Page 100 of 182 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2721
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Yes, it is. Those 5 to me should be The Avengers roster that never leaves, yes including Namor.
    Well, with those powerhouses, they could certainly beat up just about any villain!

I've never thought of Hulk as an Avenger, to be honest, because until the movies, he had only appeared in the first couple of issues. He's always been a Defender to me.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I don't know about that. Fans sometimes make a bigger deal out of "synergy" than the comics actually do. I'm certainly not saying that it hasn't influenced things in the comics sometimes, or that there is no reason for concern....but its pretty rare that everything that has been established about a character has been thrown away to try and line up with the movie or tv portrayal. If anything, I think the comics have started to ease back from that a bit in recent years.
    Perhaps not _everything_ but we've certainly seen some drastic changes ... like poor Nick Fury. His entire history wasn't thrown away, but it was heavily altered, and then the original character was thrown away, for the most ham-fisted insertion of MCU version of Nick Fury. I hope you are right about the synergy easing up, but I think the influence has only grown, as far as what characters get editorial push and support. I'm curious to see how that effects Iron Man and Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Wanda and Pietro Maximoff have been mutants since day 1 of their introduction, not only did Marvel mcu not show it in the movie (which i could understand bc of rights issues) but they went further and changed them in the comics too, its the most hated and ignored retcon in comic fandom that I am aware of. Taking away years of them struggling with the idea, especially pietro, that they are children of a villain and all the storylines that came with that, now being told that they dont matter because they aren't mutants anymore. There was no need to change them except for Marvel comics changing to fit the mcu, which i hate. It's a valid concern that marvel comics would change namor to fit a namor movie version.
    Yes, that was another MCU mess the comics followed.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

So I did make an 80th edit with the characters variant cover, I want to do one with all the submariner characters but that will take much longer so for now I made this one over the weekend. The Alex Ross art from Invaders #1 didn't match the look very well so I used another Namor art by Marko Djurdjevic from a Sub-Mariner variant cover. I thought it fit better.

Attachment 85260
    That is awesome! I love it!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

When Zdarsky was interviewed he said the only way he was interested in writing Namor was as a hero but if that's were he is going it has taken forever. All we've seen is a brainwashed crazy Namor again menacing the surface world. Hopefully there is a turning point really close by now, would be nice if he could go back to basics visually as well but by now I'm not expecting that change, I think we will have vampire Namor for awhile but at least a heroic Namor as a teammate with Cap and the Human Torch would be nice.
    I remember being very hopeful for that, Chip writing a hero Namor, but it seems he couldn't resist the "Mad King" route either. It makes me wonder if this was his original plan for the Namor solo he said he tried pitching, or if it was supposed to be something more long term plotted. Goth Namor's outfit is really just Phoenix Namor painted black, lol. Maybe we might see something soon in regards to hero namor. I love that art too, very old school.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That is awesome! I love it!
    Thanks Rev!

When Zdarsky was interviewed he said the only way he was interested in writing Namor was as a hero but if that's were he is going it has taken forever. All we've seen is a brainwashed crazy Namor again menacing the surface world. Hopefully there is a turning point really close by now, would be nice if he could go back to basics visually as well but by now I'm not expecting that change, I think we will have vampire Namor for awhile but at least a heroic Namor as a teammate with Cap and the Human Torch would be nice.
    We are getting heroic (and speedo) Namor with his team mates in the flashbacks, at least.

I remember being very hopeful for that, Chip writing a hero Namor, but it seems he couldn't resist the "Mad King" route either. It makes me wonder if this was his original plan for the Namor solo he said he tried pitching, or if it was supposed to be something more long term plotted. Goth Namor's outfit is really just Phoenix Namor painted black, lol. Maybe we might see something soon in regards to hero namor. I love that art too, very old school.

IIRC, Zdarsky didn't say he was going to write Namor as a hero. He said he wasn't interested in writing Namor as a villain. There's a world of gray between those two statements. Not to mention the perspectives of his dual heritage. As I've said before, Namor is an _Atlantean_ hero -- flawed and not always beloved, but those are his people.

This is also the first book in a long time where we are actually getting a Namor centric arc FIRST, instead of his story getting shoved to the back of line and disappearing in cancellations.

