist was Carl Pfeufer. Pfeufer soon evolved Namor's musculature and vaguely triangular head to almost grotesque proportions, but basically filled Bill's shoes admirably.
    Grotesque is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I have no idea what that artist was thinking when pushing Namor's design to such a weird, almost abstract level, while keeping everything else in the comic at the comic book norm. Some of the Golden Age artists liked to exaggerate the elvish look of Namor, but no one as mush as that artist.
    Now you've got me thinking I need to go find some info on this guy. There's got to be a reason WHY he went to such extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Kill it! Kill it with fire!!!!

He looks like he was blasted with some mad scientist's ray that turned his head into a funhouse mirror version of itself!
    QFT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Didn't Namor have limited shape-shifting powers by imitating any marine animal's form? I know he once blew himself up like a puffer fish fighting Johnny Storm. Maybe he tried to imitate a hammerhead shark and was only partly successful.
    Stan Lee tried that power out for Namor in the Silver Age, but thankfully, it went away almost immediately.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Rev you missed variant for Tarot #2 by Alan Davis with a very savage Sub-mariner on the foreground! How I wish it was Alan Davis doing the interior artwork!!

Those covers look great. The artwork seems to be covered that it is good, let us hope that the story is as well. I need me some new-old Avengers-Defenders stories!!

Rev you missed variant for Tarot #2 by Alan Davis with a very savage Sub-mariner on the foreground! How I wish it was Alan Davis doing the interior artwork!!
    OMG. Was that with the solicitations? I must be going blind to have missed that one.

I do love Namor up front and angry.

Reminds me, I finally got my Byrne and Jae Lee Namor omnibus. It is gorgeous. But the back says something like "Suave, Sophisticated ...SAVAGE!" And I thought, this is actually true, especially for this book. Only Namor can pull off that dichotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Those covers look great. The artwork seems to be covered that it is good, let us hope that the story is as well. I need me some new-old Avengers-Defenders stories!!
    Me too! Everything is still packed up. May have to check with the library for a copy of Avengers Defenders War, because I'm definitely reading it again before this comes out.

I started another Namor blog on the new site Pillowfort, the site there is still small and not many people are on the site since it's still in beta however they say it will soon be out of beta. Either way I thought it would be good to have a Namor focused blog there.

https://www.pillowfort.social/ImperiusRex
    Awesome blog! Thank you I.W.

Agreeing with Thor-El again. That Pillowfort blog is looking great! I like the format you are choosing for your reviews. And your support of our beloved Prince is awesome! I've only one question. When do you sleep?

So that awesome Alex Ross poster we had at the beginning of the year for Invaders 2019 had a classic Invaders comic artwork for inspiration showing the cannon blast going into Namor's chest and the swastika in the middle.

Great to see these two images together! Thanks for posting them, Thor-El.

I just love Alex Ross's Namor, he always does him right and also gives him the most beautiful wings. Marvels is classic and any cover by him is gorgeous. Remember those Avengers/Invaders covers? I really wish we could get an ongoing Namor series like Immortal Hulk and have Ross doing all the cover art.
    The Avengers Invaders covers were pretty amazing. I think it's interesting how Ross draws / paints Namor as both as a young man and as a mature man. His Golden Age Namor is leaner, while his present day Namor is heavier and far more muscular. Not many artists take his physical age into consideration.

My wish art team for a Namor ongoing would be Alex Ross on covers and Ed McGuinness and Ariel Olivetti as rotating art team. A Defenders by Mc Guinness would be awesome too.
    I'm not surprised that McGuinness and Olivetti are some of your favorite Namors, Thor-El. They do draw the MUSCLES!

Speaking of Alex Ross ... this news about a new mini-series he's 'curating' was on Bleeding Cool.

Marvel Anthology, a new six-issue series co-written and curated by Alex Ross, with the first issue drawn by him as well. And bringing in his own favourite artists for the subsequent five issues, within a framing story by Steve Darnell. A thematic sequel to his work with Kurt Busiek on Marvels, it will focus on Ross’ favourite comic book creations from Marvel.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...at-mcm-london/

The first cover is a remake of Marvel Comics #1. Dare we hope he'll do a Namor story for this issue? Twitter users might want to send him our Namor requests now. ;p

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Great to see these two images together! Thanks for posting them, Thor-El.

The Avengers Invaders covers were pretty amazing. I think it's interesting how Ross draws / paints Namor as both as a young man and as a mature man. His Golden Age Namor is leaner, while his present day Namor is heavier and far more muscular. Not many artists take his physical age into consideration.

I'm not surprised that McGuinness and Olivetti are some of your favorite Namors, Thor-El. They do draw the MUSCLES!
    LOL, you know me girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Speaking of Alex Ross ... this news about a new mini-series he's 'curating' was on Bleeding Cool.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...at-mcm-london/

The first cover is a remake of Marvel Comics #1. Dare we hope he'll do a Namor story for this issue? Twitter users might want to send him our Namor requests now. ;p
    Just left my message to Ross in twitter.

"Any chance you will do some justice to the Sub-mariner and figure him prominently in these series? For being the most prevalent and the oldest Marvel Hero from all Marvel characters staple sure Marvel hasn't done enough to celebrate his 80 years."

link

This is kinda ridiculous. Namor has had countless "attack the world because of toxic pollution" stories. If I were writing Sub-Mariner it would be more of a challenge to find new ways for Namor to confront human pollution and destruction, not for him to just confront it at all, he's done that many times. Namor needs new villains, particularly in the pacific and the asian nations, like India, China, Indonesia and Japan. India and China are the world's biggest polluters in terms of river and ocean waste. Imagine Namor responding to Chinese waste and the CCP unveiling a new deterrent in the form of some kind of super powered agent of their own. Or Namor violently confronting Japan over wild tuna and whale depletion and Japan having to send out Sunfire or some other deterrent. There could be lots of international tension and high stakes over issues like this.