Page 146 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2721
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Since we are on the subject of Namor cooking, I remembered a few other panels where Namor would catch food and bring them for his friends to eat! I love that Namor cooks for them sometimes. lol

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Yeah, there was a penciled page shown, maybe originally on the artist's twitter I'm not sure, over in the Hulk thread. I mentioned here in the thread a while back.

I love how Hercules admits, in that old Avengers issue, that he started a slugfest with Namor simply because he looked down and wanted to cheer Namor up. They also have a clambake at night on the beach at the end with the other Avengers.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I love how Hercules admits, in that old Avengers issue, that he started a slugfest with Namor simply because he looked down and wanted to cheer Namor up. They also have a clambake at night on the beach at the end with the other Avengers.
    The GIFT!! I love that issue.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    AHHHH slight spoiler/preview for IMMORTAL HULK #26 but this has to be Namor!!!

The ears are covered! I was posting about how this might be Namor and how it probably wasn't because Namor didn't know his dad well but he might have gotten his dad's old things including recipes and one person on my blog pointed out the diner's name which i had missed! I can't wait for this issue!
    So, is this an alternate universe?

Yes, I did notice the nod to Bill Everett. Plus the scallop shells, like on Namor's belt, on the chef's head covering.

Boy, who wouldn't want Namor cooking fresh caught seafood for them? Diane Arliss Newell has it right. YUM!
    Last edited by Reviresco; 11-04-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

How do you suppose Atlantean cuisine is prepared? How does one cook underwater?

Year of the Villain: Black Adam, and the Case Against Superhero Monarchs

So, here's an article on CBR that argues that at this time, we shouldn't have any ruling kings as superheroes, cause ... well, it gets ... let's be nice and say murky, concerning the reasoning. It's mostly about the recent Black Adam (who I consider heavily influenced by Namor) issue, but here are some assertions the author makes about Namor specifically.

Why is it, then, that in 2019 -- and for much of comic book history -- do we have so many superheroes with absolute power over the people they were initially created to protect? As benevolent and inspiring and heroic as they are, noted good guys Black Panther, Aquaman and Namor are often depicted as the monarchs of their respective societies. Regardless of how good they look, they still wield power that goes against everything the superhero was meant to represent.
    Heroes like Aquaman, Namor and Black Panther may show themselves to be fair and compassionate rulers, but at best they are supporting a problematic ruling system and at worst they are totally negligent of their duties. All three spend so much time running around the world and punching super-powered bad guys that it's hard to see how they have any time to actually rule justly over their people, or assure that future generations will continue to prosper.
    Namor is so aggressive to the outside world that he endangers his people by making them a target.
    Needless to say, I disagree with quite a few of the premises and assertions made by this author, and seems to miss the point as far as Namor is concerned. I, for one, am tired of seeing Namor separated from his kingdom. But what do you guys think? Do you think Namor should be dethroned, again, and Atlantis suffer a change in government type?

Hmmm.

Well, given the importance of fire to civilizations, the Atlanteans must have come up with an alternative, that may have allowed them to cook their food in a manner we are more familiar with.

Alternatively, they are big into raw foods.

Perhaps they do something something subtle, like pair different flavors / types of food, to 'flavor' their food.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Hmmm.

Well, given the importance of fire to civilizations, the Atlanteans must have come up with an alternative, that may have allowed them to cook their food in a manner we are more familiar with.

Alternatively, they are big into raw foods.

Perhaps they do something something subtle, like pair different flavors / types of food, to 'flavor' their food.
    There are certainly ways to create intense heat underwater, there are thermal vents and even lava eruptions in the sea, just no flame. I'm sure they would have come up with something, but man, just imagine trying to mix ingredients underwater lol

ONe of my favorite issues!!! I really loved the issues with Herc and Namor, it's always entertaining when they are together.

So, is this an alternate universe?

Yes, I did notice the nod to Bill Everett. Plus the scallop shells, like on Namor's belt, on the chef's head covering.