That said, I would very much like to see Namor back to making his own decisions and not being possessed, brain washed, etc. But I am very interested in seeing where this Serpent Crown business is going.

A surprising bit of good news ... we are getting a THIRD Namor omnibus! It's a follow up / volume 2 to the Golden Age TIMELY'S GREATEST Bill Everett Subby book. This will be his post war work, including the classic Atlas era issues. Looks like it will be coming out in April of next year.

Marvel proudly presents TIMELY'S GREATEST, a series of once-in-a-lifetime volumes presenting the greatest stories of the Golden Age, when Marvel was known as Timely Comics! After his service in World War II, Bill Everett returned to the Sub-Mariner without missing a beat. In fact, Everett's art and storytelling was better than ever. Never before reprinted, his post-war Sub-Mariner and Namora tales are anarchic, energetic and utterly endearing! This volume also features Everett's fan-favorite 1950s Sub-Mariner revival during Marvel's "Atlas Era." Alongside Namora, Princess Fen and intrepid love interest Betty Dean, Namor faces off against the nefarious Prince Byrrah, his own doppelganger, giant crocodiles and Communists aplenty! These stories defi ne the Sub-Mariner in a way never captured in any comic series before or since!

COLLECTING: SUB-MARINER COMICS 21-24, 26-30, 32-42; NAMORA 1-3; MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 84-86, 90-91; HUMAN TORCH 28, 30, 37-38; BLONDE PHANTOM 17; YOUNG MEN 24-28; MEN'S ADVENTURES 28
    https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/ti...9781302922504/

I really want the sliver age omnibus. To be honest I've never really loved the Byrne years.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I really want the sliver age omnibus. To be honest I've never really loved the Byrne years.
    There's pluses and minuses to Bryne's run -- but it's definitely NOT my favorite run. However, we are also getting the Jae Lee issues, and that storyline is one of my favorites.

The Silver Age Namor, as far as his solo, is already collected, but in 8 beautiful, but pricey, Marvel Masterworks. It's not as big as the omnibus, but the paper is much much better and thicker. And if you look around, you can get good prices on Namor's Masterworks.

Here's one of the covers for this second volume of Everett's Namor.

We are getting heroic (and speedo) Namor with his team mates in the flashbacks, at least.

IIRC, Zdarsky didn't say he was going to write Namor as a hero. He said he wasn't interested in writing Namor as a villain. There's a world of gray between those two statements. Not to mention the perspectives of his dual heritage. As I've said before, Namor is an _Atlantean_ hero -- flawed and not always beloved, but those are his people.

This is also the first book in a long time where we are actually getting a Namor centric arc FIRST, instead of his story getting shoved to the back of line and disappearing in cancellations.

That said, I would very much like to see Namor back to making his own decisions and not being possessed, brain washed, etc. But I am very interested in seeing where this Serpent Crown business is going.
    You're totally right, he did say he didn't want to write villain Namor and now that I think of it, I just assumed he would write hero Namor. Ah well, we will have to see in the end of this run is gonna be good or of Namor stays crazy throughout it. Namor is already suspecting something from the last issue I think.

Here's one of the covers for this second volume of Everett's Namor.

Oh very cool! So this year we might not be getting a solo yet, but we have all of these omnibuses to look forward to. Also the games and the funko pop.

Congratulations on Namor's 100th page!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Congratulations on Namor's 100th page!
    I missed that! A great milestone for us!

You're totally right, he did say he didn't want to write villain Namor and now that I think of it, I just assumed he would write hero Namor. Ah well, we will have to see in the end of this run is gonna be good or of Namor stays crazy throughout it. Namor is already suspecting something from the last issue I think.
    I don't think Zdarsky is going to write Namor as crazy to the end. And we have the flashbacks, which I have a theory about. I just hope Zdarsky can pull Namor out of the mess he's been tossed into by other writers and editorial and set Namor up for his return to Silver Age heroic greatness.

Oh very cool! So this year we might not be getting a solo yet, but we have all of these omnibuses to look forward to. Also the games and the funko pop.
    Seriously. I complain, but stuff I'd given up on, has showered down on us this anniversary year. Now if we can only get that good solo book at the end.

Any of you guys have the old Bowen statue based on Silver Age Sub-Mariner #1?