Boy, who wouldn't want Namor cooking fresh caught seafood for them? Diane Arliss Newell has it right. YUM!
    I'm not sure it is a alternate universe because Amadeus Cho was there in a later panel? well we will have to see when it comes out.

I've always thought that Atlanteans eat things raw and that their bodies are designed for it. However one could say they used hot magma via hydrothermal vents in the ocean or replicated them for heating/cooking food?

So, here's an article on CBR that argues that at this time, we shouldn't have any ruling kings as superheroes, cause ... well, it gets ... let's be nice and say murky, concerning the reasoning. It's mostly about the recent Black Adam (who I consider heavily influenced by Namor) issue, but here are some assertions the author makes about Namor specifically.

Needless to say, I disagree with quite a few of the premises and assertions made by this author, and seems to miss the point as far as Namor is concerned. I, for one, am tired of seeing Namor separated from his kingdom. But what do you guys think? Do you think Namor should be dethroned, again, and Atlantis suffer a change in government type?
    I think its crap to be perfectly honest. Black Adam was always a villain, Namor was an anti hero and Black Panther a hero. The difference lies in how the monarch treats their people, Namor and T'challa grew up in their respective kingdoms with a sense of duty and honor to protect their people, they would never ask their people blindly obey them and let them live in squalor. ( i admit i do not know much of black adam other than the obvious Namor inspirations the character has so correct me if im wrong)

The problem of WHY Namor is having a hard time with a solo is BECAUSE he is always dethroned! He is always being kicked out, he doesn't just leave his kingdom for no reason and how many times has Namor left a team to rush back to his people? so many. Anyways no, being a prince/king has always been important to Namor's story and dethroning him AGAIN is not the answer, proper storylines and giving Namor and his comics worldbuilding and TIME to have a new fanbase grow is the answer. There is a clear reason of why a descendant of Neptune must be on the throne, royal blood is important in the magical sense with Atlantis. Even so Namor leaves willingly enough if his people don't want him so he isn't a tyrant no matter how many times Marvel tries to make him one.

There are certainly ways to create intense heat underwater, there are thermal vents and even lava eruptions in the sea, just no flame. I'm sure they would have come up with something, but man, just imagine trying to mix ingredients underwater lol
    Oh wow. Didn't even think of that. But yes, mixing ingredients would be horrible. Certainly there wouldn't be any sauces!

Right! Good call on the thermal vents.

Mighty Member

Since we are on the subject of Namor cooking, I remembered a few other panels where Namor would catch food and bring them for his friends to eat! I love that Namor cooks for them sometimes. lol

Is that Jane Foster?

Mighty Member

In a way I think being a king conflicts with being a superhero and adventurer. In a Namor ongoing I think we would need to eventually get Namor to abdicate the throne and leave it to someone like Vashti maybe or Namora but I wouldn't like it to be that he is removed but him voluntarily abdicates. Him stopping being king and leaving the throne from time to time gave freedom and space for his adventures away from Atlantis during the silver age, and then during the 80's to be an Avenger.

Its a lot easier to be a prince and an adventurer because prince is in line to be king and the time to be a superhero is more justified, not as much responsibility. I think that Thor and Sub-mariner both work better as prince than kings. Also kings are easily vilified, specially in heroic adventure stories. For example in Conan's adventures most kings are ambitious and villainous.

Unless you have a series centered on Atlantis and Namor as a ruler and defender of the kingdom, much like the tv cartoons and Tales of Suspense. I think him being the king (even though he was called prince) did work fine cause he was always defending Atlantis and his people so you could see that he was actively working as king and protector. But I also see the point of the writer that complains about monarchy its just that in fiction we can ignore reality and simply have it as a story element without thinking that we are promoting monarchy too much.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 11-05-2019 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Is that Jane Foster?
    YES! It's from Thor the Mighty Avenger #5. One of my favorite Namor cameos! He and Thor team up.

Mighty Member

YES! It's from Thor the Mighty Avenger #5. One of my favorite Namor cameos! He and Thor team up.
    I need to check that series out. For some reason, must be the artist style but they all look like college kids in cosplay.